Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think? This is very sad that Honda considers this work as acceptable. Do you think a licensed inspector or engineer would put their stamp on this? That would had been a deal breaker if I saw this before purchase. Planning on discussing this with the dealer tomorrow.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It looks bad but sound. I sold my 2017 standard AT a couple of months ago, and with hindsight I think the frame was cracked around the welds on the downtube at the front. At first I just thought it was the paint that was cracked but now think that if they can't weld neatly, how do we know the other factors in the weld were right?
Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Possibly a bit untidy, but outwardly/visually the welds look like they could be strong enough. No harm in having the dealer check though. Not that they would know too much about inspecting welds, especially when they have a coating on them (white paint). If you are really worried have a welding shop/inspector check them out as they will know what they are looking at.

Some other owners.... (seems to be white framed models only - probably because white shows anomalies more easily) appear to have welds that have cold lap, aka lack of fusion with the plates being welded, and that shows even with white paint sprayed on. One bike had a totally crappy butt weld on a tubular that they missed about 30% of the tube end! Can't really see any signs of that in your images.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts