Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 2k on the Shinko 804 big knobbies. 60% dirt.. The short of it is: I like the tire on asphalt, good highway traction. No complaints there. I did not like the off road performance. Breaks away and slides out way too easy. So much that I replaced them with plenty of rubber left. I did not ride them in rain. Cannot comment on that.
I replaced with the Michelin Anakee Wilds... Just finished 250 miles today of 70% dirt. Much much better. And did great on highway too. It’s the better hookup in dirt that I noticed. Keepers so far.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry, I had both front and back... The back was a bit worse than front, for breaking loose.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree. I had the 804/805 combo and they are just fine in gravel (but not great) and really good as a road tire. For the money they are a great deal.
When I put on the Anakee Wild, I really noticed a difference in front end 'bite' and grip - they are light years better offroad and really good on the road - just noisy (but I wear earplugs and don't really mind).

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
279 Posts
Same here. Did not like them off pavement. Took them off after around a 1k miles in Colorado. Fitted an MT-21 in the front and a Tractionator in the back. Way much better! The MT-21 was good for about 3,500 miles. The Tractionator is sitting in the garage with some remaining life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Running the 804/805 Shinkos now in the deep sand off road and then back home on the pavement, & compared to the stock tires these do really well in the soft sand for me. Great price, and so far the deep paddle type rear digs in and floats thru the soft sand & the 804 front bites and tracks really well.
Works for me, & to each there own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For myself they feel great both off road and on the road. Today I was riding again in the desert sand , then on hard dirt/sand rutted out back roads, & had no problems at all.
Running 33 psi front and rear, using tubes & added Stan’s “no tubes tire sealant” approx 2 ounces per tire.
Not noisy on the pavement and they dig in well for me in the sand. Feel pretty confident running these tires.

·
Registered
975 Posts
They are pretty competent at both. I just think there are better offroad tires - I've used the Pirelli MT21, Anakee Wild, Mitas E12, Mitas MC23 and they are all significantly better offroad and pretty capable road tires as well.
I think the Shinko 804/805 are really good tires for the money and performance and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
The Shinkos seem to have more lateral movement when they are hunting for grip than the more dirt oriented tires. If you know that when riding it isn't an issue - they are still really good tires and half the price of all the others I've listed above. To date, the Anakee Wild front tire is the best balance overall - grip, confidence, longevity.

So the Shinkos are allegedly 60% dirt & 40% yet it performed or rather felt better on pavement than dirt???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts