Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I purchase my first ever Motorcycle yesterday. I was looking at used bikes, I found an old inventory 2018 Africa Twin for $10999. It was less expensive than most used bikes. My bike had less than a mile on it yesterday and today it has almost 130 miles. I have to wait 3 weeks for my motorcycle safety course so I can get my motorcycle license, but I had to take it out on the country roads today. My brothers thought I was crazy buying a CRF1000! I told them that since it's an automatic it will be easier for me to learn on. There were times I felt pretty dumb buying it, but after putting almost 130 miles on it I feel very comfortable. Of course I had it on the gravel mode so it wasn't getting away from me. I wanted a bike that didnt make me look like a giant sitting on. I looked for a forum so I can see what types of accessories I can add to my bike. I hope to find and learn a lot of good information on here.
20200513_141254.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Trading up was the one thing I dont want to constantly do. I think I will be very happy. I just need to find out about the accessories for it now. I need some kind of compartment for storage.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
Hi and welcome

·
Registered
979 Posts
Great bike! Best advice I can give to someone starting out, particularly on a big bike, take a training course to learn good habits and skills.
Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I am scheduled for a 2 day course the first week of June. I'm going to continue riding around my small town to get used to starting, stopping, signaling, turning from a stop and anything else that might be needed in real life.. No license is needed in my town because everybody rides ATV's, UTV's, Golf carts and anything not street legal. It's a city ordinance. So, I'm very fortunate.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome James , I ride a 2016 manual 57k , love the AT , your new ride will keep you smiling. I’m jealous my home town, lots of cops & regulations. Enjoy your new ride 😎😎💯

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is funny, My 49th Birthday is next week I I just bought a 2019 AT. Too bad we don't live a little closer we could ride together.
Here it is with all of 13 miles on it. ( The distance from the dealer)

IMG_1485.JPEG

Congrats on your new Adventure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
There seems to be a theme here! I’m a week off turning 49 and I purchased my new 2019 model a couple of months ago. Maybe they are a mid life crisis bike! Haha. I’m really enjoying my Africa Twin after 6 years riding a BMW R1200GS adventure. Good luck with yours. Very nice in that colour scheme. 👌🏼

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy Birthday guys! Yes, I think it is a mid life crisis Bike! I'm enjoying mine even though I don't have my motorcycle license yet. I made a very big Amazon purchase a couple of days ago. I ordered the Altrider upper and lower crash bars, pannier racks, larger windscreen, Barkbusters handguards, Ram x phone mount, OE Genuine Honda 12 volt accessory socket, and a few more items for my AT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
James, that sounds a lot like my wish list. Except I am going with the Quad lock phone mount, I am adding OEM center stand and Altrider skid plates.

Can’t wait to see your ride when it is done.

I’m fine it being called a midlife crisis bike. I’ll own that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I agree, that’s a nice list James! So far I’ve only put the Ram phone mount, Kaoko throttle stabiliser, Altrider rear rack and an Oxford tail bag on. Bikes here in Australia come standard with the centre stand. I’ll be interested to hear how your larger screen goes. That’s probably next on my list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered the center stand the day I purchased my bike and it will be installed when I take it in for the 600 mile service. I have nearly 200 miles so far and I think I will probably be taking it the 2nd week of June for the first service. I will be happy when I can start installing everything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts