Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this? Sorry to res the thread but I just took ownership of a brand new 2017 and my bike coughs and backfires at least once during every ride.

I was riding with my wife on the back and it flat-out stalled on me while rolling. Light throttle, gentle roll-on throttle input and just coughed and stalled. Had we been on an on-ramp or pulling into traffic, things could have gone worse.
Does this thread feel similar?

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah the good old 2016/2017 models are poppy, farty & stalley .. I had one of those for 2 years with same symptoms in this thread.., the newer ride by wire 2019 models have none of those problems. Have my 2019 for 16k km now & not a hint of any stall or issues with feuling.. Deffo a stepup on the older stuff. Do not judge the AT by the 2016/2017 models get 2018 upwards they are definitely more sorted except for some other issues which are fixable. The AFI is not something that could be fixed 100 percent..

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah the good old 2016/2017 models are poppy, farty & stalley .. I had one of those for 2 years with same symptoms in this thread.., the newer ride by wire 2019 models have none of those problems. Have my 2019 for 16k km now & not a hint of any stall or issues with feuling.. Deffo a stepup on the older stuff. Do not judge the AT by the 2016/2017 models get 2018 upwards they are definitely more sorted except for some other issues which are fixable. The AFI is not something that could be fixed 100 percent..
I wish I had known this before buying a 2017 right out of the crate 1 month ago. Engine randomly hiccuping, dealer said no software updates to speak of, but TSB on cats for people with short commutes/rides. Should’ve just held out for that T7

·
Registered
71 Posts
I literally did the same thing. 2017 model out of the crate just over a month ago. Manual. I wonder if your 3 YEAR OLD BATTERY could have even the slightest thing to do with it.

Request a new one. When I got mine, I charged it then installed it. I only have one ride in since, but I couldn't make it hiccup/backfire anymore. I used to be able to do it pretty reliably. Now it seems fixed.

You shouldn't have received a 3 year old battery with your NEW bike in the first place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was ready to get rid of this bike because of this issue. Incredibly frustrating. I've never owned a new motorcycle and these issues really soured my experience. If this battery fixed my problem. I will be much much happier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I literally did the same thing. 2017 model out of the crate just over a month ago. Manual. I wonder if your 3 YEAR OLD BATTERY could have even the slightest thing to do with it.

Request a new one. When I got mine, I charged it then installed it. I only have one ride in since, but I couldn't make it hiccup/backfire anymore. I used to be able to do it pretty reliably. Now it seems fixed.

You shouldn't have received a 3 year old battery with your NEW bike in the first place.
I appreciate the tip, Nacademus. That was one of the items on my list to go through, even though I told the dealer to install a new battery. They may cheaped out- we’ll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're not in Ohio, are you? If this was the same dealer, I would love to know.
No, I’m your neighbor to the North (Michigan). Purely speculating, our bikes could’ve been delivered by the same truck, depending which end of Ohio yours came from.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
No, I’m your neighbor to the North (Michigan). Purely speculating, our bikes could’ve been delivered by the same truck, depending which end of Ohio yours came from.
Hi neighbor, I’m in Wyandotte, Michigan

Reactions: Metric_Rider

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bike popped today. So battery is not what solves it. Sadly.
Appreciate the update though.

Doing the first oil change this weekend, then doing some trails the following two weekends. Hopefully riding it like rental on the trails will help it behave better, but, based on what I’ve found, it sounds like a fueling issue in conjunction with/due to the emissions-driven designs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
How many miles does your bikes have? My '17 manual did this early on but it completely went away after 1000-1500 miles... Can't remember, but I think it just needs to be broke in sufficiently. My' 17 is an absolute gem. It's less picky now about what kind of fuel it gets with 20k miles, but early on, it definitely wanted the cheap stuff. I did not break it in easy, but didn't beat on it too bad either. Those issues just faded away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It seems to pop much less, now. Only happened one time today and I took it for a 200 mile loop. I'm at just under 800 miles on the odometer in total. Maybe the recipe really is to keep riding and break it in. My sales person mentioned that as a possibility but I really didn't want to accept that. I'm a stubborn prick sometimes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
3-years and 32K km my 2017 still does it. Randomly. Weeks without then twice two minutes apart.
Dealer serviced this spring for 24K km major. New spark plugs. Valve check. Air filters. No difference.
Worse with Chevron 94 non Ethanol. Might be better with Shell or PetroCan regular.
You really only get pissed when the cough and stall happens at very slow speeds whilst turning and you dump the bike ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
3-years and 32K km my 2017 still does it. Randomly. Weeks without then twice two minutes apart.
Dealer serviced this spring for 24K km major. New spark plugs. Valve check. Air filters. No difference.
Worse with Chevron 94 non Ethanol. Might be better with Shell or PetroCan regular.
You really only get pissed when the cough and stall happens at very slow speeds whilst turning and you dump the bike ...
True...

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Come to think of it, the few times I put high octane fuel into the beast, it too coughed/hesitated a bit. I never went back after that and it has been regular 87 ever since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Come to think of it, the few times I put high octane fuel into the beast, it too coughed/hesitated a bit. I never went back after that and it has been regular 87 ever since.
Same. Not used to MORE issues with higher octane. Haven’t had a hiccup in a long time with shell 87.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts