Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on a thread that I should be putting my 2017 DCT into neutral prior to shutting the bike off. I have rarely done that since I have owned the bike...so am I in the wrong?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Some people do, some don't. My bike is the same as yours and I've hardly ever put it in neutral first. Never had a problem. But it's always been at a standstill, in first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people do, some don't. My bike is the same as yours and I've hardly ever put it in neutral first. Never had a problem. But it's always been at a standstill, in first.
Yeah, that is what I do...when I stop somewhere, the bike has shifted down into first, and I just turn the key off...it's in neutral when I start it again...never had an issue...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well, the DCT "nanny" will post something, soon :)

Honda programmed it to go to Neutral every time you turn the (Takeoff) key; so why bother?
I never did that and I have debunked the 'myth' for 4 years and 72k miles.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I used to leave my bike in drive but would make two points:
1. I once found the bike wouldn't start because of a lowish battery. Not that it wouldn't turn the bike over - it didn't seem to want to drive the cogs into neutral before trying. I'm not sure what practical difference this would have made - would it have started if it had been in neutral? - probably not. But I wasn't even able to push the bike until I had recharged the battery - fortunately the bike was in my own garage at the time.
2. Whenever I come to a standstill I now always put the bike into neutral. This is because before I started doing this I once stopped, in D-mode, turned round to talk to the rider stopped behind me, and inadvertently twisted the throttle with my left hand. The next thing I knew the bike and I were on the floor 10 yards down the road. I often stop in front of my own garage with the engine running, and stand on the pegs to dismount. It's safer to do this with the bike in neutral otherwise there's a chance of me demolishing my garage doors.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
I use neutral often when I dismount, deploy side stand and do something (e.g. open a door) and then return and resume. Nothing profound said.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
247 Posts
I try to remember to remember to switch to neutral for most of the same reasons already stated. The Operators manual recommended doing that as well. I tend to roll the bike around in the garage and driveway without turning the key on, however, I found if I shut it off in D, I could not push it around. The other thing I do following the neutral selection is set the Park Brake before putting down the side stand. I have had Gold Wings roll off the side stand because I shut it off in neutral on a standard transmission. I hate scratching up a motorcycle when I am not having fun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For battery's health better put in neutral before switching engine off, especially if you do a lot of start/stop and short trips; that will save battery energy at the next start as the DCT will have to reposition gears in neutral before allowing engine to start.
Apart from getting stranded somewhere without sufficient battery's energy, it's also recommended considering the newest lithium batteries are pretty expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts