Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe a little late adding this .02, but for anyone who views this topic for info. I purchased the Happy Trail crash bars for my AT and really like their advantages to my preferences. I didn't want to add a lot of weight to the bike as I will expect to drop it, somewhere and sometime. Recently read an article by Quin Cody where he has come across riders sitting on a trail unable to pick their bikes up. I don't want to be this guy and I look at how some machines are outfitted and wonder how they are ever going to pick that bike up! And if you are going to hit the dirt, you're going to HIT THE DIRT! So I think these provide a fair amount of protection to both fairings and engine cases without an eleborate system and it's weight. And yes, I just got the bike and have a few more things to do before truly dirtworthy. It's a process folks!!!
In South Africa we have two very good manufacturers of crash bars Rockfox & Motorradical. My impression of these is they are well made and strong but again I believed them to add too much weight so I went with the SW Motech to keep the weight down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey,

sorry for digging out this old thread.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my SW-Motech Crashbars. Mostly because of aesthetics.
Question: For some1 who rarely offroads, not more then a fire road really, and just want protection in case of drops out of clumsiness on pavement/roads/in the garage/at traffic lights; wouldnt lower engine guards be enough together with solid handguards?

Talking about something like this:

Skidplate + low engine bars. Add barkbusters/H&B handguards and isnt that enough?

I find the sw-motech crashbars make my bike so bulky:

The skidplate makes for a nice "tanklike" look. I like that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You think it looks bad with bars on, just wait until you drag the paintwork along the ground. If you never plan to get to a place where that could happen, don't worry.

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
Hey,

sorry for digging out this old thread.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my SW-Motech Crashbars. Mostly because of aesthetics.
Question: For some1 who rarely offroads, not more then a fire road really, and just want protection in case of drops out of clumsiness on pavement/roads/in the garage/at traffic lights; wouldnt lower engine guards be enough together with solid handguards?

Talking about something like this:
View attachment 55138
Skidplate + low engine bars. Add barkbusters/H&B handguards and isnt that enough?

I find the sw-motech crashbars make my bike so bulky:
View attachment 55139
The skidplate makes for a nice "tanklike" look. I like that.
For the most part lower guards should work fine on flat tarmac if that’s where it decides to take a “nap” but don’t forget there‘s also things it can fall on, curbs, poles, other vehicles. Even with every crash bar you could possibly fit on the AT that doesn’t mean that it will be 100% protected for EVERY tip over either. There are millions of street bikes out there with out a scratch on them, I don’t see why you would have any issues riding on tarmac and a occasional back road. Your chances are maybe just a tad bit higher than any other road oriented rider...

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
You think it looks bad with bars on, just wait until you drag the paintwork along the ground. If you never plan to get to a place where that could happen, don't worry.
He’s talking a drop/tip over. Your’e talking a crash; and dragging any bike along the ground is gonna mess something up, no matter what kinda protection you have..

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
All wise words AT-D and S-Jack.

Later, if I do much more offroad, I would add the upper [AltRider] assembly.

But as AT-D suggested, I agree lowers might be all I need for 90+/10 (on/off) road use. I normally do not use engine guards and have never "tested" them in some four decades of riding. But the AT is a much more dynamic machine and I am less younger to always be ready when it decides to bump-buck-n-nap (bbnn). So the lower guard should help where it matters. I am not concerned about upper body panel scrapes. The AT is supposed to be a target for scraping (by brush, however).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I just keep the SW-Motechs. Just for the money's sake. Adventure addons are so expensive, its ridicolous : D
Thanks for the infos!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts