Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am curious to your experiance...
My impressions of the Michelins are below, I like em tho, even for 80-90% brisk road pace they still have the option to go off in light dirt better than a full road tire for sure. Honestly thats a good option to have, zero issues with grip on warm dry pavement, quite the oppo in fact once you get used to them. I’m pretty rigid on the OEM tire pressures for on road too.

Page 10 for pics etc

I did change the rear myself before I converted it to tubeless, that was my first time mind you with irons, but wow, what a beast with no bead breaker. I actually was on the phone for a shop to finish it for me (they refused) before I switched from soapy water as wheel lube and used WD-40 after Brett Tcaks recommendation...went right on. That was a real tough breaking the bead etc. No thanks unless definitely necessary;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My impressions of the Michelins are below, I like em tho, even for 80-90% brisk road pace they still have the option to go off in light dirt better than a full road tire for sure. Honestly thats a good option to have, zero issues with grip on warm dry pavement, quite the oppo in fact once you get used to them. I’m pretty rigid on the OEM tire pressures for on road too.

Page 10 for pics etc

I did change the rear myself before I converted it to tubeless, that was my first time mind you with irons, but wow, what a beast with no bead breaker. I actually was on the phone for a shop to finish it for me (they refused) before I switched from soapy water as wheel lube and used WD-40 after Brett Tcaks recommendation...went right on. That was a real tough breaking the bead etc. No thanks unless definitely necessary;)
Funny PSI lesson with these tires: I geared up for a sunny Sunday ride with a buddy, checked tires first as always and read low by almost 8lbs at the front, checked again, same, weird. Using very accurate and $$ Accutire gauge from the OCD track day world, has its own metal case etc digital bling blah blah. The rear tire was similar. So I pulled out the pump, set them to 29/36 cold and went for a ‘spirited’ ride. Bike felt great mind you, a bit more taut then usual but great, threw it on its side and it lapped it up, familiar roads, warm day, you know the drill. Zero issues of traction, simply a great day.
Next morning, similar ambient temp (bc temp affects PSI of course) and checked again, need to turn the gauge on first and I get a low battery warning..hmm. In goes a new 9 volt and onto the valve stem and turns out I was riding the day prev in pretty full on sport mode at 37F/45R. And they felt great. No sketchy, not weird, but great. Late turn in, early gas, the works.

I’m OCD enough about tire pressure to check very often, but this was very instructive about what modern dual compound tires can actually do. My buddy put the same tires on his KTM but unlike the Honda their OEM pressures are 38/42 (1090R) so it dawns on me that of course, these tires need to work, and work well with all the different OEM setups and PSI settings, and they do. And they care less about the ‘ideal’ PSI than I had imagined prev. Niggling about being a pound off might feel different to the rider, and yes that matters in your head, but as far as the tire goes its still going to stick way past what you think it should, and even then stick some more as long as you can exhale and lean it in.

There should be a Days of Thunder ’matched tire’ reference about now..

I still check PSI before every backroad ride, but I trust them completely knowing they held like Velcro even when set at what I would have prev thought to be ~10psi over the norm. Impressive to me, and certainly shifted my thoughts on tire tech/capabilities for the future no doubt. I had been thinking to go to a full road tire for extra sporting fun, but no longer.

Your own exp may vary, but I’m fully sold on them

E

21 - 23 of 23 Posts