Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like my aluminum bags and will keep them but want soft bags for off road riding. To use the OEM racks requires some garage engineering.

The OEM racks require three items be addressed: the muffler offset, welded lugs on the bottom bar of the racks, and the top attachment point does need to be removed. This picture shows all three items.

I asked for help from Givi. I figured their bags, they would have a solution. Nope. The GRT709 will not work with the 2020 AT racks. Have a nice day...

I asked Mosko Moto for thoughts and after four emails had a solution. Granted, the solution I executed was not the one discussed but, hey, they were willing to work with me.

I dismounted the top retaining attachment (the grey rectangular part with the two bolts visible in the above pic) from the OEM racks and used six Exhaust Insulators from my local auto parts store to shim the Mosko Moto wedges.

Note the Mosko Moto bolts and washer plate on the left. Shockingly, they are a perfect alignment.

The Mosko Moto-supplied M6 x 40mm bolts (Joint Connectors) are too short for this shimming using the exhaust insulators so I had to get longer M6s. I experimented with 60mm and 50mm lengths as well as cap and beveled heads. I think the perfect fit would be M6 x55mm button heads but couldn't find them in the store. I have since ordered some stainless [EDIT: M6 x 50 and 55mm] button head bolts and will replace my temporary hardware (and add loctite).

Here's what they look like loaded.

I know, not symmetric, but I think that space on the muffler side has tool bag written all over it....and I did lose some volume but I'm happy with the results.

The left bag is fairly straight forward. Add the shims and bolt it on.

Ignore the 511 bag in the top right pic. It is my tire repair gear and I need to work out a more elegant attachment method.

The right side is a little more involved due to the muffler.

1- I was able to use the BMW (gasp) Oil Cooler Adapter. This pic just shows the adapter resting on the lugs. It is not installed at this point.
2- To get the Mosko Moto Wedge to the same level as the left bag, I had to use stainless bolts and lock nuts on the top in order to clear the bend in the Oil Cooler Adapter. In effect the upper two bolts you can see do nothing because they are above the adapter plate. It's sufficient but hope to replace that adapter in the future with a new one I'm told is in the works.
3- The shims plus adapter need the longer M6 x 60mm bolts on the lower pucks. Also there is only one puck installed in this pic. I added the other after this shot was taken. [EDIT: I have also added a 3rd shim to help with impact support, but it does not use a puck because it won't fit between the rack and the muffle. See pic below.]
4- I wrapped the upper rack bar with rubber to dampen the Oil Cooler Adapter rattle. Mosko Moto does supply some padding but I prefer old inner tube for this type of work.
5- The BMW Oil Cooler Adapter is slightly too short in the horizontal distance from the top bar to align with the shims I used. I could probably shave some of that shim down but I prefer the stand off from the lug, small as it is. Note the welded lug and the alignment at the adapter just to the right of the lug's mushroom head. You can see the cant.

So there you have it. If you have the OEM aluminum bags for the 2020 Africa Twin, you can in fact adapt the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L soft bags to your machine with minimal fuss.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After another discussion with Mosko Moto, I've added four more shims (slightly different model than those on the wedges). I have the new ones zip-tied to the four corners of the frame which will in theory distribute any impact forces.

I think I'll be better off than most with "normal" frame mounts because I have basically installed a bag shock absorber system.

[Edit: added the following pic.]

[Edit: new thought] The rubber shims on the frame push against the OEM rack while the frame pushes against the wedge which in turn has rubber shims pushing against the rack.

As alternative, you could also just double the frame. The one against the bag would remain normal and the one against the OEM rack would be trimmed to fit around the welded lugs on the rack's bottom bar. Prettier, but slightly heavier, and substantially more expensive. You would still need to shim the wedge.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First ride- no issues.

Tool bag rides nicely. Wouldn't go RTW with it there, but for civilized neighborhoods, I like it. It rests on the adapter and is afixed to the bag. Bag off and tools go too. Will have come up with an option to ride without the bags and keep the tools, but not a priority. I don't normally basecamp so the bags don't get dropped often.

Thought I had a good ocean shot, only to discover only one pic turned out....ah well...here she is on the beach.

[EDIT:] I added nylon spacers to the pucks to help keep the shims from deforming and being pulled around the racks.

I also found that M6 x 50mm was good for the left bag shims and M6 x 55mm was good for the right.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've switched out the exhaust insulators to a more robust version. I swapped out both the frame and wedge mounted shims. If you plan to follow this method for your own set up, I recommend the stiffer shim as the originals I used were deforming slightly. The new ones were available on line from various sources. I saw prices ranging from $2 to $12 USD. Needless to say, I went with the $2. I still used the nylon spacer also added metal washers to keep them from pushing into the shim.

Had these bags out for an extended weekend ride in north Florida. I managed to get in some good dirt (for me) and one water crossing. I found the bike was great and the bags were convenient to use.

I'm using various MOLLE pouches I have in abundance and am very happy with the set up. I'm still waiting on the 5L pockets to be delivered and I bought the tent pole bag. I think that will complete my planned ensemble. Good system. I especially liked the quick off to go into accommodations for the night.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dieselboy, looks great and thank you for sharing this with the community. I'm casually shopping soft panniers, pretty much between mosko and giant loop. Whenever you can get chance, can you take a level picture of the side, front, and back? I'm trying to get a better perspective of how big they are. I'm on the fence between the 25 and 35.

Side to side, are they pretty close to the width of the handlebars?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amphib, near as I can figure the bars are 39.5in and the bags are 42.5in (with my "huge" stand-off on the OEM racks). For reference, the stick in the picture is a 48 inch ruler.

I honestly debated the 25L bags, but I figured if I needed less, I would simply compress the 35L bags. If I needed more on the 25L, it was more problematic.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good reasoning. I forgot they can do that. Thank you for info and the pics, it really helps. I look forward to hearing about your journeys and life with them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts