Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AT-D just arrived.
Many winter projects planned. I live at 4250 ft in the Oregon Cascades surrounded by 5000 ft passes and winter is five months.

Seat height
With a 29" inseam, even the factory low seat had me on high balls, better than toes only.
Soupy's lowering link took off another 1 1/2" but requires their well made adjustable kickstand.
The tops of the fork tubes are waisted just below the top clamps. So, can only slide up about 1".
The centerstand left pivot point was 10 1/2" off the bench with factory suspension setting.
Now it is at 9". So, I also need to shorten the center stand by 1 3/4". An extra 1/4" to make it easier to deploy the stand.
Cut and weld the lower straight tubular legs.

I will also shave a little off the seat shoulders at middle for straighter legs when maneuvering on a side slope.

Bars
While bike is up on my castored bench I will install the SW-Motech bars and Tusk pannier frames. Those are for bodywork protection.
Time to take a test a ride, any day now. Snow forecast tonight.

Then on to electrical.
GPS power - I have run a Garmin Montana for several years and 200k miles; have not found anything better.
Heated jacket power jack doubles as charger point.
Heated grips. Koso Apollo look tidy. I like the integration.
Aux fog/running lights.
Cruise control. I have worked with electronics and could build from components but maybe McCruise at $800 is the easy way.

That is five electrical subsystems to power. So, first fit an Eastern Beaver power block. Until I received the order acknowledgement, I did not realize that comes it from Tokyo! Well, the cruise control will comes from Australia, isn't modern commerce amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
My AT-D just arrived.
Many winter projects planned. I live at 4250 ft in the Oregon Cascades surrounded by 5000 ft passes and winter is five months.

Seat height
With a 29" inseam, even the factory low seat had me on high balls, better than toes only.
Soupy's lowering link took off another 1 1/2" but requires their well made adjustable kickstand.
The tops of the fork tubes are waisted just below the top clamps. So, can only slide up about 1".
The centerstand left pivot point was 10 1/2" off the bench with factory suspension setting.
Now it is at 9". So, I also need to shorten the center stand by 1 3/4". An extra 1/4" to make it easier to deploy the stand.
Cut and weld the lower straight tubular legs.

I will also shave a little off the seat shoulders at middle for straighter legs when maneuvering on a side slope.

Bars
While bike is up on my castored bench I will install the SW-Motech bars and Tusk pannier frames. Those are for bodywork protection.
Time to take a test a ride, any day now. Snow forecast tonight.

Then on to electrical.
GPS power - I have run a Garmin Montana for several years and 200k miles; have not found anything better.
Heated jacket power jack doubles as charger point.
Heated grips. Koso Apollo look tidy. I like the integration.
Aux fog/running lights.
Cruise control. I have worked with electronics and could build from components but maybe McCruise at $800 is the easy way.

That is five electrical subsystems to power. So, first fit an Eastern Beaver power block. Until I received the order acknowledgement, I did not realize that comes it from Tokyo! Well, the cruise control will comes from Australia, isn't modern commerce amazing.
Hi! I am thinking of buying a Garmin Montana 610 for an upcoming offroad trip in Portugal.How does the unit inform you if you go offcourse? Does it beep,talk to you or do you just have to watch the screen? Also when navigating on the road how does it inform you of an upcoming turn? Cheers!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice work stand!
When I ordered my PC-8, it shipped quickly and arrived faster than I thought it would.

I have my PC-8 from Japan, bash guard and rear luggage plate from Australia, Batzen screen adjuster from Germany. It is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re Garmin Montana GPS.
I use the audio when in car because that mount has built in speakers.
But, I have no audio on my bikes.
So, just visually check the track indicator against against the planned route.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ghorgan, I got my AT in Salem in June of 16, and broke it in riding back to Ashland, where in the Cascades are you? Loving my bike, 9500 miles on it. Snow in the Mnt’s now...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Location Klamath Falls.
That is high desert, east of the Cascades. 12" annual rainfall.
When I head east on Highway 140 there are one stop sign and one gas station in 300 miles and largest town is Lakeview, population 2300.
Eastern Oregon and Northern Nevada trails are in my backyard.
I have a Klamath Basin sealed roads winter loop of 250 miles, staying between 4000 and 4800 ft.
Most years in Jan/Feb I look for a ten day weather window before trailing to the Oregon coast and enjoying a run beside the sea from Bandon to Santa Barbara.

Great location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts