Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've got an issue with my AT where its starting without the key in the ignition.if the kill switch is in the centre position,all the lights and dash are on, then when i press it it fires up,the keys are in my pocket. Ive got a vid but not sure how or if i can upload it. Has anyone come across this before.thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
2020 AT model? It was said Honda was adding its keyless ignition to the list of new features. Not sure if they actually did it. It has been available on some of their scooters like the 2019 Forza 300.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I doubt this is the case here, but I've had several vehicles over the years that there was just enough play in the barrel, that the key could be removed while staying in the on position. Of course turning to the off completely worked everytime, but you could wiggle the key out while everything was still on.

If turning the key isn't shutting the bike off, I would think there's corrosion or something amiss in the barrel with the switch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it happened while parked in public - then did someone possibly mess with it trying to steal it? Hmmm - I guess I don't miss having H.I.S.S. ...

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,104 Posts
I doubt this is the case here, but I've had several vehicles over the years that there was just enough play in the barrel, that the key could be removed while staying in the on position. Of course turning to the off completely worked everytime, but you could wiggle the key out while everything was still on.

If turning the key isn't shutting the bike off, I would think there's corrosion or something amiss in the barrel with the switch.
Well if it’s like the guy in the vid, he never even stuck the key in it, in fact it was in the LOCKED position :surprise:

If it happened while parked in public - then did someone possibly mess with it trying to steal it? Hmmm - I guess I don't miss having H.I.S.S. ...
Point is with H.I.S.S. it’s supposed to DISABLE the ignition with out the right key period. Tho in the vid the guy does have the key. And a chipped key works with RF so I don’t know the range on the reader on the bike that will pick up that key, I mean it’s the same thing with a fob for a car or truck, they work if just in close vicinity (like a push button starter)..
So it would be interesting to see if the bike would start if the key was no where near it, but either way it shouldn’t even cranked over with the ignition in OFF.. That is the whole point of having a KEY for any vehicle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think, as the receiver is surrounding the ignition. The HISS will only turn off if the key is inserted. The key is not powered... It doesn't have a battery. But anyway, this is a serious fault. Insurance is void. And who knows what other electrical gremlins could be present waiting to bite you in the ass. hard. I would not want to ride a bike that was behaving like that.

The bike should have gone back to the dealership immediately and then the story could wait until the problem was fully diagnosed and cured.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had the same issue with my AT it was just sat in the garage with no one near it and the keys in the house when it started to crankover and the only way to stop it was to pull a fuse -- the kill switch did nothing and if you put the key in and turned the ignition on it obviously fired up but switching off did nothing . It went into the dealers and the replaced the whole starter/kill switch under warranty --nothing to do with H.I.S.S. just a faulty switch which although the dealers deny such things just looking the forums shows it is not unknown on the earlier bikes . Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
Had the same issue with my AT it was just sat in the garage with no one near it and the keys in the house when it started to crankover and the only way to stop it was to pull a fuse -- the kill switch did nothing and if you put the key in and turned the ignition on it obviously fired up but switching off did nothing . It went into the dealers and the replaced the whole starter/kill switch under warranty --nothing to do with H.I.S.S. just a faulty switch which although the dealers deny such things just looking the forums shows it is not unknown on the earlier bikes . Hope this helps.
That is ghastly! Really? (wow)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,104 Posts
By default it HAS to do with the H.I.S.S. the point of H.I.S.S. is to keep the bike from being hot wired or started in ANY WAY with out the key period. No matter what switch was faulty the bike shouldn’t start period. If it starts without the key in ANY way then the H.I.S.S. is NOT working, after all what good is it having an ignition kill to stop theft if you can just bypass it. In short a “hot wire” job...If one can just bypass the security key and the H.I.S.S. by shorting out the switch, kinda defeats the purpose of having both...Or for that fact a key at all..My point is I can see in this sad circumstance the bike cranking over at most but it shouldn’t start if the H.I.S.S. is working right. The way I understand it, it’s supposed to stop the fuel and coils from working, basically the ECU doesn’t work, hence you can crank the bike till the battery dies and it still SHOULD NOT start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts