Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks. I started motorcycling late in life at age 26. I'm 50 now and my bike history is listed in my signature. I'm spoiled to live in a place with great roads (the San Francisco area) and I'm also spoiled by having been lucky enough to road race for nine seasons with the AFM.

I've owned several bikes but the Africa Twin I bought last month is the first one I've bought new.

I call it the Cheater Bike because it's so competent at everything I've thrown at it so far both on- and off-pavement. I have done dirt roads on it now but not proper off-road riding yet.

For the record:
  1. So far my spokes are doing just fine. I'm not even sure what's supposed to go wrong with them.
  2. My Honda heated grips get warm enough to be very useful, albeit not as warm as some grips I've tried on others' bikes.
  3. I'm bummed that the 12v accessory outlet switches off and on with the ignition, and a bit less bummed that it supposedly has a 1-amp current limit.
Happy to be here! I look forward to getting lots of great advice and to helping out where I can.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm bummed that the 12v accessory outlet switches off and on with the ignition, and a bit less bummed that it supposedly has a 1-amp current limit.
I thought that outlet was 1A also but can't remember where that came from? I have recently fitted mine (08U70-MJP-G50) and the caution sticker it came with said 12V/2A. ???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Robert,

Type 'pics of spokes' in search at top right of page and you will see what some of the early spokes looked like after a few weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Link to the thread Doug was talking about: http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/185-wheels-tires-suspension/5577-pics-spokes.html

Glad to have you here!

What other bikes have been in your garage?
What class did you race with the AFM?
Thanks for the spokes link, Señor Spokesperson. :) I would have thought spokes would be a solved problem by 2016 but hey, what do I know?

All the bikes I've ever owned are listed in my signature. What's missing is the number of each one. :) All are one or more, but depending on whether you count parts bikes and the like, the number of CB650SCs could be more than one and the number of EX250s could be more than 5.

I raced EX250s (in 250 production, winning the class in 2000 and 2001) and both models of GSX-R750s listed in my signature (the '98 and the 2000) in 750 production and 750 superbike, winning the 750 production class in 2003.

Reactions: Superhatch
1 - 5 of 5 Posts