Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had both knees rebuilt/replaced back in November, 4 months ago. When I bought my new AT in February I required a little assistance with getting my leg over the back to get on the bike. Please don't laugh.

How do you properly mount the bike with a top case installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did that a few times until I noticed the side stand flex....
Now use the centre stand.
Z

·
Registered
295 Posts
I always use the side stand method with no issues. Remember it is not just the side stand supporting your weight as the tyres make up the other two contact points of the ‘tripod’.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get a mate to do it whilst you watch the side stand then make up your own mind..
Z

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you want to take some load off the side stand but still need the extra height to sling your leg over the box then try using the other foot peg. This can be useful if you suspect the ground is a bit soft too. The trick is to start out by leaning into the middle of the bike as you step up just to make sure it’s not going to overbalanced towards you
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you want to take some load off the side stand but still need the extra height to sling your leg over the box then try using the other foot peg. This can be useful if you suspect the ground is a bit soft too. The trick is to start out by leaning into the middle of the bike as you step up just to make sure it’s not going to overbalanced towards you
I had a tallish bike where I attached the top case to the pillion seat, leaving little room for swinging your leg over, and that was my default way to mount: stand on the right peg with my right foot, then step over with my left. I could mount it the other ways too, but I usually did that one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mounting with new knees

I had a tallish bike where I attached the top case to the pillion seat, leaving little room for swinging your leg over, and that was my default way to mount: stand on the right peg with my right foot, then step over with my left. I could mount it the other ways too, but I usually did that one.
I tried stepping on the right ped while on the side stand and I am such a big boy the bike started tipping, lifting off the side stand.
I guess I will have to work on getting the knees to flex more before mounting any kind of rear case or carrier.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tried stepping on the right ped while on the side stand and I am such a big boy the bike started tipping, lifting off the side stand.
I guess I will have to work on getting the knees to flex more before mounting any kind of rear case or carrier.
Were you leaning over the bike? I think pretty much anyone who could ride an AT would be heavy enough to tip it if they just stood up on the peg. If you put enough of your weight over the bike it will be fine. Maybe it's harder for heavier guys.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Were you leaning over the bike? I think pretty much anyone who could ride an AT would be heavy enough to tip it if they just stood up on the peg. If you put enough of your weight over the bike it will be fine. Maybe it's harder for heavier guys.
Yeah that's my guess too. It does feel a bit weird, but in truth all you are doing is taking a small amount of the weight off the sidestand, because you still have to position most of your weight centrally over the seat area. I find it useful to adopt the outer peg mounting if I have had to park the bike on a strongly cambered road and there is a danger of it toppling if I use the lower peg to mount the bike. Also as said before if the ground is a bit soft.
The disadvantage that I can see is that if you get it wrong (mounting from the higher peg) and the bike still topples to the inside, you have no way of catching it - but it does mean at least your legs wouldn't be underneath.
Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Good advice from Bret Tkacs on getting on with a passenger/luggage. Easy peasy!

Not worried about sidestand bending. :)

https://youtu.be/g8CXYynRGvY

Reactions: The professor

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The fat guy

I like that, "heavier guys" thank you for being diplomatic. It comes down to being able to flex a leg I just had the knee replaced on and lifting it so I can either cross over the bike in front of a top case or over the case. You have to admit the AT is a tall bike. I sent a picture of the bike to a friend without me on it and he said "Not to be to blunt, but it looks small for you... Nice looking bike, but small for someone your size." So I sent him a picture of me on the bike, he agreed that the big was big enough for me. I look funny on the 1982 Yamaha XJ750 I have been riding for the past 5 years. I am big, but not round. Think American football lineman size. The years have not been nice to the old body.

I am exercising in my kitchen with ankle weights on trying to flex the leg and lift it high enough to clear a chair back. Getting the Hepco and Becker rear platform next week and have a Pelican case I can strap down until I decide the details on how I wish to move forward with a more perm. solution.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The best advice I can give is to see a reputable physiotherapist, explain your problem, and get recommendations. Physios, in my experience, are miracle workers. I can't recommend the ones I have had enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts