Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Mitas E07

27K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  waldopepper66 
#1 ·
I spent a few weeks reading about different 60/40 and 50/50 tires before deciding but finally settled on the Mitas E07. The stock Dunlap were, to me, fantastic on dry tarmac but gave almost no confidence on loose gravel or sandy forest roads which are common in Florida. I even crossed some 8-10 inch deep flooded dirt roads with the Dunlops and it was an exercise in butt-puckering.

Thankfully the UPS fairy delivered the tires early today, and my local shop had idle hands, so I got the tires installed and the break-in service done in one shot.

First impressions from the drive home are that these sit a little taller than stock - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I noticed it at the first intersection but got used to it quickly. The Mitas also have a different tip-in feel than the Dunlop while turning. The Dunlop would lean over linearly and felt planted through corners. The E07 first ride felt a little more 'tippy' when you lean over a little. It's pretty drastic at first, but I found a roundabout and did a few passes, and it started to settle in. I think it's a matter of developing new muscle memory more than anything. I was used to the Dunlop feel and the Mitas E07 profile is just different enough to require an adjustment period. I also took them through a local park and it immediately felt more planted, stable, and predictable in grass, gravel and dirt. I can't wait to get some trail time on them.

An interesting observation, at least from my perspective, is that they are not very photogenic. They look much better in person than any of the photos I've seen, mine especially.

I'll report back as I get more miles on them.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I didn't feel anything I would describe as push. Aside from the tippy feeling they were a little noisier above 45mph but otherwise felt fine. It was damp out and I only did 10 miles so I couldn't really put them through the paces. Next dry day we get I'll see how they feel on the joyride routes I frequent.

#4 ·
I have about 1200 miles on mine. They are awesome off-road, and very confident on-road.

I have one major gripe however, at 30-50mph the front has an oscillation where it feels as though the tire is out of round. It is very annoying, and I don't know if it's a balance issue or the tire is actually out of round. Above and below those speeds it is not there.

Not sure what to do, maybe play with the damping settings on the front or try to have it balanced again. :(

Before I bought them I read that they do not come with the heavy spot marked, so maybe balance issue? They added 4 weights to the front, which seems like a lot.

#7 ·
I have one major gripe however, at 30-50mph the front has an oscillation where it feels as though the tire is out of round. It is very annoying, and I don't know if it's a balance issue or the tire is actually out of round. Above and below those speeds it is not there.
For me the stock front, motoz tractionator front, and shinko 804 do this at these speeds. I installed all 3 myself so no balancing (traded them back and fourth a few times). It seems to be related to the engine vibration/powertrain vibration because if I pull in the clutch it stops.

#5 ·
Did about 25 miles today on dry tarmac and noticed a few things. On the freeway at 70-80mph, with the Batzen screen fully elevated, the front end wobbled (squished?) around noticeably. I use the term wobble because it wasn't a vibration, and it didn't feel like the grooves in the road were pulling the front end around, it just felt like the front was light and like I was driving over a layer of gelatin. The return trip, with the Batzen fully lowered, seemed to behave more like the OEM Dunlops did. I'm still wearing off the rubber nipples (not sure what they're called) so I'll give it another 50-75 miles of evaluation before I call it a trend.

At typical city/suburb speeds the E07 felt great. I'm increasingly more comfortable with the tip-in feel and was able to rail a few tight corners with complete confidence. So far I'm very pleased and expect them to get even better as they scrub in.

#6 ·
Hi , got the Mitas EO7s after a few thousand Km and also notice the oscillation on smooth roads . Have tried loosening the axle bolts , resetting the bead but think the tire is our of round .
Guess you get what you pay for but thinking of asking the supplier .
PS , they are a reasonable compromise tyre .

#16 ·
I have almost completed my around Australia ride on Mitas E07 Dakars. Fitted with heavy duty tubes and running pressure on chainguard. Front tyre has done 17500kms and is still not down to wear bars and rear has 15500kms and still OK as well. Went for a ride up the Bruner Hwy from Drake to Tenterfield and they performed well. Replacing them with another set before they are down to wear bars.

#18 ·
I can not complain at all about the stock Dunlop tires, except in the sand. They are 90/10 tires, so no complaints as I put over 10,000 miles on the factory tires. In the dirt the stock tires did have the rear end of the AT doing a Hula dance.

The Midas E07 standard tires I now have put over 2000 miles on. No more hula dancing in the dirt, and surprising to me is very little road noise. Because of the very little road noise, I do like these tires better than the Heidenau K60 Scout. All I need to know is how many miles I will be able to get on the 07 tires, as that is still unknow to me on the Africa Twin.

#19 ·
Mitas e07 are my go to tyre everything on the large adventure bikes.

I fitted a set to my two two days ago. On her they feel even better then they did on the ktm 950 adventure s I had before her.

Wouldn't use anything else for a bike requiring a bit off everything were terrain is concerned.

#21 ·
A quick update after 800 miles on the Mitas. On road they are good. The feel is different from OEM which is to be expected, and there is a little noise from the front wheel due to the tread pattern, but they grip fine and I have leaned it waaaay over with no problems. Off-road the rear is awesome. On gravel and sand-covered roads it does very well but the front feels a little vague. I'm not an off-road pro but I've ridden my fair share of clay and sand living in Florida. I avoid mud if possible and haven't been in rocky/desert areas, so can't comment on those.

I read several folks use the TKC-80 front with the E07 rear, I think I'm finding out why. The rear hooks up in loose sand/dirt and inspires confidence to rooster tail and get on the gas but the front seems to loose feeling when turning or when there's an inch or three of sand over the hardpack road. I almost bit the dust in a patch of thick sand when the front seemed to plow but luckily a little bit of "oh ****" throttle 2nd gear kept her upright. I tried 2 different tire pressures - 25 and 32 lbs. Low pressure definitely has more grip but the bike felt bouncier. Higher pressure is much firmer and better on the street, but seems to make things worse off road up front, as expected.

I will probably fit the TKC 80 up front sooner rather than later. I'll keep the E07 front (along with the OEM Dunlops) in the shed as a spare. Life's too short to grind out 6,000 more miles on a front tire if there's a better option out there for $120!

#23 ·
I previously used a tyre with stiff side walls. It was really not great in thick sand. Even when nearly fully deflated it still looked like the tyre was fully inflate.

#24 ·
I have a set of E-07s on my BMW 650 and came to similar conclusions after a thousand miles.

The rear tire has all the traction in the world, but the front doesn't really like to play ball when it's leaned over. It goes, but doesn't feel like it is going to be there for you.

I also noticed the 'walking' feeling from the front on roads with a certain size of exposed rocks. It kind of takes care of itself, so you just loosen up like when you're on gravel and let the bike do its thing.

Finally, the front tire doesn't have a smooth tip-in. Once you get to a certain point, the bike feels like it suddenly falls into the corner and you need to add steering to prop it up again. I've traced this to the big gap between the center lugs and the outer lugs.

I'm not planning to use these for the AT. I'm going to try a TKC front and a 805 rear combination that works well for a buddy with a 1190.

#25 ·
I just replaced well worn front and rear with the rear very squared off from highway miles, Heidenau K60 tires. I put on a TKC80 front with a MotoZ Tractionator rear. I'm getting the high speed oscilation mentioned in this thread. I hate to mess with dampening as I like where I have it for off road, but the oscilation at freeway speed is quite annoying. Any other suggestions? Like others I checked all bolts and alignment. And it was installed at a dealer with machine balancing. In 30 years of riding I've never felt anything like it from a tire change.

BTW; The TKC80 was a vast improvement off road. I liked it a lot. Even the on road grip through the curves was good. I'm just not enjoying the oscilation thing going on. The Tractionator spun off road a lot more than the K60. I know this because I was riding the same roads, with the same traction control setting, and it's was cutting out a lot more. Which I'm very surprised by considering how worn the K60 looked. The only thing we could surmise is the squared off K60 was actually making more contact patch to grip on the harder packed surface of the fire roads. They are loose sandy/dirt surface with hard pack underneath. The knobby nature of the new Tractionator did not offer more traction and evidently less. I actually ended up shutting off the traction control and slipping the clutch out of corners to control my spinning/slides. The rear Tractionator was really howling on the freeway as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.