Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont know, but im very interested, because i have not yet my futur bike and actual Africa is too huge and heavy for me with 80% in crowded city and 15% in off road.
Something like more than 75 HP and less than 180 Kg with DCT will be a dream.

I know only a project - maybe abandoned - of a 250 mini Africa.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you’re a Honda fan and followed their dual-sport bikes for any amount of time, you know that the XR650L has been unchanged for decades. Yes. Decades. That’s not an exaggeration either haha. We can click off another year now as the 2018 XR650L goes unchanged for this year too. It’s a tank though, why mess with something that’s bulletproof? Well, I shouldn’t say that as I could list about 1,000 reasons as to why it could be but I won’t make you read the novel that I would end of typing about that topic… Let’s look at something positive though, Honda still isn’t done with their 2018 adventure motorcycle models so maybe we’ll see something slot into that size category for those that want something in that cc range but would like a tad-bit more newer technology – something like a mini Africa Twin CRF750L or something along those lines would be awesome! This is what i read, i don't know if its a hint or just someone wishing. It came off of the Hondaprokevin website of the 2018 lineup linked with the xr650l. I can't see why honda would do a bike like that seeing as they already have the nc700x, i have one but would have got the africa twin but my feet barley touched the ground. I still want a AT but i thought i would wait till the 18's came out hoping maybe i would grow another inch but at 52 i don't think thats going to happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you’re a Honda fan and followed their dual-sport bikes for any amount of time, you know that the XR650L has been unchanged for decades. Yes. Decades. That’s not an exaggeration either haha. We can click off another year now as the 2018 XR650L goes unchanged for this year too. It’s a tank though, why mess with something that’s bulletproof? Well, I shouldn’t say that as I could list about 1,000 reasons as to why it could be but I won’t make you read the novel that I would end of typing about that topic… Let’s look at something positive though, Honda still isn’t done with their 2018 adventure motorcycle models so maybe we’ll see something slot into that size category for those that want something in that cc range but would like a tad-bit more newer technology – something like a mini Africa Twin CRF750L or something along those lines would be awesome! This is what i read, i don't know if its a hint or just someone wishing. It came off of the Hondaprokevin website of the 2018 lineup linked with the xr650l. I can't see why honda would do a bike like that seeing as they already have the nc700x, i have one but would have got the africa twin but my feet barley touched the ground. I still want a AT but i thought i would wait till the 18's came out hoping maybe i would grow another inch but at 52 i don't think thats going to happen.
The bold part is straight from the Honda Pro Kevin website with no link given. You shouldn't do it that way, you could get the Africa Twin Forum in trouble since it is original content from another site. Put it in quotes and only use a couple of sentences followed with a link to avoid the issue.

Here's the link
http://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-2018-honda-motorcycle-models-lineup-release-3

The reason the XR650L is unchanged for so long is that it is grandfathered into 20th century emissions laws. Add EFI and it would have to meet 21st century emissions laws. That could require a significant redesign of the combustion chamber, piston, rings, cylinder and exhaust to keep the power up to competitive levels and meet modern emission laws. That's why it doesn't change and the same for Kawasaki's KLR650 and Suzuki's DR650. Imagine what they would cost if they had to have their engines significantly redesigned. It would be better to build a completely new model from the ground up.

As for a 750 AT I don't see any prediction, just some wishing. But I could see Honda putting the CB500X in a AT like chassis. That would be a bullseye in the ADV market I bet. Currently setting up a 500X for ADV riding is rather expensive and it still falls short of the mark but Honda could cure that problem with a proper chassis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts