Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a tentative review on the MotoZ Desert HT based on my first impressions after taking off the Adventure.

On dry Tarmac.

Fine, held corners well (I don't push it hard on road) did seem to squirm into the corners a little but once loaded up in the corner it held predictably and tips in well. NOISY

Gravel Roads.

Very Good. At least as good as the MotoZ Adventure holds very solid on the loose surface.

Hard pack Dirt

Exceptional. Holds predictably drives well and slides very consistently

Wet Clay/Mud

Very Good (compared to the Adventure) not as good as a proper soft terrain knobby but exceptionally good for a HT tyre.

Sand

Acceptable it has been wet so the sand was reasonably firm but the tyre tracked well around corners and hooked up when the throttle is aggressively twisted.

I don't think it will last long but at $135aud it's about half the price of the Adventure so if it does 3000k that will be acceptable.

It's Loud on the Tarmac

Will let you know how it goes long term and once I can get a decent solid ride on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 Posts
These look great if dirt is the priority. I've been pretty happy with the Shinko 804/805 but I'm going to the the Motoz Adv next. Then maybe these. Look forward to hearing the long term feedback on these.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let us know how they perform on wet pavement when you get a chance.

They don’t take a whole lot of throttle input on wet pavement to get spinning not horrendous but not as good as the ADV model they don’t let go mid corner but probably wouldn’t inspire confidence if you ride hard on the road. Then if you do these tyres are probably not your best choice. I ride very conservatively on bitumen (pavement) and harder offroad. So far they have done 500km and seem to be wearing well (nothing noticeable aside from slight feathering on following edge) they still work well in dirt and on gravel roads and are still noisy on road.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok almost 1400km down and theyre half gone so i might get 3000km which isnt too bad since theyre half the price of the Adventures and will last slightly more than half as long (5500 out of the adventure) still acceptable on road (for a true knobby) and good offroad exceptional in true dirt ie. Loam and Clay based roads. good on gravel (similar to the adv on gravel if not marginally worse) and better in sand than an Adventure tyre not as good as a soft terrain Knobby. so far I am happy with them but i think given the mileage ill probably get a new set of the adventures next time im due to upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Nusk,

Good writeup--- what tire pressures are you running? Are you loaded or unloaded?

I assume your running the 140/80/18 size, correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Nusk,

Good writeup--- what tire pressures are you running? Are you loaded or unloaded?

I assume your running the 140/80/18 size, correct?

Thanks!

Gday Mitch,

Yea in the soft stuff as low as 15lb and generally in the mid to high 20s on gravel/hardpack.

all unloaded so far and yes 140/80-18. ended up with around 2800km on the rear still had some legal life in it but offroad it was no more good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts