Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m quite the noob when it comes to ADV riding skill. Been riding street-biased bikes for decades, but am finally getting into some proper drills off-road.
Anyone else practicing slow speed balance and maneuvers? Have some favorites that apply to the “real world”?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been riding for decades, about 5 and a 1/2 to be specific. Mostly Honda Goldwing's. I'd mess around with slow, parking lot maneuvers every now and then but, never really improved to my liking. When I purchased the A/T, I watched a video or two about slow, parking lot maneuvers and specifically, U-turns in very tight situations. I'm talking about turning a complete U-turn from a painted line parking place, to the VERY NEXT ONE without touching any of the painted lines.

When I first started practicing, I SUCKED BIG TIME, even though I'd had many, many years of riding. But, watching the videos and practicing what was instructed in them, taught me to really change my tactics and improve myself phenomenally. Before long, I was making those really tight U-turns from space, to space, to space, to space without ever touching any painted lines and, that is in BOTH directions of turning.

That practice and perfection of that style of slow speed turning, has come into play, numerous times while out and about. I can make U-turns now using only 1/2 the width of the road, and not put any feet down. I watch friends who have a need to turn around for a given situation and, they must stop, put their feet down, inch the bike backwards etc. until they can move in the direction they want to.

While this type of improvement is to me, very valuable and, it's a sense of pride in that I'm better now then I've been in years. To some, it's no big deal. There are, as shown in the skills videos above, lots more to practice at and become more efficient in. But, never too late to learn.
Scott

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok, I draw the line here. I figure I'm doing GREAT just making U-turns from parking place to parking place but, teaching myself to TRIALS RIDE on a 540 lb. beast, AIN'T HAPPENING! That guy is really, really good. I've seen some wazoo bicycle riders do similar things. That's some outstanding coordination, timing and skill for sure. Thanks for that.
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts