Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am about six weeks into my new bike, my first Adventure Bike. I picked up a new 2019 ATAS DCT at the end of November. I was considering a GSA 1250 (way too expensive) and a 2019 GS1250 but went for the ATAS because of price (I got a really great deal), looks - I think it is better looking than the BMW and Honda reliability/running costs. I have two kids in college and frankly the difference in price between my bike and even the GS1250 will pay for several semesters in school.

I added OE Panniers and Top Box. Top Box...on an AS I hear you say! Well yes, I found a Shad mounting bracket for one of their boxes online, and had a machine shop make a mating plate so I could mount the OE Top Box. One key, matching luggage, a backrest for my wife and great looks. Oh and I built the key locks myself - not as daunting as I first imagined.

I also added Denali 2.0 lights, mounted on the OE mount on the crash bars. I installed the DataDim and switch eliminator plug so aux lights come on with ignition and dim to 50% with hi/low beam switch.

I also installed the OE low seat. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and the standard OE seat, even in the low position was just too high. The OE low seat in the high position is perfect for me. Looks OE and is very comfortable too.

I did my 600 mile oil and filter(s) change last night and overall, am very happy with this bike.

I have about 700 miles on it and included an off road adventure too as I rode to the top of Santiago Peak (Orange County, CA) just before Christmas - which BTW it and DCT handled just fine, although the Gravel setting was not helpful. I never thought I would like the DCT but on the advice of a friend who knows, he urged me to get this bike. I am so glad I did. I love the DCT. I normally ride in S3 mode and let the shifting happen as the bike needs it. I absolutely love those throttle blipping downshifts. Anyway, just saying hi.

Mo.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi and welcome and congrats,
Almost got the 19 ATAS DCT but ended up with a 18 ATAS DCT in May of last year. Funny thing is I really didn’t really care for the color of the 19 in all the pics I seen of it, but seeing it IRL changed my mind, it does look really really good. I only have a little over 5000 miles on mine and love it too, tho unfortunately I didn’t take any big camping trips last year, but, I did a coupe of “good” rides and broke in the Corbin seat.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts