Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
925 Posts
You know, I have never really understood the physics of why beads or liquid actually can balance a tire... I am assuming that they provide some damping effect to the vibration, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they could improve balance.

But I'm just an IE (imaginary engineer, as my EE buddies would say...)
Hey B. The answer's pretty simple when you get down to it. Basically the heavy spot on the tire "pulls" or slightly accelerates the tire in the direction of its position relative to the axle. This centripidal force would be something in the range of delta-mass * rotation rate^2 * radius. This force on the tire acts in the plane of rotation. Anything inside the tire that can move (balance beads, Slime, etc.) will be "thrown" to the opposite side of the tire, working to even things out. Another way to look at it is via conservation of angular momentum (why most big objects in space are spherical), but those equations are uglier to work with.

This guy is a little dry to listen to so start the vid at 40 secs or so. He has great graphics. :p

Reactions: ragnarher

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
600 Posts
Hey B. The answer's pretty simple when you get down to it. Basically the heavy spot on the tire "pulls" or slightly accelerates the tire in the direction of its position relative to the axle. This centripidal force would be something in the range of delta-mass * rotation rate^2 * radius. This force on the tire acts in the plane of rotation. Anything inside the tire that can move (balance beads, Slime, etc.) will be "thrown" to the opposite side of the tire, working to even things out. Another way to look at it is via conservation of angular momentum (why most big objects in space are spherical), but those equations are uglier to work with.

This guy is a little dry to listen to so start the vid at 40 secs or so. He has great graphics. :p

Magic!

But now the engineer in my requires a clear tire that is out of balance to be spun up to 40mph with beads in it, so I can see that work!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Once agian, thanks for all replies. It is really touching to see the engagement. I really apprechiate it.
I have finally found about what was wrong. As eralier said, I tried another tyre. Problem lasted. Kellox (thos who imort Honda to Norway) was not really helpful and suggested it was the tyre. Never anything wrong with Honda was their repy. Nice attitude :NOT: So being a little upset of all this I bout another tyre, put it on the rim an suddenly I realised that the problem was gone. Never thought that 3 tyres could have the same defect, but it was so. Wishes you all a happy week-end.(y):)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts