Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really a need for full crash bars like the $700.00 set up from ALTRIDER? It appears to add a lot of weight over the front wheel. IMO good engine crash bars should be enough, together with good quality handguards.
I laid my bike down (gently) in the garage and the upper bodywork does not come close to the ground.
The ALTRIDER frame pictured below look almost like another motorcycle frame!

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I suppose it depends on how often you plan on laying the bike down!
Looks like overkill to me, but it should definitely protect the bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've come off a few times, and I agree - most times your engine bars will do the job. But the one time I lost it on a not too steep camber the upper bars saved me some expensive plastic. I guess it just depends how and where you are going to ride.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the SW-Motech bars, which are "low" bars, and find them more than adequate. Have dropped the bike a couple of times offroad at low speed, trying to do things I had no business doing (wooded single track), and came away with only scratches on the bars. The geometry of the bars is such that it protects the fairing. (image from web - not my bike)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Heed Bunker crash bars which look similar to the Altrider mentioned by OP.
And am glad I fitted them next day I bought the bike. Have a look at the YT clip and pics below.

https://youtu.be/dOcE8pwLndM

Bike itself is all untouched after this off apart from scratched RHS handguard (yes, it didn't brake off). I'm not sure these bars from SW-Motech would have saved my fairing. All depends on the circumstances.

I think I paid £190 for Heeds (including shipping from Poland). So nowhere that expensive like Altrider ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have SWM bars and they provide more than adequate protection for my type of riding. The full lower and upper bar sets like Altrider and Tourtech definitely provide more extensive coverage, but they also add a lot more weight, and add it up high. Personally, I don't want the weight and I definitely don't want it up high.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have Heed Bunker crash bars which look similar to the Altrider mentioned by OP.
And am glad I fitted them next day I bought the bike. Have a look at the YT clip and pics below.

https://youtu.be/dOcE8pwLndM

Bike itself is all untouched after this off apart from scratched RHS handguard (yes, it didn't brake off). I'm not sure these bars from SW-Motech would have saved my fairing. All depends on the circumstances.
Hey Radarman
I've seen a couple of crashes like yours and SWM bars protected the bike well - I teach at an Enduro school and at some point nearly everyone drops their bike trying new skills. I've the SWM bars on my bike and can personally attest to their ability to protect - and I can remove all plastics without removing or loosening the crash bars.

By the way, when you are riding in a rut like in your video, stand up and steer with your feet. Relax, keep your hands light on the bars and clamp your knees to the tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Radarman
I've seen a couple of crashes like yours and SWM bars protected the bike well - I teach at an Enduro school and at some point nearly everyone drops their bike trying new skills. I've the SWM bars on my bike and can personally attest to their ability to protect - and I can remove all plastics without removing or loosening the crash bars.
I'm not sure this particular crash with SW-Motech bars would have seen my top fairings (around Honda logo) untouched. Terrain was uneven (ruts) and as you see top part of the RHS Heed crash bar is badly scratched. Anyway this is just speculation.

Additionally I'm planning to fit spot lights on the bars (somewhere just beside the headlight) and SW-Motech would not give me the possibility to fit them that high.

By the way, when you are riding in a rut like in your video, stand up and steer with your feet. Relax, keep your hands light on the bars and clamp your knees to the tank.
Appreciate your hints. This is still learning (sometimes difficult) curve ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe a little late adding this .02, but for anyone who views this topic for info. I purchased the Happy Trail crash bars for my AT and really like their advantages to my preferences. I didn't want to add a lot of weight to the bike as I will expect to drop it, somewhere and sometime. Recently read an article by Quin Cody where he has come across riders sitting on a trail unable to pick their bikes up. I don't want to be this guy and I look at how some machines are outfitted and wonder how they are ever going to pick that bike up! And if you are going to hit the dirt, you're going to HIT THE DIRT! So I think these provide a fair amount of protection to both fairings and engine cases without an eleborate system and it's weight. And yes, I just got the bike and have a few more things to do before truly dirtworthy. It's a process folks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've dropped my bike three times since I got my ALTRider bars. In 2 places the bike went down with the tank facing mostly downhill. I had to spin my bike around while it was on its side so I could get it in a position to pick it up. Never put a scratch on the bike itself. I did scratch up the bars a bit, but sanding and a quick spray with color-matching Rustoleum and you can hardly notice it. This bike is not that hard to pick up. I'm 57, 5'9" and a smoker, and I did it at 9500' feet in elevation. Good technique really helps, and so do the bars. I am really glad I bought these. They have already paid for themselves. I am hoping my riding gets better so I don't have to do it twice or 3 times in the same day. That would suck. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the crash bars and engine guards. They support each other, I don’t believe the crash cars would be any good now if I didn’t have the engine guards there too. Definitely super rugged which is exactly what I have proven to need this year lol. I went a little lighter with the skid plate and shaved a touratech rallyform to fit. A lithium battery is next to toss out a few pounds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought the Heed bars originally as they were cheap, would protect my bike in case I dropped it. I was after lower bars for the lights. Heed were great value and a full set and they also provided a mounting point for my lights for an extra £60 pounds. Light mounts were so overpriced when I was looking it made more sense to spend a little more and get both. So the Heed didn't fit with my DCT gear shift, so they were sent back at a not so reasonable postage cost of £44! Painful experience. Anyhow, then decided on Givi but their factory didn't have any and had no delivery date. So I got Kappa ones (same factory, little more expensive but look good. But Kappa need uppers and lowers together...so i got both. Not sure if its necessary, but it is what it is ow and I am happy. Servicing with them on is possible as well. So I have bars and light mounts for £300 as opposed to light mounts for £70 and lowers for £150....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on the crush bars for my AT and eventually ended up with SW-Motech ones, seemed like best combination of practicality and price. I do not go off road, I am more concerned about dropping the bike when maneuvering it in and out of garage and in parking lot and for this purpose the SWM seems adequate. The only unwanted aspect of these (and any other) crush bars is the weight, 6.9 kg, I prefer taking the weight off my bike than adding some on...:). However, I do not think the other brands are any lighter...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dropped my AT slow speed in my driveway , hard hit cracked fairing at top corner and broke hand guard mount . Found Heed full bunker crash bars on ebay $ 305 took a month and a half to get be patient they are made in Poland seem strong and look like good coverage do not want anymore damage. and YES THE BIKE IS HEAVY ! Got it up but rest first used leverage of handlebars do not want to do in mud ! Live in East coast USA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts