Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a full 35 clicks on the shock for my ATAS still gave me a 42% sag, I decided to ship the shock and forks to Cogent. The forks came out with no problem by following the service manual, but I have just spent over 2 hours trying to get the (#$*^& shock out. No problem removing to bolts and freeing the shock, but no matter what position I place the swingarm, I have been unable to get the shock to drop out as described/pictured in the shop/service manual. And to top it off I somehow hooked a small hose with the adjuster knob and pulled if free from what appears to be the underside of the fuel tank, so we all know what that means. No a great day! So, anyone that has take the shock off have any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It'll only come out one way. Lift swingarm, rotate shock so the rear of it lands in the coolant tank indention with preload adjuster almost vertical and it'll wiggle right out at sort of a angle towards you almost at a horizontal plane. Kind of hard to explain on the internet but the indent in the coolant tank aides the removal as it fits the contour of the back of the shock body when removing it. Key though wheel off, swingarm up high.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ended up pulling the Swingarm, but it is out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got it out pretty easily. Removed the 3 bolts, and twisting as mentioned above, and for me the trick was raising the rear wheel 9" (6 2x4 pieces) and then just raising the bottom of the shock (tipping it over) and it fell out. The preload was screwed all the way in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's actually very easy with one simple tip which is mentioned above. Once all the bolts are removed, support the swing arm with a jack till it's at least level. With a few easy turning it the knob towards the coolant reservoir and it comes out. It does rub a touch but mine fell out after I turned it. . Same way to get it back in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's actually very easy with one simple tip which is mentioned above. Once all the bolts are removed, support the swing arm with a jack till it's at least level. With a few easy turning it the knob towards the coolant reservoir and it comes out. It does rub a touch but mine fell out after I turned it. . Same way to get it back in.
Is there any preload adjustment on the spring itself as some shocks do have. This is a seperate adjustment from the adjustment knob.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's been awhile since I looked but I believe they are both just remote adjustments

Is there any preload adjustment on the spring itself as some shocks do have. This is a seperate adjustment from the adjustment knob.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got it out pretty easily. Removed the 3 bolts, and twisting as mentioned above, and for me the trick was raising the rear wheel 9" (6 2x4 pieces) and then just raising the bottom of the shock (tipping it over) and it fell out. The preload was screwed all the way in.
It's a bit easier if you remove the preload knob.

·
Registered
43 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts