Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,369 Posts
I think mine was 2mph off (?) GPS said 115mph speedo said 117mph but that was on dirt.
I should check it on tarmac…

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought my AT in 2017, I spent the first couple of weeks with Car Drivers all over me because I was 10% under the speed limit. When I put a GPS on, I started adding the 10% and life was much less stressful.
Then I installed one of these speed correctors between the pulse generator, on top of the gearbox, and the speedo.They are now so close that I notice the effect of tyre wear.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Since there is barely any info on what the difference is between GPS-speed and speedo-speed on the CRF1100L, I decided to make a video with this topic.

My 2019 seems to show about 6% higher than actual speed. It is a good thing to be aware of. Around here if you insists on having the speedometer display the posted speed limit with that error factor eventually someone is going to run you off the road or drive over you.

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
492 Posts
I will have to check mine out, I do know when I am doing 70ish mph I am keeping up with most of the other traffic on the road so...

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2019 seems to show about 6% higher than actual speed. It is a good thing to be aware of. Around here if you insists on having the speedometer display the posted speed limit with that error factor eventually someone is going to run you off the road or drive over you.
I just wanted to be aware of it. Sometimes, when I am not in a rush and the road is not crowded, I will just stick to the speedometer speed and go 100km/h. When it's crowded, I will ride 96km/h GPS (104km/h speedometer) just to go a little with the flow. People in the Netherlands always rush and drive way too fast. But sometimes sticking to the 100km/h speedometer speed also keeps you out of trouble, because it keeps the "retards" far in front of you :) .

In general I don't care. It helps keep me under the radar and out of trouble. :)
I don't really care either, because I don't like rushing when riding on the motorcycle. We have a lot of speedcamera's here in the Netherlands, and the fines are not nice (about €10 per kilometer over the speedlimit). So knowing I can go 108km/h on the speedometer when passing someone (who's not paying attention) without getting into trouble is just nice to know.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
392 Posts
How much does tire size have to do with the difference. They are the same number size but tires differ in diameter.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I mounted a Garmin Zumo XT on the bike about year ago or so and, what I've found is, my speedo on the A/T is almost dead on with the Garmin. What does that mean? Not a clue. Is the Garmin off in speed, I doubt it. Way back before 2009, Honda was building many, many cars and motorcycles like the infamous Goldwing, with speedos that were way off. They were off in the direction that, the cars and bikes, would accumulate more miles than they should. And that would result in many cars and motorcycles that exited the warranty, WAY BEFORE they should have, in terms of mileage.

So, what that did was, culimnate a class action law suit on behalf of the Honda owners. I don't know how long that suit took to win but, the owners did win. Honda, as of around 2009, was supposed to build both their cars and motorcycles with considerably more accurate speedos. Well, based on some of your reports, it sure doesn't seem so.
Scott

Reactions: Freezin' Geezer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I mounted a Garmin Zumo XT on the bike about year ago or so and, what I've found is, my speedo on the A/T is almost dead on with the Garmin. What does that mean? Not a clue. Is the Garmin off in speed, I doubt it. Way back before 2009, Honda was building many, many cars and motorcycles like the infamous Goldwing, with speedos that were way off. They were off in the direction that, the cars and bikes, would accumulate more miles than they should. And that would result in many cars and motorcycles that exited the warranty, WAY BEFORE they should have, in terms of mileage.

So, what that did was, culimnate a class action law suit on behalf of the Honda owners. I don't know how long that suit took to win but, the owners did win. Honda, as of around 2009, was supposed to build both their cars and motorcycles with considerably more accurate speedos. Well, based on some of your reports, it sure doesn't seem so.
Scott
The manufacturer is required to make sure the speedometer is a little off, otherwise changing tires etc. makes getting tickets for speeding easier, and that will cause big issues for them. 10% is what's considered "normal", but mine is 8% when checking it at 100km/h. That's definitely the best way to check. Go ride 100km/h and check much off it is, and you know how much it's off. My previous motorcycles were much more off. The '94 VS800GL was over 10%, meaning I had to ride 110-115km/h to actually come close to 100km/h GPS-speed.

An even better way to check how much it is off, is by going 200km/h, because then it should become even more accurate. But.. well.. the only place I can try that is on the autobahn in Germany, and at that speed I won't be bothered with the margin of error on the speedometer and also I won't be paying attention to that then.

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
492 Posts
In the UK and EU I think the law says a speedo can never under report a speed but it can over report by up to 10% plus 6mph (or something around there) so at 70mph your speedo would still be within the law if it was reporting as much as 83mph but it would fall foul of the law if it read 69mph.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The speedo on my 2016 is off 4 mph per the GPS. When running the highway at ~85 mph indicated the GPS indicates 84.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the UK and EU I think the law says a speedo can never under report a speed but it can over report by up to 10% plus 6mph (or something around there) so at 70mph your speedo would still be within the law is it was reporting as much as 83mph but it would fall foul of the law if it read 69mph.
This standard is the same in Australia. Therefore, a very conservative manufacturer may aim to over read the speed by the maximum allowable 10%. Keeps the Legal Department happy, but really annoys Owners like me.
As a vulnerable road user, I detest Cars passing me. Because I am a relatively small object on the road, many Car Drivers feel they can safely get much closer to me. Between the "Tailgating" Car Drivers and a revenue crazed Police Force, I prefer to know exactly what speed I am doing.
Maybe, I should get a thermometer for this Summer that under reads by 10 degrees. I may feel better because instead of reading the real 40 degrees Celsius, it will only read 30 degrees;)

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
This standard is the same in Australia. Therefore, a very conservative manufacturer may aim to over read the speed by the maximum allowable 10%. Keeps the Legal Department happy, but really annoys Owners like me.
As a vulnerable road user, I detest Cars passing me. Because I am a relatively small object on the road, many Car Drivers feel they can safely get much closer to me. Between the "Tailgating" Car Drivers and a revenue crazed Police Force, I prefer to know exactly what speed I am doing.
Maybe, I should get a thermometer for this Summer that under reads by 10 degrees. I may feel better because instead of reading the real 40 degrees Celsius, it will only read 30 degrees;)
Sadly, the passing cages are probably not even paying attention to the road no matter who they're passing. :rolleyes:

I guess an upshot is those speeding cages can strike the ones ahead of them, versus your behind.

= = =

I am uncertain if cage mentality has really changed over the many decades. Generation after generation repeat the same mistakes because nobody listens.

Sometimes I think humanity is just an ephemeral state, like the dinosaur era. I am pretty sure there were some pretty dumb dinos that did things that short-circuited their lives. Why would we be any different in the big picture?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much does tire size have to do with the difference. They are the same number size but tires differ in diameter.
This can indeed change it a little bit. A bigger tire in diameter will be more accurate to the speedometer speed, while a smaller tire in diameter will be more off.

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
492 Posts
Just been out on my AT and downloaded a GPS Speed app for the phone.
I tested at 4 speeds.
20mph and GPS was 19-20 changing back and forth.
30mph and GPS was 29mph
40mph and GPS was 38-39 changing back and forth.
70mph and GPS was 67-68 changing back and forth.

So GPS reading roughly 4% lower than AT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just been out on my AT and downloaded a GPS Speed app for the phone.
I tested at 4 speeds.
20mph and GPS was 19-20 changing back and forth.
30mph and GPS was 29mph
40mph and GPS was 38-39 changing back and forth.
70mph and GPS was 67-68 changing back and forth.

So GPS reading roughly 4% lower than AT.
What tires do you use?

I use the "Metzeler Karoo Street" tires.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts