Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I received my ADV pants yesterday (review to follow shortly) and noticed there weren't any knee armor.

I don't know if this is common in ADV pants but having crashed more than I can count on both hands and feet I won't ride without proper protection. So I need opinions on of the following knee guards. Which one would you recommend? I've limited myself to these brands because I get a heavy discount through my work.

My main concern is whether these knee guards will shift
Let me know what you think.

AXO - TMKP-DH

O'Neal MX - PUMPGUN MX PIVOT KNEE GUARD

One Industries - NITRO KNEE - BLACK

Acerbis - Gorilla Knee/Shin Guard

IMPACT EVO KNEE/SHIN

X-STRONG KNEE

FOX - Launch Pro Knee/Shin Guard

·
Registered
163 Posts
If all you need is a guard I'd get the Axo or One industries. I just have some cheap basic guards that only protect from frontal impacts. The next option in my opinion is to go up to something like the asterisk braces. in between frontal and full knee protection is in my opinion no Better protection than just frontal guards but more $$ better to save for full protection or save and just get guards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nemesis

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally use knee bracers as they stop motion short of extension and have an anti rotation strap. Knee guards are ok for road use but lacking when it comes to off road. Make sure the knee guards you buy prevent extension which the Fox ones look like they don't and the X-Strong look doubtful too. They should also have a strap above and below the knee. I'm not keen on the sock type ones as they crease when sitting and make the backs of the knees sweat. The extended shin guard is a good idea as this can be tucked in the top of your boots giving extra leg protection. From the choice above I would have a good look at the Acerbis - Gorilla Knee/Shin Guard. Hope this helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good if you're a carpet fitter/floor layer :) Leatt make some great stuff but tbh I think there's better ones available for the same money. Look for ones that prevent hyperextension (occurs when the knee joint is forced to extend beyond its normal range of motion). In other words knee guards that lock out when straight.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good if you're a carpet fitter/floor layer :) Leatt make some great stuff but tbh I think there's better ones available for the same money. Look for ones that prevent hyperextension (occurs when the knee joint is forced to extend beyond its normal range of motion). In other words knee guards that lock out when straight.
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts