Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't believe I didn't notice this before!
Unless this condition can occur from something coming loose, the only other explanation is that it came from factory this way or dealer build?
No the bike has never been dropped or even laid on it's side, hasn't been strapped down or ridden hard off road. The is nothing I can think of to cause this, so I missed it for 3700 kms?

One photo shows the bike at 78km on a straight road to verify the wheel position. It looks like the risers are installed incorrectly, maybe just loosen and realign?

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Depending on the camber of the road you may have to use a some countersteer to keep on a straight line?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've gone almost 20,000 with mine like that. I guess I'll get around to loosening up the bar risers this winter. :)

Reactions: -mek-

·
Registered
170 Posts
Niterunnr if you do a search this topic has been around for sometime now. Mine was the same when i took delivery as was many others. You have to loosen the bars and the risers, align and re tighten.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on the camber of the road you may have to use a some countersteer to keep on a straight line?
Nope, check the gap at the fork adjuster, she's out of whack.

I've gone almost 20,000 with mine like that. I guess I'll get around to loosening up the bar risers this winter. :)
Niterunnr if you do a search this topic has been around for sometime now. Mine was the same when i took delivery as was many others. You have to loosen the bars and the risers, align and re tighten.
Oh man, my bad for not searching that one. I guess I was so surprised after my ride I needed to hear what you guys think and I skipped the first step. Happy to hear it's not a big deal and easily fixed.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
112 Posts
jip, I have been saying this for quite a while already, I have purchase a couple of brand new Honda's which had forks & bars slightly misaligned.
Even have a theory of the way the bike is strapped down in the crate, if the crate twists enough the bars & forks which are tightened down get twisted out of position.. That slight twist not only compromises handling but also could give you back problems because of your body compensating for reach length.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Compromised handling? Back problems? I doubt it - nearly every dirt bike has tweaked bars.
Move the bars to full lock and reef on them some. Most times this is enough.

Then check your chain is properly aligned so you aren’t tracking sideways down the road. Might cause neck problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Compromised handling? Back problems? I doubt it - nearly every dirt bike has tweaked bars.
Move the bars to full lock and reef on them some. Most times this is enough.

Then check your chain is properly aligned so you aren’t tracking sideways down the road. Might cause neck problems.
Yeah I remember the last bike I had which the mechanic did some "reef" ing.. ended up shifting the fork tubes and misaligning the triple clamps.. after that the front tracking was rubbish.. but the bar was straight :wink2:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Makes a difference if the bars are rubber mounted like on the AT or Dr650.
Holding against the turn stop and reefing a bit is easier than holding the front wheel between your legs and reefing on the bars or tapping the front wheel against a tree.

Yes, best to loosen the bar clamps and riser nuts (not easy) but if reefing against the stop without undue force fixes the problem then no need to dig out wrenches.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a street guy, this is my first ADV and the last dirt bike I owned was long ago. Perhaps this is characteristic of bikes that are designed to take a crash?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I finally got my bars right. Loosened both upper and lower bar clamp bolts, then it was easy to align tha bar right.

Before, bar twisted to right:

After: bar straight:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had to straighten my bar and upper fork clamp alignment as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only noticed mine were like this after a drop. Installed risers and new bars (they were slightly bent) and I can tell it's still a micrometer off but it's close enough.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's really quite easy to adjust the bar position, which I've had to do twice after drops. You'll need a 17mm socket, 18" / 45cm of socket extensions, and (ideally) a universal joint. Torque settings on the riser bolts are 39 Nm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Noticed mine were out of alignment in Poland this year. Just held the wheel between my legs and smacked the handguard (Barkbuster) to straighten them. Had to do it a few times as they moved over time on the rough roads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine were crooked right off the showroom floor. Took me maybe 5 minutes to straighten it all out. No big deal but I expect a little more QC from big Red.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine are off by just a hair. But it's enough to drive an OCD type like me a bit nuts every time I see it. Nice to know it might take just a whack to line them up.
Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts