Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
So after a while of getting advice from you all and hopefully giving back a bit, I finally picked up my new AT yesterday! Heading out now to start installing some of the accessories I bought already. Eastern beaver 3cs on the way so will wait before doing the electricals but for now some pics of the very rare candy prominence red colour! I love it!
Will post updates and pics on this thread as I go along to share some ideas and extras I’ve found.
Enjoy, I know I will :)

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very nice can't wait for weather to change to get mine out again started it up yesterday
Thanks. Nice and sunny today in London though will still need to be careful with the Dunlop’s. Dealer assured me that the UK bikes had a different compound to the American ones. We’ll see but the rubber feels soft enough even with this cold weather so I’m hoping it will be okay until I do the conversion to tubeless and TA2’s in the summer

·
Registered
975 Posts
Good luck with your new bike and installing the accessories. The candy apple red looks great and even better in the flesh. You'll see some similarities to your Varadero when you get out riding but the AT is a way better bike in almost every respect. Have fun!

Reactions: VaraderoTwin

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was slowed down a bit by the 4*C weather and adjusting the rear brake and gear lever to fit my feet and boots but got a few cosmetics farkles on today and then went for a ride :)
I think my steering or fork is a bit off. The garage checked yesterday and measured with lasers and everything but I still think it’s a bit off. Need to go back to my usual trusted garage to check again but I know what I feel.
Today added:
1-Mirror extender/risers. 6£ off Ebay and makes a big difference
2-Fork stem cover, looks great, from rugged roads
3-Phone/gps X grip, Ebay
4-HRC tank and tank plug cover, will go nicely with the carbon fenda extenda when I get it
5-Moved the Givi covers to the front to cover the joint between the crash protectors. Other pair on the lower bars, they’re a nice touch that the other manufacturers don’t have.

Next up this week, r&g fork and swingarm sliders, fenda extenda (once I figure out how to remove the front fender because of the brake hoses lol), Denali soundbomb mini, r&g headlight protectors, and grip puppies while I wait to install the Oxford adventure grips. The oem grips a pretty small for my hands, 2XL glove size. Noticed the oxfords are larger.

Probably going to put a higher screen as at 6’3 it’s a bit small. I like the Puig or the Givi one. Love the exhaust sound, really good for now so unless I want to go louder I’ll keep it.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice color. Had a 97 GL 1500 SE with a two tone, and that was the primary. Beautiful in the sunshine!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had my fork preload wound up to max and found it so much better on atas so maybe more fork travel
I feel like there is plenty of fork travel, hardly feel the speed bumps and holes in the road.

What I meant about the fork or bars or that I feel the right grip is closer to me than the left. So when I put the bars to what feels like an even distance from my body, the bike leans right (with the steering veering left). So it feels like maybe the steering isn't perfectly aligned. I'll need a long straight and flat road to be 100% sure but I definitely feel my arms aren't equal positions when going in a straight line. (Also, the HISS tag on the key hole isn't completely straight with the bike when going straight. I know this doesn't mean anything in itself but when I push the bars to what I feel is straight, the words are centred.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My bars were misaligned right from day one. The right side of the bars is slightly closer to the dash than the left. No noticeable difference in steering or handling but you can see it visually.

There are a few threads on the forum on how to remedy this:

https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...orum/27002-misaligned-factory-bar-risers.html

Search for misaligned, crooked or skewed forks/bars and you'll see about four or five threads.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bars were misaligned right from day one. The right side of the bars is slightly closer to the dash than the left. No noticeable difference in steering or handling but you can see it visually.

There are a few threads on the forum on how to remedy this:

https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...orum/27002-misaligned-factory-bar-risers.html

Search for misaligned, crooked or skewed forks/bars and you'll see about four or five threads.
Thanks for this Superfunkomatic :) . From what I heard after a quick call to my usual mechanic it can be the way the bike is strapped down in the shipping crate, it can move the rubber mountings.
Just to stick it in the face of the dealer and his mechanics though (who all 4 said it was fine), I'll probably go back there and have a little bitch about, might get some discounts :) Bit surprised though as they sell loads of AT's. There were 3 more getting prepped for customers in the workshop and about 10 overall on display in the store

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received my order today from R&G. All looks very good quality and will help keep the bike intact and protected, which is my main priority for now. Will post pictures once all installed. Figured out the front fender after watching a YouTube video. The Denali soundbomb “mini” is not so mini in your hand but will still fit fine in the oem spot. Can’t wait to hear the noise difference :)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Denali mini could be a tight fit on full left lock - will be interested in how you get on as it is on my wanted list. I managed the fenda extender with mudguard in situ. but I had the pyramid version which could be stuck on before I used the rivets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also went for rear hugger (in white natch!) which I further extended at the front to protect the rear shock from road muck. It was my second one as first cracked when I put it on and in use due to stresses (drilled holes weren't in correct place). I did feedback to the designer at Pyramid when they gave me another one. I had to extend holes a few mm then mount on rubber washers but seems good now. No idea if they have taken into account.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Denali mini could be a tight fit on full left lock - will be interested in how you get on as it is on my wanted list. I managed the fenda extender with mudguard in situ. but I had the pyramid version which could be stuck on before I used the rivets.
Denali supply a purpose made bracket for the AT to mount the Soundbomb on theLH side of the engine. It works well and is fairly unobtrusive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also went for rear hugger (in white natch!) which I further extended at the front to protect the rear shock from road muck. It was my second one as first cracked when I put it on and in use due to stresses (drilled holes weren't in correct place). I did feedback to the designer at Pyramid when they gave me another one. I had to extend holes a few mm then mount on rubber washers but seems good now. No idea if they have taken into account.
I will ask before I order.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just checked, seems it might be a tightish fit but should be okay. The Denali mini is wide in diameter but not massively thick at the top, where it will be closest to the fork. They supply also a new mounting double plate metal thingy, which I think is slightly longer than the oem one so should bring the horn a bit lower. I'll try installing tonight if I have time and will update.

The R&G fenda extender also has the sticky tape, but I'll remove the fender anyway to see how it works and do a clean install. I want to put some sikaflex ebt on the inside joint too so it will stop dirty water leaking through the tape over the fenda extender and will also dampen any vibration.

Denali supply a purpose made bracket for the AT to mount the Soundbomb on theLH side of the engine. It works well and is fairly unobtrusive.
Just to clarify:
If you mean left hand side on the actual side of the bike then I think you mean the bracket for the full Denali Soundbomb 120db version?. That looks good and is probably ridiculously loud but was more expensive and requires additional wiring, not plug and play.

If you mean the left hand side of the radiator at the front, then yes, the 2 layer metal bracket supplied should be a bit longer to increase clearance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you got a link to the mirror extenders? I've noticed my elbows in my mirrors mostly....

eBay item number:
Motorcycle Mirror Extender-Riser-Extension Bracket Black 10mm - M10 Suit Honda
Seller information
road-and-race-online (59448 Feedback score: 59448

If you go for different ones, make sure they actually rise up too and not just out or on the right side you'll have clearance issues with the throttle cables. If you have the 2018 model with tbw you'll be fine with any. These come in singles, there are some cheaper ones in pairs, but these looked good and work well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts