Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AT ('21 base DCT) has a lot going for it but I have never experienced such an aerodynamic misery device.

The exceptional rider wind noise / buffeting / drumming / shuddering / helmet vibrating / wind rushing phenomenon is well documented and discussed here in numerous threads.

What I don't see mention of much is (70mph+) interstate/freeway whole bike position displacement or forces felt while riding.

Most noticeable and obvious is when following a semi tractor trailer, of course. I am well used to feeling the turbulent affects on a motorcycle but on this bike I feel its on a whole other level. Even frontal wind bursts I can feel the bike 'slowed down' for a half second then 'released' a half second later.

Same with following a SUV, the wake buffeting is much more pronounced on this motorcycle than any other I've ridden.

Is this felt by many or I wonder if it is largely a result from the out back and high large Givi top case. I've never had a bike with a top case so dunno. I plan to remove the top case some time and see if it makes a difference.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the slick body work of my Katana sport tourer all these years. <shrug>

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
I do much freeway riding on the AT with a 50+ L top box. I enjoy the experience, but it is not calm by any means. However, it is not unlike any other ride I've done it with, and arguably the AT for me with its N20058 VStream windscreen works well. So maybe I am more tolerant? Or maybe it is a better experience on the AT. In any case, there is nothing making me dislike it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think an awful lot of it is caused by the smaller windscreen on the base. Having come from a cruiser with NO windshield it is so much better. Could it be better? I am going to buy the PUIG windshield later on and see if that makes an even bigger difference.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I can feel no discernible difference from other bikes at speed on the highway with side winds or gusts from other vehicles.
It's plenty windy here in Alberta (Crowsnest for example) and it tracks and rides like several other adventure and sport touring bikes that I've had.
I ride shorter day rides with a 50 litre top box and luggage - the bike is heavier (obviously) but no real difference in how the bike handles other than a bit slower to react.
I have a larger windscreen and fork shield but even before I put those on this bike had less overall drag and turbulence. Those are things you could experiment with on your bike as they do make a considerable difference.

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
139 Posts
Bumpy rider
If you come up on an 18 wheeler at 70 , just twist the throttle and fly around it at 100 mph and the excceleration will feel so good you will never notice the wind.

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider
I also use the VStream .

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
303 Posts
How is the preload on the back Too soft and the front will float

Reactions: johnh

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Well,
Well, I ride the I-40 down here in the desert of AZ and, it's loaded with 18 wheelers and, the speed limit is 75 mph. Some of those trucks run down that freeway at that speed. Some, even a bit higher and some, a bit lower. I myself, don't have any desire to run that fast but, I also don't like running next to or behind or directly in front of any of those trucks. Soooo, I try and either drop back or zip forward to a spot where there's a decent break in distance between them.

But, I do feel some turbulance from them as I get near. It's not the end of the world. I get the same turbulance on my BMW K1600 GTL-E. And, I also got it on my last bike, an '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. When you're piloting a giant rolling Kleenex box down the road, you're bound to disturb ALL the air around you, especially at or around 75 mph. So, getting near that pocket of air that has no idea what way it want's to go, is well, just something to deal with.
Scott

Reactions: KBoltz

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bumpy rider
If you come up on an 18 wheeler at 70 , just twist the throttle and fly around it at 100 mph and the excceleration will feel so good you will never notice the wind.

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider
I also use the VStream .
Heh. Just be sure which side any crosswind is coming from. The first time I did that move on my new AT, when I cleared the front of the truck, the sudden side blast made it jump 4 feet sideways towards the ditch.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow! I rode the bike all over Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado a couple of months back, fully loaded panniers and a 42l top box and dealing with 30-50 mph headwinds and sometimes cross-winds and never felt anything like this. Was riding with my buddy @edgoldner who was on his AT as well. We were literally hauling ass at 90-95 mph, fighting these winds and never for a moment felt that the bike was being thrown around. Bike was absolutely stable, except for those odd moments when we would get hit by sudden wind gusts.

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
Heh. Just be sure which side any crosswind is coming from. The first time I did that move on my new AT, when I cleared the front of the truck, the sudden side blast made it jump 4 feet sideways towards the ditch.
Yeah, recently on the east shore of Lake Superior sometimes a very forceful side gust would push the AT a few feet in the lane, and potentially into oncoming traffic :oops: . However, I would expect that on any bike, and maybe likely worse than the AT, for lighter bikes.

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
139 Posts
I rode Talimena Ridgeway with 35 to 45 mph gusts at 60 to 70 mph and did not get bounced around. In fact I think it was better than my Valkyrie. Bigger the bike more buffenting . The
A. T. is so slim it slides thru the air and turbulence . I would recommend the Vstream.

·
Registered
54 Posts
AT ('21 base DCT) has a lot going for it but I have never experienced such an aerodynamic misery device.

The exceptional rider wind noise / buffeting / drumming / shuddering / helmet vibrating / wind rushing phenomenon is well documented and discussed here in numerous threads.

What I don't see mention of much is (70mph+) interstate/freeway whole bike position displacement or forces felt while riding.

Most noticeable and obvious is when following a semi tractor trailer, of course. I am well used to feeling the turbulent affects on a motorcycle but on this bike I feel its on a whole other level. Even frontal wind bursts I can feel the bike 'slowed down' for a half second then 'released' a half second later.

Same with following a SUV, the wake buffeting is much more pronounced on this motorcycle than any other I've ridden.

Is this felt by many or I wonder if it is largely a result from the out back and high large Givi top case. I've never had a bike with a top case so dunno. I plan to remove the top case some time and see if it makes a difference.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the slick body work of my Katana sport tourer all these years. <shrug>
The large top box acts like a sail and amplifies the buffeting coming off other vehicles. Remove the top box & it changes the whole feeling. Plus the Africa is a tall bike and quite top heavy compared to other bikes so that will make much more noticeable difference at high speeds. I installed a backpack style waterproof bag on the rear rack & it changed the whole dynamic of the bike. The bag is compressible, it holds the same as my old hard case with very little buffeting.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
7 Posts
In My AT '16, I can feel the wind comming by the sides of the screen, and then the wind hit the mirrors (which the design dosen't help) send the wind against the shoulders and helmet, so I put deflectors in the front, made of policarbonate, I don't feel the bufering comming from the triple clamp at all. Next week, I´ll be going to Baja California and is going to be a long highway trip, I hope my fix help me, Saludos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
232 Posts
In my experience my 18 ATAS is not that bad when it comes to wind management, for an ADV bike i think its quite good. With the fork shield i get no helmet buffeting at all at speed and can ride 70+ with the shield up. I dont feel like the bike itself gets displaced by wind too badly either.

I know things like this are very subjective and everyone experience will be a little different due too the variables involved like height, helmet worn etc. For me in comparison to the bike this one replaced which was a Multistrada 1200 the AT feels planted and composed at speed on the freeway and wind management on the AT is worlds better too. Compared to other bikes i have owned like a VFR800 or BMW K1200 the AT is not near as good.

·
Registered
664 Posts

I am riding a 2019 ATAS with OEM panniers and a Givi Maxia 52 litre as a top box. I don't find the Honda particularly worse or better than my previous bikes in the wind. In regards to buffeting from the air flow from a tractor trailer, it seems to be worse between 1 and 2 trailer lengths behind the rig. I try to avoid that spot because of the buffeting and the fact the driver can't see me in his mirrors. The buffeting zone may shift left or right from the transport's center line if a strong crosswind is present.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
303 Posts
I've read the OP other posts and was just wondering if the suspension is off. He has stated he has everything set dead soft so I thought maybe his bike is not settled in at speed> Too soft on the rear preload causes all sorts of front problems the faster you go. I know adjusting the rebound on the back improved mine as it was riding the pogo stick after bumps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts