Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Adventure bike shop plug and play AT fog light wire harness that utilizes the OEM switch.

Rear view WiFi camera, USB powered so adding dual USB converter to bike to power camera and charge phone/camera batteries on the road. Camera is so I can view my sherpax trailer on my phone while traveling.

McCruise cruise control with new style control.

Eastern Beaver PC 8 plus a few extra connectors to wire other accessories in to factory harness.

Cyclops Pegasus LED lights with crash bar mounts.

We'll see if it looks like this when I'm done. Everything's laid out, so let's tear this bad boy apart.

Reactions: sheath

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Lotta stuff to take off this thing, and I'm not done!

Shop manual is awesome for laying out the order parts come off. Pictures and descriptions are a little vague.

Wanted to see if the fog lamp indicator works. Plugged in Adventure Bike Shop wire harness to the 4 pin connector above the headlights. This harness has a built in extension of the 4 pin connector with power and ground.

Plugged OEM switch in to harness, key power on, depress switch and I've got my indicator.

Located a place to mount my USB converter. Mounting it with 3m 7/8" double sided molding tape.

Fits perfect on backside of panel below the fog lamp switch. Along with that 4 pin power/ground, there are power/ground spade terminals that land about in the area of this signal housing, I'll use those to power this USB converter from switched power.

Assembled signal housing with left inner panel to assure fit.

This rubber plug is identical to the plug that covers the accessory outlet hole. Not sure what it's intended purpose is as when it's assembled, this plug is inline with the left air intake tube and sits within a half inch of it. I'm going to cut a small slit in it and route one of the USB reciprocals out in to the fork area for use with charging my phone.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think this is as far as I have to go teardown wise. To install the McCruise, the manual AT required the air box removal, the DCT version doesn't. McCruise control switch mounted to handle bar.

Mounted McCruise box under passenger seat. Thought about under riders seat, it'd mount better there and is an option, but I didn't like the way the wires woulda had to been looped around.

For all the stuff crammed in this bike from the factory, at least there's plenty of room and good places to mount additional wiring.

On the manual AT, I've only got to remove on factory wire from the factory harness and replace with one wire from the McCruise harness, then connect factory wire to the pigtail on McCruise harness. It's insulated with heat shrink tubing.

The McCruise is completely wired in now. This is where I've stopped for the day. Spent about 7 hours on it so far.

Tomorrow I'll wire in the PC 8 and route the camera wire along the frame, assemble air box and fuel tank and test the McCruise before final assembly.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
That is some serious layout organization.

lol - If I had a garage to do that, I'd still have people stepping over everything.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Mounted my PC 8, thought I was done with disassembly. Wrong. The 6 wire connector has to route under the rear rack/rear seat mount. That plug is too big to fit through so had to raise the right side of the rear carrier.

Bolts removed on right side and rear, loose on left side. With side cover on, it won't budge. Side cover has one bolt and a bunch of clips.

Top photo is as it sits. Bottom photo is raised enough to get the plug under.

For posterity, shows backside clips, kinda.

With EVERYTHING installed and McCruise harness and USB wifi camera harness routed and secured, it's time to calibrate the McCruise. Requires air cleaner installed(which is required to remove on manual AT, but not on DCT AT, lucky &_$#@!) And fuel tank and then hook up the battery.

Moment of truth. Power on, if cruise control lights up, polarity is correct(there's a discrepancy with polarity at the front brake assembly, it may go one way, or another).

Now I can calibrate the cruise. As recommended, I let the bike warm up first. Now it's break time in the AC.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Following along closely, as I'm hoping to do the McCruise install this winter.
Thanks for the great detailed write up. 🍻

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Initially I had routed the adventure bike shop wire harness along that horizontal bar just above the upper headlight mounting bolts(the one shiny bolt in photo). No joy there, that front panel wouldn't fit, it's tight across there! Had to pull headlight out a ways to route harness on backside. That makes installing headlight a little snug as the main harness is already back there. This allowed the front panel to fit as it should.

Bikes back together. To me, the biggest issue is dealing with removing and installing the air cleaner box.

Love the cyclops lights! Took it for a spin tonight, they increase visibility by quite a bit. One thing I didn't know the adventure bike shop harness would do is, if the fog light switch is in the off position, when I turn on high beams, the fog lights come on. Switch functions as normal on low beam. However, with switch in off position and high beams on, the fog light indicator isn't on. It only comes on when fog light switch is in the on position.

Cruise works great!

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here's the rear view camera in action (sitting still is actually an action). Phones not really bright enough for sunshine viewing...

I had previously speculated about adding a second fog lamp switch to that spot where the G switch goes. It'd probably be as easy as it was for @AT-Dragon to add his second switch to the none knock out spot. Reason being is the standard fog light weight opening has mounting tabs horizontally. The G switch side, both openings have mounting tabs oriented vertically. And they happen to be staggered opposite that of the fog light switch so you couldn't even easily mount it sideways.

Having said all that, I've no desire to add more wiring to the front of this bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
That rear view is nonetheless clear. (y)

The view adds some nice peace-of-mind. e.g. no punks hooking on for a free ride.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please, Picture of Rear Camera Location, position.
Thank You.

In my mind, that's a temporary mounting solution. I cut out a piece of plastic from an old fog light and zip tied it to the rear rack, camera had double sided tape already on the back. However, it's more solid than I figured it would be and then there's the oughta sight oughta mind factor. Plus it's a 38.00 camera and was sure how long it's gonna last. We will see.

Reactions: TooFar

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
. . .

However, it's more solid than I figured it would be and then there's the oughta sight oughta mind factor. Plus it's a 38.00 camera and was sure how long it's gonna last. We will see.
In a world of distracted drivers :rolleyes: , hopefully that will never need to be determined.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks really clean.
Thanks for posting all this.
Without the front fairing, the AT looks like it has a rally instrument stack. (y)

Will you get a chance to take off for a weekend road trip?

·
Registered
65 Posts
View attachment 56691
Initially I had routed the adventure bike shop wire harness along that horizontal bar just above the upper headlight mounting bolts(the one shiny bolt in photo). No joy there, that front panel wouldn't fit, it's tight across there! Had to pull headlight out a ways to route harness on backside. That makes installing headlight a little snug as the main harness is already back there. This allowed the front panel to fit as it should.

View attachment 56692
Bikes back together. To me, the biggest issue is dealing with removing and installing the air cleaner box.

View attachment 56693
Love the cyclops lights! Took it for a spin tonight, they increase visibility by quite a bit. One thing I didn't know the adventure bike shop harness would do is, if the fog light switch is in the off position, when I turn on high beams, the fog lights come on. Switch functions as normal on low beam. However, with switch in off position and high beams on, the fog light indicator isn't on. It only comes on when fog light switch is in the on position.

Cruise works great!
Rod,
Nice set up!! When you ordered the Cyclops, did you get the white led kit without the switch since your harness came with a switch? Also, do the Cyclops plug-n-play to the harness? Thanks,
Pikester

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just ordered the basic Pegasus light kit(no colored filters, no switch, no nothing, but it does come with a harness). I didn't order the kit from cyclops for the AT.

The Adventure Bike Shop harness, I believe, has been wired for plug and play on Denali lights. I simply cut those ends off the ABS harness, and the cyclops ends off the cyclops harness and soldered those to the ABS harness for plug and play with Pegasus lights.

Reactions: TooFar
1 - 20 of 34 Posts