Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone here can confirm you need to drill holes in the Africa Twin to properly mount the Givi side cases I would appreciate it. I really DO NOT want to put new holes into a brand new bike but I can't see any other way to mount the cases. The directions do show a picture of a drill with both a 5mm and 20mm reference but there are no written instructions that say to drill holes. I am sure this is correct but want to see if anyone else here has already done this.

NC

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Bumot racks required 2 holes around 20mm diameter to be drilled in the fender under the seat, assume others are similar. They provided a template and I drilled from underneath although you could probably just as easily skip the template and pilot the holes from the top side just as easy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it. I"ll complete the project in the next half hour.

Can either of you confirm if the rear twilight is a floating design meaning is wiggles if you move it with your hand? Mine moves up and down about a 1/4" and figure if this isn't normal maybe I can take care of it while working on the cases.

NC

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first 2 are the hardest Numbercruncher. Once you get those behind you, you'll be drilling holes and mounting stuff all over the place! It's a slippery slope from there... next thing you know, you'll be grinding paint off the frame, to weld something right on to that beautiful 'Twin :p
More seriously though.... would it make sense to put a little silicone around those spacers to seal the holes against dirt and water getting on top of the fender? I assume Honda put that inner liner there for a reason...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got it. I"ll complete the project in the next half hour.

Can either of you confirm if the rear twilight is a floating design meaning is wiggles if you move it with your hand? Mine moves up and down about a 1/4" and figure if this isn't normal maybe I can take care of it while working on the cases.

NC
Numbercruncher - this is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a good point and I thought same thing as well, just haven't gotten around to it.
Did the same thing but could only get silicone around the forward portion of the holes. The bracket covers up the rear and I doubt I could get any back there without just filling the entire space. Then again maybe that isn't a bad thing to do? Silicone is pretty flexible and I could probably cut it away should I ever need to remove anything.

The fit is awesome and I love how the look. I'll have most everything finally installed today and I'll post a picture of the final setup. Glad I drilled so maybe now I'll be more adventurous in mounting a powerlet somewhere? I may even mount it in the dash area where Honda has it setup for their 12 volt plug. There is a lot of disassembly to get there however.

NC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts