Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I haven’t been riding much so decided to relive a few rides.

This past September I rode to the Fairplay area here in Colorado and went over Mosquito Pass. I came from the west, over the summit and then down into Leadville on the east side.

It has quite a few “milestones“ to see along the way from old mines to beautiful vistas. Pictures never do justice.

The ride up was pretty steep and rocky. The east side, heading down had quite a bit of snow which made for a white-knuckle moment or two. In the end, it was worth it.

Bookem

6FAAC30B-037C-43E7-AC71-A2705F1B48B5.jpeg DE5D26FE-B736-41A0-8B22-23F4CEE748DE.jpeg B4D5AF0A-903F-4F11-885C-49682AD25BDC.jpeg 9A3A9326-A77F-4533-97DD-8708C6AF5A64.jpeg EC6473FB-DD96-479E-A513-FF7FCC79377E.jpeg D540F616-BF1A-48E6-8063-26DE91D9273D.jpeg

·
Registered
941 Posts
When all this craziness is done, I'd certainly like to come back down there and do some dual-sport riding. That pass looks amazing! I've ridden touring and sport touring bikes on the highways in that area but never offroad.

Reactions: WeeWilly and Bookem

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
Been going to CO every year for at least 10 yrs. Started on a klr and now the drz, I think the ATAS would be a bit much for me to handle some of those passes. But I can't wait to get back out there. Silverton, Gunnison, Buena Vista, Lake City Ouray all great towns.Still haven't done Black Bear Pass, brrrr, gives me chills. Maybe next year. Great Pics

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been going to CO every year for at least 10 yrs. Started on a klr and now the drz, I think the ATAS would be a bit much for me to handle some of those passes....

Like you I came from a KLR a couple of years ago. I am thinking of heading down the Lake City area this summer as there is a lot of good riding in the area. Mosquito Pass was equivalent to a few of the trails, but as you said - definitely pushing the limits of my riding skills.

Thanks for the reply! Ride safe!

Bookem

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When all this craziness is done, I'd certainly like to come back down there and do some dual-sport riding. That pass looks amazing! I've ridden touring and sport touring bikes on the highways in that area but never offroad.
Yeah, definitely a challenge and I would not recommend it for the first ride on dirt. Weston Pass is close by though, and it was absolutely fantastic. Easy to ride and beautiful vistas along with some wildlife viewing.

Thank you for the reply. Ride safe!

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
Lake City has the Alpine Loop ( cinnamon and engineer pass) right in town. Both doable on a big bike but it wont be easy. Great access but the town is bland and full of asses. Make base camp in Silverton, walking distance to the store for food/bar/ restaurants. Much better atmosphere and quiet after the steam train departs. Get the biscuits and gravy from the brown bear cafe, trust me..Imogene, Ophir, Corkscrew,Stoney, Black Bear Pass, Clear Lake all in town, but not on the big bike.Here is Cinnamon from Lake City and Silverton

Zoom in and see the easy part of Black Bear Pass, youtube for the rest

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
471 Posts
Hey Super - I've hooked up with a couple of old friends in CA and we're gonna ride the COBDR in June later this year (I'm coming in from FL). One rides a BMW GS850 and the other is looking for a suitable ride-leaning towards a KLR...we'll see. Me, I'll be on Ol' Red. It's a great adventure with stops in many of CO's prime resort areas. We'll visit several National Parks along the way and hit many passes like this one. Putting this ride together has been a hoot. I'm really looking forward to it. Check it out:

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
That's going to be an adventure for sure. June sounds a bit early, one of my pics above was late July. Here is a link that should be updated as the weather changes if you don't already have it. Ive done the first 3 sections on the drz, minus camping gear. You're going to have your hands full.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
471 Posts
... June sounds a bit early, .. You're going to have your hands full.

Yeah, being true out-of-towners, we were thinking late May might work. After being warned off, we moved to mid-June and are hoping for some fun challenges. Nothing that will leave us in hospital you understand. Just some challenging portions. We're all experienced riders and risk-takers to boot. This ought to be a lot of fun!

I'll start a thread when we get get everything sorted and invite you to comment.

Best regards

Reactions: Bookem

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
39 Posts
I rode the Alpine loop a few years ago on a KLR. My friend was on a DR650. The toughest section for me was going up Engineer Pass. We started from Ouray, went up Engineer Pass, then dropped in to Lake City and then over Cinnamon Pass.

I don’t remember Cinnamon pass being difficult. Perhaps because I had already gone up Engineer.

I took my family over Ophir Pass, Last Dollar Road and half of Imogene, two years ago in a Wrangler. It was late July and the top of Imogene was still closed off from snow.
Base camp in Silverton would be a no go for me due to its high elevation.

I found a campsite near Durango on my Jeep trip. We drove up to Silverton from there and hit Ophir and then camped outside of Telluride. We did Last Dollar Road, which my wife loved, thendd an up and back on Imogene due t snow closure. We camped near Ouray, elevation bothered me a little that night.

That was a great trip with awesome free campsites. I’m looking forward to doing it again on the AT.

The pick is my KLRon a section of Engineer Pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 African Twin, Adventure Sports ES, DCT
35 Posts
Cool ride w/ lots of great photos. I have ridden my 2007 Honda ST1300 over to Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Independance pass, Leadville, Minturn, and back to Glenwood. Enjoyed riding in the Rockies. All on pavement. I don't know if I want to try some of the steep passes on the ATAS ES DCT. Been down already and it's a bear to upright it. Also trying to get used to how the traction control works off road, and the engine backing off when the rear tire starts slipping. Anyway, now that I'm older, I don't know if I want those types of adventures. Gravel roads are alright, but steep climbs...

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
The only hard part of Cinnamon Pass is coming out of Silverton/Animas Fork, Its a steep climb going up. Not hard just put it in first and tractor up. Ophir is very loose since the landslide and repair. They put loose shale on top of loose rock. Thee is one section of Imogene that gets me every time, guess it depends on which way you go. I do these on the drz not the ATAS, but I'm sure the alpine loop is doable.

Reactions: cdjones
1 - 14 of 14 Posts