Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Africa Twin observations after my first few rides.

1. When the ABS is engaged, you feel a significant "pulse" through the rear brake pedal when you purposely try to lock-up the rear brake. I was surprised how pronounced it was.

2. I would like a throttle lock for long stretches of road. It gets monotonous holding the throttle in one position for a long time and you feel the cold in your right hand sooner as your hand is not active.

3. I would like some pegs on the front somewhere. When I get crash bars, I will add some forward pegs to allow me to change the riding position. However, the rear pegs do provide a good spot to rest your feet for a change of riding position.

4. I notice a slight slope forward to the seat; however, I'd prefer it be more level. I will play with trying to put the seat in the lower rear spot and higher front hook to see if that levels the seat (if that's even possible).

5. The wind protection is very good. I'd like to try the taller windshield to see what it's like…. but I don't want to buy a new tall windscreen just to experiment.

6. The horn is not very loud, it's a feeble "meep, meep" that almost embarrassing. A louder, aftermarket horn would be preferable.

7. I still have to pause when I engage the turn signal. It's now positioned where the horn used to be, and I have not yet adjusted… but I will.

8. I am tempted to stop carrying tool kit that's beside the battery. It's not quick or easy to access and it seems too small to be useful.

9. Locating neutral on this bike is very easy.

10. On the right foot peg, my heel (size 11 riding boots) comes to rest on part of the exhaust. I did get used to it, or maybe I adjusted my foot position without thinking about it, but it was a small annoyance in the beginning.

Summary: These observations may lead to some adjustments or farkles, which is part of the fun or motorcycling; personalizing the bike to my preferences. Overall the Africa Twin is an awesome bike, it feels great to ride and I love the upright seating position. The bike carries its weight low and has a light feel overall. The engine is very smooth and responsive, and the gear shifts feel very precise and light. I didn't think I would care about the gear indicator, but I really do like this feature. I cannot wait to get some more miles on this bike and start off-roading.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd agree with all of these, but instead of forward pegs I just when with the larger pegs and they work great. Also have cleats to help keep boots clear of packed dirt.
I switch bikes often. That Horn Button really is annoying...HA!

·
Registered
273 Posts
8. I am tempted to stop carrying tool kit that's beside the battery. It's not quick or easy to access and it seems too small to be useful.
I'm looking at the Bumot panniers and racks, they make a locking toolbox that fits inbound on the left rack. I'll measure my after-market toolkit that I really like and see if it would fit in that toolbox - if so, then that would be a great solution for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Kaoka throttle lock/cruise control works exceptionally well for me.
Mike
That Kaoko unit is the one I'm going to get mike5100, I'm checking for better prices here in Canada because the first website had it at $244 with tax and shipping included.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at the Bumot panniers and racks, they make a locking toolbox that fits inbound on the left rack. I'll measure my after-market toolkit that I really like and see if it would fit in that toolbox - if so, then that would be a great solution for me.
That sounds like a better solution KiwiMike. So far I'm leaning toward the Outback Motortek crash bars but I've not ordered anything yet. I'm going to get a small tail-bag for tools and small items.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That sounds like a better solution KiwiMike. So far I'm leaning toward the Outback Motortek crash bars but I've not ordered anything yet. I'm going to get a small tail-bag for tools and small items.
I haven't even bought the AT yet and I too am looking at the Outback Motortek crash bars.
For the Outback Motortek crash bars + Bumot panniers & racks + Bumot toolbox + Givi Trekker 58L top box + Black Dog large footpegs + better handguards + heated grips + . . . Well, I'm certainly going to get through some money even after the purchase of the bike.

I've already received an SW Motech steel rack and the Givi Monokey adapter is on the way for it, I'll mount my current E-55 top box initially to give me somewhere to store stuff for now. I'll probably just throw my toolkit into the top box until I get around to buying the Bumot panniers & rack + toolbox. I might get the Outback Motortek Combo #5 (crash bars, engine case guards and a bash plate) first because I can have fun riding the bike without needing the panniers straight away.

Next February I'll likely be doing a ~ two-week trip and I'll want panniers for that. My plan would be to buy the Bumot rack & panniers set for the AT and to also buy the toolbox to go with them. I don't suppose I really need to get the toolbox, I could put my toolkit into one of the panniers. But the toolbox isn't all that much extra money and it does provide that little extra bit of storage. Also, the toolbox allows access to the toolkit without having to rummage through the contents of one of the panniers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're going to get an aftermarket horn, check out the Denali SoundBomb. It's what I put on my Africa Twin and it's the real deal. Also had one on my previous bike and wouldn't go with anything else. There is even a mounting bracket for SoundBomb made specifically for the Africa Twin for a factory looking setup. I can't remember who makes it (either Denali or SW-Motech).

I'll take a picture and post it up when I get home tonight if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Africa Twin observations after my first few rides.

1. When the ABS is engaged, you feel a significant "pulse" through the rear brake pedal when you purposely try to lock-up the rear brake. I was surprised how pronounced it was.

2. I would like a throttle lock for long stretches of road. It gets monotonous holding the throttle in one position for a long time and you feel the cold in your right hand sooner as your hand is not active.

3. I would like some pegs on the front somewhere. When I get crash bars, I will add some forward pegs to allow me to change the riding position. However, the rear pegs do provide a good spot to rest your feet for a change of riding position.

4. I notice a slight slope forward to the seat; however, I'd prefer it be more level. I will play with trying to put the seat in the lower rear spot and higher front hook to see if that levels the seat (if that's even possible).

5. The wind protection is very good. I'd like to try the taller windshield to see what it's like…. but I don't want to buy a new tall windscreen just to experiment.

6. The horn is not very loud, it's a feeble "meep, meep" that almost embarrassing. A louder, aftermarket horn would be preferable.

7. I still have to pause when I engage the turn signal. It's now positioned where the horn used to be, and I have not yet adjusted… but I will.

9. Locating neutral on this bike is very easy.

10. On the right foot peg, my heel (size 11 riding boots) comes to rest on part of the exhaust. I did get used to it, or maybe I adjusted my foot position without thinking about it, but it was a small annoyance in the beginning.

Summary: These observations may lead to some adjustments or farkles, which is part of the fun or motorcycling; personalizing the bike to my preferences. Overall the Africa Twin is an awesome bike, it feels great to ride and I love the upright seating position. The bike carries its weight low and has a light feel overall. The engine is very smooth and responsive, and the gear shifts feel very precise and light. I didn't think I would care about the gear indicator, but I really do like this feature. I cannot wait to get some more miles on this bike and start off-roading.
i had nearly all of these thoughts myself. i still nail the horn when im looking for the turn signal and hit my heel on the pipe.
the taller windscreen is well worth it.. though while stand up riding offroad im quite aware that a misstep could result in that thing chopping me in the throat or visor. the adjustable bracket may be the better option (or the attachable piece to extend the windscreen up).
highway bars would be super. i did 1400 miles this weekend and unlike my tiger my legs never really got tired (my ass got sore!) but highway pegs would be a nice addition. i personally prefer pronounced abs activation in the rear at least. i want to know where that line is... i generally try to sort out what its going to take to activate and how it reacts before i need to use it.

That Kaoko unit is the one I'm going to get mike5100, I'm checking for better prices here in Canada because the first website had it at $244 with tax and shipping included.
here i am balking at the price of that throttle lock when i shelled out almost $800 for the electronic CC. i wouldd 100% buy it again though. its quite hilly where i live and its been invaluable

heed bars! theyre cheap ($250 on ebay), easy to put on, and cover all the important bits.

If you're going to get an aftermarket horn, check out the Denali SoundBomb. It's what I put on my Africa Twin and it's the real deal. Also had one on my previous bike and wouldn't go with anything else. There is even a mounting bracket for SoundBomb made specifically for the Africa Twin for a factory looking setup. I can't remember who makes it (either Denali or SW-Motech).

I'll take a picture and post it up when I get home tonight if anyone is interested.
i cannot say enough good things about this horn.. although it does draw nearly 20Amperes.... its quite the attention getter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes the horn is useless.is the denelli easy to fit.Is it a matter of just changing around.
The installation is as straight forward as it gets. You don't even have to remove your stock horn. The Denali has it's own mounting bracket and location. The most difficult part is routing the wiring harness and it's not that difficult... speaking of which, I highly recommend getting the optional wiring harness instead of wiring it up yourself. It makes the installation cleaner and a lot easier.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to take photos yesterday. I was busy with a sick baby. Will get those photos today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seat Concepts will remedy the seat problem, the one they make for the AT looks great and is all day comfortable. It does away with the slope and the seating portion is maybe 1" wider as well. Personally I like to occasionally shift postiion so I don't like the gripper cover. I also prefer my seats to be quite firm, almost like a Corbin, which SC will do upon request. I have SC seats on my AT, my GSA, and am about to order one for my Versys 300 as well.

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/honda/products/honda-africa-twin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah that would be great, that's the one I was looking at, so seeing how you mounted it would be great. Did you run a relay to power it...do you have to??? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Wiley,
I'll see how it gos for the first few weeks and then decide. The extra width sounds like that would help too. My last bike had a Russell Daylong seat and it was super comfortable, probably largely from the width.

Seat Concepts will remedy the seat problem, the one they make for the AT looks great and is all day comfortable. It does away with the slope and the seating portion is maybe 1" wider as well. Personally I like to occasionally shift postiion so I don't like the gripper cover. I also prefer my seats to be quite firm, almost like a Corbin, which SC will do upon request. I have SC seats on my AT, my GSA, and am about to order one for my Versys 300 as well.

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/honda/products/honda-africa-twin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback Transplant, I will check out those Heed bars. That will leave me more $ for other goodies.

heed bars! theyre cheap ($250 on ebay), easy to put on, and cover all the important bits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wiley, is it true that you can only order the seat cover and foam, and then I have to rip apart the OEM seat and recover it?
Did you recover yours yourself, or take it to someone to do? What was that like, what tools did you need to reattach the new cover?
Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm going to put a heating element in my seat. No problems removing the old cover/OEM cover with a prying device. Didn't damage the foam or cover at all.
I have a pneumatic stapler that I'm going to tack it all back together with. Really not a difficult job if you're patient and take your time.

Wiley, is it true that you can only order the seat cover and foam, and then I have to rip apart the OEM seat and recover it?
Did you recover yours yourself, or take it to someone to do? What was that like, what tools did you need to reattach the new cover?
Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes you receive new shaped foam with a cover to fit along with a fitted cover for the stock shape rear foam so front and rear match. I've done four myself now and will say I was a little nervous on the first one but it's really quite easy. You unstable the factory cover, which is probably the most difficult part, the foam just lifts right off. I spot glued the new foam onto the base with spray contact adhesive just to prevent it from moving while I staple the new cover on.
I picked up a pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight along with 1/4" staples for under $30. https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-stapler-61619.html

Here's a comparison of the original seat foam with the new SC seat.

The stock seat width is effectively 11" at which point the foam slopes downward to the side.

SC foam is slightly dished so the sides raise up almost to the edge then turns down which gets you 12 1/2" width. Also as mentioned they completely do away with the forward slope. This is accomplished by slightly raising or building up the front while leaving the rear seating about the same height as stock.

SC also offers a Rally seat for the AT which is completely different, the riders seat is probably 3" taller and it includes new passenger foam as well because they lower it.

Here's a video of them showing you how to recover a seat.

They'll do the recover for you for only $25 but shipping a seat base to them and shipping back can be expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts