Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back off a ride today and had a conversation with my wife..

"I'm thinking about getting something sensible and easier to push around the gravel drive now my 70th birthday is approaching"...

"Well you can forget that idea".

"Why is that?".

"Because I'm not having you wandering around the place like a bear with a sore arxx moaning about getting rid of another bike. Especially THAT one..you haven't stopped singing it's praises since you got it...and it looks lovely".

Result.

She stopped me from buying a big KTM last year with the words.."it looks all silly..like a fly...it's just not nice to look at".

Believe me...if you are married then take your wife with you when you are looking for a new bike. It's an emotional thing for them as well as you I suppose. Her days on the pillion have ended but if she doesn't give a bike the seal of approval then it's toast as far as I'm concerned.

Fifty years married this year and she's put up with all my bike mania throughout (sniff).

Love her.

But...if she takes a dirt nap before I do I might get a Harley as a second bike...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, once (while I had my 2018 ATAS already), I took my wife to a KTM store and showed her the 1290 SA. Her reaction was "that thing is ugly as a fly".... I showed photos to my daughter (18 yrs old); she said "bliah, this bike's headlight looks like fly's head". I was never very fond of KTM aesthetics (exception was the 1290T), but after the aforementioned input, I also "saw" the "fly" thing on this bike.

Women know better, I guess, when it comes purely to aesthetics. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tired of hearing my wife complain about my '18 ATAS so I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. She likes it but won't ride with me. So that's the end of the wife hating issues for me and been married long enough to know toys aren't worth fighting about. Fifth and last bike I will ever own. 2nd Honda after the '07 ST1300. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tired of hearing my wife complain about my '18 ATAS so I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. She likes it but won't ride with me. So that's the end of the wife hating issues for me and been married long enough to know toys aren't worth fighting about. Fifth and last bike I will ever own. 2nd Honda after the '07 ST1300. :cry::cry::cry:
If she likes it, what is she complaining about? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just don't understand anymore . . . but she has been feeling a bit depressed over a death in her family.
Ok, this is not a forum for such discussions and I sincerely apologize for suggesting on a private matter, but, maybe the depression she suffers due to loosing a beloved one is deeper and this triggers abnormal reactions. What I am trying to say is that selling your bike, will not necessarily make things better. Maybe your lady needs some expert support to manage her grieve.

I know depression, I have cases in my family; it is so treacherous, you find out how serious it is when it is quite late.

Wish you and your lady the best, pal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, this is not a forum for such discussions and I sincerely apologize for suggesting on a private matter, but, maybe the depression she suffers due to loosing a beloved one is deeper and this triggers abnormal reactions. What I am trying to say is that selling your bike, will not necessarily make things better. Maybe your lady needs some expert support to manage her grieve.

I know depression, I have cases in my family; it is so treacherous, you find out how serious it is when it is quite late.

Wish you and your lady the best, pal.
Thank you for your condolences. Personally I am not a touch feely kinda dude but she's extra sensitive and cries heavily even when actors die in the movies. I say a prayer and let the Lord take care of things after that, then I go about my day focusing my attention in this dimension. When it's my time I pray there's room for a cold SOB like me in heaven, but hope it doesn't happen for at least another 20+ years.

Listing my bike tonight with 1,900 miles and $5k in farkles like Honda Extd Warranty until Summer 2024 with tow service, Remus, Alt Rider, Touratec, Barkbusters, Camel, Givi, etc (some still new in the box).
Just trying to figure out how people make payments. I'll be listing here and Cycle Trader.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No worries she has everything she needs too - LOL

Ready to get back into a convertible, maybe a Jeep but only have room for one and not both
I was about to suggest a Wrangler. My wife stopped riding after our son was born, so we added a Wrangler in order to enjoy the top down with the whole family. A "TJ" is the sweet spot in my opinion.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
496 Posts
I was about to suggest a Wrangler. My wife stopped ridding after our son was born, so we added a Wrangler in order to enjoy the top down with the whole family. A "TJ" is the sweet spot in my opinion.
Ha, I had a Wrangler that I bought new, custom ordered to my preferences when I met DW about 27 years ago. All she did was gripe about how windy and noisy it was. I finally sold it, bought a Civic, and a little later a Valkyrie that she wouldn't think of riding.

I had finally decided that I like having at least one bike in the garage, regardless. It's my thing, and I feel no regrets about burning vacation time out and about, by myself. The AT just extends the boundaries of where "out and about" leads to.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks and which engine do you have 4 or 6?
I went with a 2005 TJ Rubicon to get the 4.0 inline 6 option with front/rear lockers but the 4's are fine.
The main point when looking at older Wranglers is the frame rust. Many people don't think about the parts they can't see, and these frames will rust literally into pieces.
Note: I only have mine out in the summer and still fluid-film it each fall.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
45 Posts
When I first introduce the idea of buying a motorcycle to my (back then) girlfriend, I prepared a speech of how more environmental friendly, better for the traffic, better on fuel consumption, safe riding techniques, blah blah blah, and she replied "so, when are WE going bike shopping?"
I was surprised she didn't oppose to start with. Then I keep talking about my future bike and that she cold be my pillion , etc, she came back with "I want to go bike shopping with YOU and get a bike for ME as well"... as you can imagine , I have to marry that woman. She got her licence and I mentor her a bit more.
5 years and 5 motorcycles later, many adventures, many trips, many falls on dirt roads and some broken bits (including bike parts or human's) . That answer sealed the best deal.
Oh yes, and she convince me to buy the Africa Twin. I gave her the idea that the ergonomics of my previous V-Strom 650 were causing me lower back pain, so I needed to make many upgrades to the bike. She went all, "you need a bigger bike". I was hmm, I don't know , that is some good money there , she was , "we can afford it". .. BANG!, she bite the bait , now the new bike was her idea (instead of mine). No long after , I bought the bike I wanted !
I think I am very lucky man.

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I first introduce the idea of buying a motorcycle to my (back then) girlfriend, I prepared a speech of how more environmental friendly, better for the traffic, better on fuel consumption, safe riding techniques, blah blah blah, and she replied "so, when are WE going bike shopping?"
..... . BANG!, she bite the bait , now the new bike was her idea (instead of mine). No long after , I bought the bike I wanted !
I think I am very lucky man.
You are role model, m8.... An idol.... Respects!!!! 😄😄😄

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went ahead and listed my '18 ATAS but now need to take a few pictures. Unlike Jonathon Alvarez none of my wives have ever liked motorcycles. I would trade in the current wife but she has many other qualities so I just sell the bike and call it quits after 5 motorcycles. :cry:
It's like an affair. It starts out when your bike says "it's just a bit of fun and we are both adults".. and ends up with "make your mind up...it's me or her"...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts