Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Africa Twin
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wanting to get a spare key or two for my 2017 AT (US) and Ive heard that the US AT's dont have the security chips in the key, which makes getting the key cut an easy task at my local locksmith. Is this true or do I need to take my bike to the dealership to have a key programmed as well?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm fairly sure you are correct. The keys with a chip are only used on bikes that have HISS. (Honda Immobiliser Security System) and this should be obvious as the ignition will have those letters upon it. You will also have a flashing red LED when the ignition is off. If you have neither then you're good to go.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

·
Registered
'17 DCT. Dunlap Missions. Heed crash bars. Honda panniers. GW trunk 4 my gal. BarkBusters
50 Posts
Ha! Good to know. Like a spare set for emergency.
Stuff I discover here is perfect timing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I messed around with the dealer a few times, clueless as mentioned and also local locksmiths who didn't really seem to want to do it or wanted $75 per key, lol. I just happened to be in the local Tru Value and walked by while the guy was finishing cutting a key, showed him the AT key and asked if they had the machine to cut it. He said they did and called it a sidewinder style key. So I brought both keys back the next day and he diligently set up the machine and cut both blanks to perfection, took around 30 minutes. All for $21 and they feel better than the original.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good question, it was pre-pandemic so don't remember but it was one of the online OE parts places and were around $20 each. There are different part numbers for 16-17 and 18+.

2018+ part number is 35121-MGP-A93

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hang on a sec!

So there is no chip in the key?

So what is the HISS system all about then? What has Honda sold us?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts