Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new guy to the forum here, looking for info from the group. I've used the search feature and it came back with "no results".... I bought a 2016 six speed today, and have a new ram mount set and the wiring harness for my Garmin 590 and I am ready to install it. My question to the group is has anyone had any experience with the Neutrino black box? I read a little about it and I am intrigued with it, not so impressed with the cost though.... I want to add the gps, a battery tender charging plug, and possible usb ports, this can be driven through the Neutrino. What say you? Any thoughts?

Thanks, Blenderdriver

Tried to add just the web address but I'm too new.....

neutrinoblackbox dot com

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used the fuzeblock for my electronics in my last bike. i was also really intrigued by the neutrino, but ultimately decided that i was not going to have enough electronic accessories installed for the price to be justified.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check them both out, thanks for the replies. I don't run my phone on the dash of my bikes, keep it put away, thinking more and more that the Neutrino isn't for me... Will read more into the other options you guys suggested.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did some research on the two suggestions you guys offered up, I'm leaning towards the fuzeblocks for my bike. Question though, where did you guys run the switch wire? They suggest tail light, any done this yet on the Africa Twin? Haven't dug into this bike yet, wondering how easy it is to access the wiring harness for the tail light..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm not experienced with the electrical stuff and didn't want to use that particular project to learn, so I had it installed professionally. I'm afraid I can't help you, but I can tell you the technician was impressed with the product and thought it a good idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did some research on the two suggestions you guys offered up, I'm leaning towards the fuzeblocks for my bike. Question though, where did you guys run the switch wire? They suggest tail light, any done this yet on the Africa Twin? Haven't dug into this bike yet, wondering how easy it is to access the wiring harness for the tail light..

Have done this on mine. Followed Drago's lead

Red/Yellow - Ignition 12v Switched Live This is what you want to tap into (see Drago’s photo)
How to Install a Posi-Tap connector
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Posi-Tap-Red-20-22-Gauge-0-65mm/dp/B00WODYG4C/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?_encoding=UTF8&m=AEGQKU1I654FR

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what I was looking for, awesome, thanks for the great reply. Like that idea much better than cutting and splicing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For reliability I've always found it is better to hardwire everything

I've hard wired everything on my 2014 XR650L, trying to make it less of a rats nest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not experienced with the electrical stuff and didn't want to use that particular project to learn, so I had it installed professionally. I'm afraid I can't help you, but I can tell you the technician was impressed with the product and thought it a good idea.
I learned a lot wiring accessories to my Tacoma and XR650L, the Tacoma I wired stuff through a Blue Sea fuse box, that was powered by the battery protected by an inline marine grade Blue Sea circuit breaker. The XR, was just a free for all to the battery with in line fuses. XR has Garmin 590 harness, Trail Tech LED lights, and a battery tender plug.... YouTube, Tacoma World forum, and advrider.com have been good to me....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done. Not very hard. Green wire runs to the unused plug under the passenger seat via a posi-tap. Bottom of the fuzeblock is covered with Velcro.

Attachments

Reactions: crstep

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've decided I'm going to tackle the wiring stuff myself this time. It's a useful skill I need to add to my repertoire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've decided I'm going to tackle the wiring stuff myself this time. It's a useful skill I need to add to my repertoire.
I was slightly intimidated when I first started wiring my truck and XR, YouTube videos over and over, I would read and reread the how to threads and study the pics. This time around wasn't bad at all. Just went slow and double checked my wiring before powering the fuzeblock...

Reactions: crstep

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey all, new guy to the forum here, looking for info from the group. I've used the search feature and it came back with "no results".... I bought a 2016 six speed today, and have a new ram mount set and the wiring harness for my Garmin 590 and I am ready to install it. My question to the group is has anyone had any experience with the Neutrino black box? I read a little about it and I am intrigued with it, not so impressed with the cost though.... I want to add the gps, a battery tender charging plug, and possible usb ports, this can be driven through the Neutrino. What say you? Any thoughts?
Did you ever install a Neutrino? I just did the install yesterday (replacing a PC8) and it went smoothly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts