Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tempted to put a little narrower bars on the AT. Have you done this? With bars that accept the AT's internal bar weights? Any recommendations?

I'd like the AT to have a narrower profile for easier lane splitting. I could narrow the profile a little just by removing the handguards.

I'm told that the width of the bars can help keep the rest of the bike from getting damaged in a dirt nap. So losing that would be a downside.

I have seen one or two other ATs on the freeways at commute time. They're out there, though not a common bike for freeway commute duty.

This isn't my only bike, so I don't have to commute on it. I guess that's the main reason I haven't done this already.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been tempted to put a little narrower bars on the AT. Have you done this? With bars that accept the AT's internal bar weights? Any recommendations?

I'd like the AT to have a narrower profile for easier lane splitting. I could narrow the profile a little just by removing the handguards.

I'm told that the width of the bars can help keep the rest of the bike from getting damaged in a dirt nap. So losing that would be a downside.

I have seen one or two other ATs on the freeways at commute time. They're out there, though not a common bike for freeway commute duty.

This isn't my only bike, so I don't have to commute on it. I guess that's the main reason I haven't done this already.
I'm interested in doing the same thing for the same reason--lane splitting.

Did the original poster try it? Anyone else?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm interested in doing the same thing for the same reason--lane splitting.

Did the original poster try it? Anyone else?
I did. Renthal Street Fighter Fatbars, a 15mm riser (maybe 25 would be better), and Faast internal bar weights. I already had folding mirrors.

I had to drill the bars to mount the controls, and I made a cut in each OEM handguard for full lock fairing clearance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did. Renthal Street Fighter Fatbars, a 15mm riser (maybe 25 would be better), and Faast internal bar weights. I already had folding mirrors.

I had to drill the bars to mount the controls, and I made a cut in each OEM handguard for full lock fairing clearance.
How much more narrow was the bike after your mods? Currently, mine is about 37" wide with the BarkBuster hand guards and I'm looking to get it down to about 33" (the width of the NC700X which I was looking to buy before the AT but couldn't find any DCT models in my area).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much more narrow was the bike after your mods? Currently, mine is about 37" wide with the BarkBuster hand guards and I'm looking to get it down to about 33" (the width of the NC700X which I was looking to buy before the AT but couldn't find any DCT models in my area).
I checked today: it measures about 32" across at the bars, 35" at the OEM handguards. Still pretty wide, but a lot narrower. And of course removing handguards or using inboard mount only handguards, would narrow things further. I recently gave away my inboard mount handguards to a friend, because I wasn't using them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts