Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you go on to protaper or renthal website you will find list of all the bends with proper measurements including height and sweep , so you can choose bend that will suit you , for me its the KTM/Suzuki RM bend now aviable in two heights .

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put on "RC High", but I think they are Fatbar brand. They are about the same height but less sweep.
Mark did you keep the oem handguards or install aftermarket? And is there any clearance issues with the windscreen or fairing? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi i am thinking of the new pro taper adventure evo high....i believe it will drastically improve comfort for long haul BUT the cables may not be long enough... wonder where to get a set of cables for the handlebar overhaul

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can get a pretty good idea of the effects of changing handlebars (and other ergonomic variables) at www.cycle-ergo.com . Add the Africa Twin, plug in your height, inseam and preferred placement on seat and arm straightness -- then select "Vehicle Customization" to see what happens to the rider image when you change handlebar rise and pullback (or sweep). Or those other variables.

The limitation of cycle-ergo site, is that it provides a "showroom" or maybe "highway" image of rider position. In motion, a whole new set of considerations can come into play. So you need to start the process knowing the riding conditions under which you want to improve your position. Still, it's a good place to start before you begin throwing money and time at the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed my oem bar to Pro Taper Contour which has less sweep back. Also added the ROX 2" Adjustable riser. The cables are long enough to accommodate both bar and riser. Only draw back is that the oem hand guards are too big to fit on the pro taper bar. So i had to get a bark buster. But in the end, i was happy with the configuration and my ride is comfy now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same boat. I bought the pro taper contour atv high bend.
Questions I have. What model of bark buster did you use to fit ? I have a set from my xchallenge I will try.
Did you add bar end weights? How is vibration over stock ?
I see that the oem bar has what appears to be a brass insert as well as bar end weights to minimize vibration.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am in the same boat. I bought the pro taper contour atv high bend.
Questions I have. What model of bark buster did you use to fit ? I have a set from my xchallenge I will try.
Did you add bar end weights? How is vibration over stock ?
I see that the oem bar has what appears to be a brass insert as well as bar end weights to minimize vibration.
The service manual says nothing about vibration, but they certainly look like ones that I've seen advertised for anti-vibration like http://www.fasstco.com/products/anti-vibration-inserts?variant=1766565187

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
The OE handlebar is threaded to accommodate this weight system. I'm planning to fit aftermarket Pro Taper Evo High Adventure Handlebars ( approximately 2" higher than stock ) and the question becomes do I thread inside of new handlebar to refit this weight system or do something else ? The OE weight system seems high-quality and I suspect well matched to the bike. I'm also planning to fit Kaoko Throttle lock which offers a couple of models based on OE handlebars or not.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The OE handlebar is threaded to accommodate this weight system. I'm planning to fit aftermarket Pro Taper Evo High Adventure Handlebars ( approximately 2" higher than stock ) and the question becomes do I thread inside of new handlebar to refit this weight system or do something else ? The OE weight system seems high-quality and I suspect well matched to the bike. I'm also planning to fit Kaoko Throttle lock which offers a couple of models based on OE handlebars or not.
Nurber3 - have you fitted the new Pro Taper Evo High Adventure Handlebars yet? I want to get about a 2" rise and was considering new bars instead of risers (since my OEM current bars are already slightly bent). How did there new bars work? Did you fit the anti-vibration end weights? If so, what was involved in getting them fitted. Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nurber3 - have you fitted the new Pro Taper Evo High Adventure Handlebars yet? I want to get about a 2" rise and was considering new bars instead of risers (since my OEM current bars are already slightly bent). How did there new bars work? Did you fit the anti-vibration end weights? If so, what was involved in getting them fitted. Any other comments/suggestions?
I've test fitted the bars. Holding the OE and Evo High bars next to one another with both bar's grip section parallel to the ground it would seem that the Evo bars are about 2" higher with slightly less sweep. To accommodate this difference the DCT parking brake cable and the hydraulic hose to master cylinder will have to be lengthened. I've ordered a new parking brake cable which is on its way to Motion Pro to see about having them make a longer one. The hydraulic hose is more complicated because it is crimped to manifold on frame. Spiegler offers a part (#BLK-EXT) ( see photo ) which is the simplest way, but I'm currently working with somebody to have a manifold made that will also accept hose fitting on right side so that custom hoses ( e.g. stainless ) can easily be fitted. Then there is the issue of Barkbusters. The grip section of Evo High bars is slightly shorter such that Barkbuster Africa Twin kit bars are too long. Simplest solution is to add 10mm spacers at the external bar weights. They also sell 10mm shorter bars (BB.R-BAR-V020-L & BB.R-BAR-V020-R) which can be ordered separately assuming you've bought the AT kit with the bar clamps, etc. This will be a tight fit and without the shorter bars ( due to arrive soon ) I can't yet say it will all fit. Furthermore, Barkbusters does not retain the mechanism for holding internal weights which I think is problematic so I intend to machine a fastener for this as well. Have I talked you out of yet ? Being tall is always so easy. How tall are you ?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nurber3 - Thanks for the detail, and yes, you have pretty much talked me out of it. I am only 6'0" so certainly not an extreme rise needed, but I felt that 2" would make standing a lot more comfortable. I did get the 1" lowering KnightDesign footpegs (a huge improvement over the small OEM pegs), so maybe I will look for a riser in the 1.5" range that should allow me to get some rise without worrying about longer cables. Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts