Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a very odd issue with my Manual. Starting has not given me any issues thus far.

When I am slowing down or "blip" the throttle in an effort to match revs on the downshift, it will, what sounds like a backfire through the air box, hiccup and cut the motor out but not shut it down. Two days ago I was at a stop sign and went to "blip" and it shut completely down. I restarted it and took off. It does not matter the temp and it is not replicated easily in my opinion. It is very random.

Has anyone else experienced or been experiencing this phenomenon?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,
I'm noticing this also. Only once went completely off.
Bike now with 1500km. One time talked with the mechanic from Honda and he told
me that might have something to do with the solenoid...
Will keep an eye on that in the next months. If by the end of summer that thing still happens will report that to the dealer for a proper check.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine does it , it sounds like it backfires and nearly dies , when i blip the throttle , it has not died completely and it happens very randomly , sounds like lean mixture issue to me .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a force of habit to blip coming from the street bike world. It sounds like she's running too lean. It's annoying when you expect the bike to do one thing and it doesn't respond the way you intend it to. Considering it only has 1100 miles on it, it actually irritates me.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
there is another thread about occasional stalls on the DCT ATs whereas in the NC world a stall is almost unheard of. I wonder if it could be connected to this occasional backfire issue.
Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
The backfire through the airbox used to happen on my Triumph Explorer when new, but as an issue it gradually disappeared with mileage . It never actually stalled but just popped back as described above. Leanness is one cause among others, but if it is random and gradually disappearing it would not bother me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine used to do the same as well as being hard to start, i simply disconnected the battery and reset everything and I've not had one single backfire since nor has the hard start come back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is there a reset procedure other than disconnecting the battery ? On my former 690 KTM it was a 15 minute reset at tickover from cold. The Triumph is something similar and I think I read somewhere that my former NC700X had a similar procedure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure but I just got off the phone with my dealer. He informed me that Honda is aware of this problem and is working on a solution for it. They said it should not cause any harm to the bike. So now I play the waiting game....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there a reset procedure other than disconnecting the battery ? On my former 690 KTM it was a 15 minute reset at tickover from cold. The Triumph is something similar and I think I read somewhere that my former NC700X had a similar procedure.
Not that I'm aware of however it's only a matter of using the supplied Allen key under the seat to remove the "Tool Box" and removing the neg terminal on the battery for 1 min. Put everything back together and it should be good to go. I was having heaps of trouble with the backfiring and crap starting and since doing this it's never happened since, was quite surprise how well it worked for such a simple fix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer asked me to call Honda Customer Relations as well to explain what the issue was. He said he does the blip thing too even though he has a slipper clutch.... that is a harder habit to break than smoking haha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. I have no issues with the bike other than that and some personal preference issues. Other than that, I think Honda did extremely well with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did this the first time today after sitting for the first time for 3 days.
I have just over 1600 miles on it.
It backfired when I started it which was the first time ever, then it did it again when I shut it off after riding it.

Odd.

·
Registered
112 Posts
my bike does exactly the same and has since I've had it

I had a major starting issue with the temp and tilt sensors failing

these were replaced taking over a week

it starts okay 95% of the time now

but with the spokes corroding after 4 months of summer riding despite constant cleaning and the crap heated grips and back fires I cant do with the hassle of having it off the road in the summer.

a dealer in our region has let slip they are getting quite a few problems with the AFI

I am intending to trade it in next spring for another triumph 800XC

pity that as its a brilliant bike to ride and mega fun but shockingly appalling build quality for a Honda absolutely shocking

·
Registered
379 Posts
my bike does exactly the same and has since I've had it

I had a major starting issue with the temp and tilt sensors failing

these were replaced taking over a week

it starts okay 95% of the time now

but with the spokes corroding after 4 months of summer riding despite constant cleaning and the crap heated grips and back fires I cant do with the hassle of having it off the road in the summer.

a dealer in our region has let slip they are getting quite a few problems with the AFI

I am intending to trade it in next spring for another triumph 800XC

pity that as its a brilliant bike to ride and mega fun but shockingly appalling build quality for a Honda absolutely shocking
The troubles annoying you will be fixed long before next spring.

A solution is reportedly coming for the grip heaters.

The spokes are a batch issue affecting early bikes, most owners haven't had the issue. 10,000 km on mine and it still looks new. Have the dealer replace your wheels.

Either disconnect your battery or have your dealer do a factory reset using the computer and see if that solves your backfiring issue.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts