Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go with Tubed Karoo 3 tires but the 150/70-18 size for the rear comes only in tubeless variety, and almost twice the price.
Is it OK to mount 140/80-18 on the rear?
I want to reach out to the collective wisdom & experience of the forum before rolling the dice.:grin2:

TIA

PS, if this issue has been discussed in the past, please point me in that direction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure myself but I have one left over that I am planning to use if I do not see any negative discussion. I am going to use a heavy duty tube and the 140/80/18. It will probably sit a bit taller from my calculations. Just running on the stockers for now to get use to the feel and ride of the AT.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to go with Tubed Karoo 3 tires but the 150/70-18 size for the rear comes only in tubeless variety, and almost twice the price.
Does it bother you that it's tubeless? If so why? Or is it just the price?
My concerns are:
1) the tubeless is almost double the price
2) the tubeless most likely have a stronger bead making it harder to mount for the home mechanic
3) the tubeless sometimes wear holes in the tube causing a flat

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just fitted a set of tubeless Karros as I've used them before and like em. It never occurred to me that the walls would be stiffer so I hope that doesn't bite me in the butt when I need to do a trail side repair. I paid £173 for both including fitting which I thought wasn't a bad price but hey. I did want to try the Anakee but it's still not available despite being shown on the Michelin website.
Ride safe and often :grin2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I want to reach out to the collective wisdom & experience of the forum before rolling the dice.:grin2:

TIA

PS, if this issue has been discussed in the past, please point me in that direction
Hi 16rally, I just fitted a PIRELLI SCORPION RALLY 140/80-18 for a ride this weekend coming, I liked it as its pretty aggressive, no problems fitting it, yes it does feel a little taller, although I did not actually measure it against the std 150/70-18, anyway the big test will be this weekend, I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi 16rally, I just fitted a PIRELLI SCORPION RALLY 140/80-18 for a ride this weekend coming, I liked it as its pretty aggressive, no problems fitting it, yes it does feel a little taller, although I did not actually measure it against the std 150/70-18, anyway the big test will be this weekend, I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.
Please report back.
I will hold off on my tire purchase until I hear back from you.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
16rally,
For what it's worth, I have Karoo 3's (150/70-18 on the rear) and honestly didn't realize they were tubeless until I read your post. I have had them on for around 2,000 miles and really like them - both on and off road (I ride around 50/50).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Please report back.
I will hold off on my tire purchase until I hear back from you.

Thanks
Hi 16rally, Sorry for the late reply, The 140/80-18 Pirelli was perfect.
I have done 2 Rides on it now, about 900kl 50/50 road /dirt and It works a treat :)
And only 1/3 worn which I think is pretty good considering the harsh Gravel Roads I ride.
My advice if you find a 140/80-18 that you like, go for it, Oh and Tube Type or Tubless does not really matter if you're using a tube anyway.
In fact I already brought another one for my next change :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is the Pirelli scorpion I see referenced the MT-90AT? I like the looks of that tire and think it may perform better off road than the Scout K60 I normally run. But since this bike will see more off road, I'd like a more aggressive tire.

NC

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just finished a 14,000 kilometre journey on a 140 tire (Avon Trekrider) - no issues at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts