Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2023 Africa Twin 1100 manual (on backorder)
218 Posts
Symmetrical rack because you can slap stuff behind it on the side that doesn't have the exhaust. I have a Rotopax with water on one side, comes in perfectly for cooking, washing and drinking. Some people also like putting a tool tube or something like that on the inside of the rack.

Running double OS32, even when filled beyond the brim it's minimally wider than the bars.

I wouldn't consider it enough for "luxuries", I also have two OS6 on the front crashbars and my backpack on the rear as you can see here. That said, my setup is based on "indefinite" trip length. I usually only carry 3 sets of clothing and 5 days worth of undies/socks, can wash them as required.

Camouflage Shoe Sky Ballistic vest Military camouflage

· Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for your insights and can't argue with your reasoning there and that's a sweet looking setup you have! I live in a beautiful part of Colorado so most of my rides are local short joy rides where I wish I didn't have the added weight/aerodynamics of pannier racks but heckin seems multiday trips aren't what these bikes are all about. Can't wait to experience the real deal. Operation find the right setup for now.
Most racks are easy to remove, rackless options tend to require taping the side panels on the rear (or dealing with them scuffing up). For me the rear rack also works as another crash structure, keeps the exhaust and rear off the ground.

I generally don't have the passenger pegs mounted (they hurt when they bite your calves), which means a total of 6 bolts have to be loosened to remove the Outback Rack I have. Possibly an option in your case as it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to rack up.

Another benefit of a tool tube type situation is that you could put your tentpoles in there as well; right now I have to stash everything inside the panniers.

That said, my usual carry is (keep in mind, my camping stuff is small/basic):
Sleeping mat, sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, camping chair, tent (all fits in one pannier)
The other pannier is basically cooking stuff (stove, gas cartridges, cooking pot, cutlery), clothing (nice set, everyday clothing, shoes, slippers), spare space for food/drink items.

Ditching the cooking stuff and more minimal clothing I easily have space for loads of beer, that's what my packing on a more casual ride with the boys looks like. If you're mainly riding and camping all you care about is clean socks and underwear anyways. If you're out with a few mates for a day or 2-3, you'll have enough from my experience.

· Registered
218 Posts
I've got my heart set on the Mosko pannier set up now and leaning towards 30L+5L for both sides. Big bike deserves big luggage. Mosko pannier bars are asymmetrical and that's only option. But I got the one Kriega 20L bag for its easy lash-together design, maybe that will help accommodate the need to keep liquids and heavy crap centered and low.

On a side note, I've been looking at hammock camping lately. Gonna dabble with it since it seems to make sense for motocamping, depending on location. Going to try a test snooze in my backyard with my new cheap underquilt when it warms up to see if that should be pursued to maybe save weight and simplify. Or if possible bring tent and hammock to maximize camp spot locations and have options based on weather.

I hope I can pull off like a 4 night trip to Moab this spring after an initial more local test night out on the bike. My main riding buddy has a KTM500 Six Days and he's going rackless so it'll be cool to see the difference of the pros and cons of our opposite set ups.
You can get Mosko mounting plates for SW-motech and Outback racks, your options may be more diverse than you think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts