Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I want honda to build an adv bike in this segment in the absolute worst way. However in the article it mentions building the bike to a price..... I'm anxiously awaiting more details on this. I dont think there's any way honda would do this, but I'd love to see a range of options available, performance, suspension and otherwise, so we could order the bike to fit our personal specs. At least I hope they'd be designing this with the t7 and ktm 790 in mind. I really want to see a competitive offering here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As they say, lighter is always righter in the dirt. Depending on the weight it comes in at, this could be a really fun machine. My hopes are that Honda takes the same approach to the new bike as they did with the 2020 - actually listen to what customers want (ie, factory installed outlets, cruise control, heated grips, etc.). My guess is that the new machine will come in around $12,000 US.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I hope Honda pulls out a sub 400 wet weight rabbit out of the hat.

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just as long as they don't use the low revving, half Jazz engine that is in the NC750....oh they are doing. BIG mistake if they do (From a bikers perspective)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure opinions on this will differ, but IMO there is a lot of benefit in a low revving, high torque engine in the dirt. I mean, isn't that one of the things KLR and Himalaya riders love about their tractor-like bikes? But, to be even remotely competitive in the class, I think the new 790 engine will have to be similar in character to the AT 1000 engine. Time will tell. I wouldn't rule it out until you throw a leg over it. As I recall, when the AT was launched, people complained that the engine was down on power when compared to the competition. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It makes sense that they would fill that part of their motorcycle line-up. I'm not sure Motorcycle News is a reputable place to look for information. Most of what they publish about 'upcoming' bikes is photoshopped and pure speculation - they've been doing that for years because everyone gets excited when they see a potential new model coming.

Reactions: ViperTech18

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm sure opinions on this will differ, but IMO there is a lot of benefit in a low revving, high torque engine in the dirt. I mean, isn't that one of the things KLR and Himalaya riders love about their tractor-like bikes? But, to be even remotely competitive in the class, I think the new 790 engine will have to be similar in character to the AT 1000 engine. Time will tell. I wouldn't rule it out until you throw a leg over it. As I recall, when the AT was launched, people complained that the engine was down on power when compared to the competition. Just food for thought.
The AT is down on power, another 20 horses would be great, low revving engine would be hopeless in a 790 style bike, they are made to have fun on, not boring, I cant see the point in owning a low rev cruiser when in the dirt is when I want to Braaaap, to be able to break loose the rear at will is whats needed,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True that, but I'll still give this new offering a proper look once it hits the dealership. I had a Triumph Tiger 800 XC before the AT and find the 800cc market to be the "sweet spot" in the ADV market. If they do this bike right, with the dealer network and reliability most Hondas are known for, this could be their next best selling machine. I see it as a replacement for the void Kawasaki left when they discontinued the KLR. The new Versys 300x just isn't up to the challenge and the 500 that Honda offers is just too small. An 800 should be perfect. One only needs to look at the Triumph Tiger lineup to see the potential here. Pay attention Honda - opportunity is staring you in the face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts