Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine too was doing the same thing. I disconnected my battery to wire up my GPS, I've ridden about 300 miles since then and no more backfires. As a matter a fact, the bike has been running perfect. I'm running Kwik Fill 91 octane ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had this also. 3 times in 800km (once this AM), usually at low speed, navigating in traffic, little throttle blip and a loud POP unlike the normal burbling I love so much. It has caused the bike to shut off once. There also seems to be some "ticking" valve train noise at idle. Performance when I'm on the throttle seems unaffected. I have my 1000km service coming up and will be asking about it then. I'll post up anything they tell me.
Cheers,

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have had this also. 3 times in 800km (once this AM), usually at low speed, navigating in traffic, little throttle blip and a loud POP unlike the normal burbling I love so much. It has caused the bike to shut off once. There also seems to be some "ticking" valve train noise at idle. Performance when I'm on the throttle seems unaffected. I have my 1000km service coming up and will be asking about it then. I'll post up anything they tell me.
Cheers,

I still get the inlet backfire occasionally at random and am now at 9000kms. I will probably disconnect the battery, but I will be interested to hear what your dealer has to say on the matter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cheers,
I'm in the same page as you. Did not disconnected (yet) the battery, but I'll soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine has started doing it also. Bike now has 4000 miles on it, manual trans.. However mine only started doing it after I disconnected the battery for the first time when I was preparing to do a GPS install. Mine has only done it in the 1st-2nd gear change. Both time were after extended rides of 30+ miles, then shutting the bike off for 10-15 minutes. Then when taking off again it did it during the gear change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update post 1000km service:

I spoke to the tech about the problem and we agreed it sounded like a fuelling/ ECU issue. The bike showed no codes and they could not reproduce the issue during test ride or on the bench. They unhooked the battery and then re-initialized the bike- the thinking here was that it may allow the sensors to re-calibrate.

On the noisy valve train- again, they couldn't reproduce the issue though they did report hearing a "grinding" noise that was attributed to perhaps the starter not fully disengaging.

Honda Canada has not posted any bulletins about either issue and my dealer hadn't heard about them from other customers.

Both issues are being reported to Honda so hopefully if there are any future problems they can be traced back.

I am satisfied with this. I haven't had the cut off or the intake backfire since I got the bike back but its only been a couple days.

Cheers,
VicAT

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been riding daily since the re-initializing and haven't experienced the intake backfire or the sudden cut off since. I think it is sorted! Yay!
Now I can get back to looking at wider pegs and crash bars...?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine was definitely burbling today on deceleration. I hear no valve train noise at all from this bike compared to my R1200GSW. I may try alcohol free gas in it to see if it cleans up a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 10k miles on my 2017 bike and I still get a backfire through the air box every now and than. It seem like it happens more often when I feel up with higher octane fuel. I have my battery disconnected couple of times and I haven't notices any difference.

43 Posts
Man I see this thread and I swear you guys are describing my bike. I have the added "features" of it lugging and shuddering on cold starts, and one out of every 4 rides have a slight hesitation / miss. I got the "Honda is aware of the problem and working on a fix as well. Still waiting on a call from Honda as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone got this problem solved? Mine do this a lot, and when it happen, it turns itself off. Already happens sometimes in the middle of the traffic, I find it quite dangerous.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think these problems are the results of the "over leaning" fuel mixtures of today's bikes to pass air quality standards. The systems on the bikes are constantly fighting to overcome this and occasionally something just hick-ups. I wonder if anyone that has installed either the Booster Plug or the Rapid Bike Easy have had these problems. I have not had these problems on my bike (yet) but I plan to add one of the above units anyway to help with the throttle response at low rpm and off idle starts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
possible solution

Hello everyone,

My first post here......

I am in the final stages of testing a solution to this issue (and other running problems)

I have a 2017 tri color that i have installed a modified fuel pressure regulator.

Some back ground, I owned Turbo City (retired 2 years ago) and have designed and built modified FPRs for ST1300, VFR800, Goldwings, CBR1000. (search Turbo City FPR)

I have also done extensive GM automotive computer modifications and programming.

All of these Honda EFI computer systems run lean and that is what causes most all of these issues. By raising the fuel pressure slightly, most issues disappear without creating problems with the computer.

I have identified a readily available replacement FPR regulator that when modified works great in the AT, and its less than $25.00. Easily installed by just removing the fuel tank (no other plastics need remove). No modifications to the original fuel system (easily returned to stock)

Can be used to improve fueling with aftermarket air filters and exhaust.

When testing is complete, I will provide part numbers of the regulator and complete instructions on how to modify (very easy).

So far I am very impressed and encouraged at the results. Not here to sell anything- will provide the info free ( have sold thousands on the FPRs in the past)

Let me know if this is something everyone would be interested in......

Stay tuned Thanks Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think these problems are the results of the "over leaning" fuel mixtures of today's bikes to pass air quality standards. The systems on the bikes are constantly fighting to overcome this and occasionally something just hick-ups. I wonder if anyone that has installed either the Booster Plug or the Rapid Bike Easy have had these problems. I have not had these problems on my bike (yet) but I plan to add one of the above units anyway to help with the throttle response at low rpm and off idle starts.

I have the same issue at random, it happens on the odd occasion that the bike sounds like it misfires when you blip the throttle from closed or at idle.
Mine has not cut out entirely yet, but it feels like it could happen..

I agree strongly that the fuel mixture is a tad lean when you blip the throttle which is a cable directly connected to the butterfly's at the correct time, there is too much air for a short period of time & the ecu is either not enriching it soon enough of it is over compensating. With this machine having a distinct firing order there is probably a too long gap before the next feuling cycle to correct it properly if you demand it at just the wrong time of the cycle..

I have ordered the "Rapid Bike Easy" to just lift the fueling a bit, it is a clever unit which works actively between the O2 sensor and the ECU to enrich the fuel to a more ideal mixture.. not just a dumb booster.. See the thread on Rapid bike Easy clever performance fuel booster in the general discussion on this forum. I should receive my unit next week & shall give feedback on that thread..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the booster plug on mine and , has a smoother pick up off idle , and seems to pull harder .
for the money , well worth a try .

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have seen a bike with a booster plug fitted, it has a temperature probe connected that is fitted to the front cowl not?
How does this unit actually work? does it fool the air temp sensor..?

·
Registered
93 Posts
HI Africano, yes it makes it think it is 7 degrees colder outside than it actually is , thus it gives it slightly more fuel .

·
Registered
157 Posts
HI Africano, yes it makes it think it is 7 degrees colder outside than it actually is , thus it gives it slightly more fuel .
Hi Rory, yeah I thought so, I think the 02 is going to be a winner, me being a electronics engineer understanding the idea behind it.
I was never a fan for air temp manipulation since it won't be as fuel efficient & accurate as adding a tad of extra voltage on top of an existing wave generated by the 02 sensor.

In short, the ECU also controls the injectors & timing to keep the mixture at it's pre set map levels determined by the 02 sensor.

The fuelling is to a large extent reliant on what it gets from the 02 sensor once it goes closed loop.

My Rapid bike Easy is being delivered today, so I shall give feedback on my findings of this unit once installed..

21 - 40 of 78 Posts