Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

First, I just want to start off and say that I am very experienced on two wheels-that is why these issues I am going to describe seriously baffle me.

My brand new AT has been having niggling issues that are seriously chapping my new motorcycle experience.

It is completely brand new, now, not even 600mi on it-I've owned it since mile 1.

-The very first ride home, it backfired really hard and coughed through the intake while exiting a toll booth. This was after 40 miles on the highway. I was light on throttle during acceleration. I attributed that instance to the ECM learning or something.

-It consistently coughs through the intake or backfires once or twice at some point on any ride I take. I just don't know what the **** is going on.

-I have had 4th to 5th shifts seem to false neutral and show ( -- ) on the gear indicator. The gearbox chatters like its between gears. I just don't get it. I am very deliberate with my shifting and like to make sure I change gears in a very positive and deliberate way. I don't understand why it does this.

-Today. I was riding with my bike on the back cruising only around 35mph for a couple miles straight. The bike popped and flat-out stalled while riding. I pulled in the clutch and restarted it. That could have been VERY dangerous. On the ride home, it popped through the intake. There was very light engine load during any even I have experienced. Its almost as if there is a gap in the fuel mapping or some sort of bad memory where a specific circumstance should be read and accounted for but the ECM can't-or something.

I wrote to Honda CS about the issues I am having and all they did was send me a survey ending the conversation. They didn't even reply to my issues or acknowledge anything. Also, I don't feel comfortable dropping the bike off to the dealership I got it from.

Does anyone else have any idea as to what could be contributing to my issues? I even disconnected the battery to reset the ECM and the issues persist.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what I can check or should do??

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts

-The very first ride home, it backfired really hard and coughed through the intake while exiting a toll booth. This was after 40 miles on the highway. I was light on throttle during acceleration. I attributed that instance to the ECM learning or something.
Sounds like from the start the dealership didn't perform a proper set-up and inspection for you. I would have turned right around and back to the dealership and have them make adjustments/corrections - and they would have.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Two things are kind of common:

1. Dealer fails to tighten battery connections or ground connection to the frame:
2. 2017 battery gets weak enough from sitting around to not power system adequately, cause issues with fuel/ignition (and DCT if that sort.)

I have experienced both with my new 2017; all were cured with a new battery that I installed myself.

Honda will warranty the battery, but you have to take the bike back to them (not just the battery) and push kinda hard.

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said the batteries are delivered to them dry. Then they need to fill and charge them as part of the prep. Could a battery that's been sitting NOT filled be the culprit??

There are no other indications of a weak or issue with the battery at all. And when it died at speed, the gauges were still illuminated and the idiot lights lit up. I'm not sure that a battery is the case. I will remove it and double-check the main connections to the frame and wherever else it goes.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
Aside from the battery perhaps sitting around for near 3 years, what about the bike itself? Was it crated until you bought it? Or was it perhaps uncrated and sat with fuel in it for extended time?

I wonder if fuel could have sat for a long time I the system and perhaps running a few tanks with Seafoam, Techron or the likes might help.

As far as the battery, even if dry, I believe the plates can still sulfate with exposure to oxygen.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was delivered from the Honda warehouse. Crated. No fuel. Like any brand new bike. They told me these were not sitting around on a showroom anywhere but distributed by Honda directly, recently. I don't know more than that.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
It was delivered from the Honda warehouse. Crated. No fuel. Like any brand new bike. They told me these were not sitting around on a showroom anywhere but distributed by Honda directly, recently. I don't know more than that.
Hopefully true. I have seen some old stock models in dealerships that have just been on the floor, but they ussually have at least a few miles on them, from a test ride or two.

Still, sitting batteries still have a shelf life, much like an unmounted tire. It's something to consider at least.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There appears to be quite a few dealerships receiving new previous year's stock from such Honda "warehouse" distribution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valid point, especially about tires. I will look into sourcing my own battery and see if that fixes my issue. I really don't like the dealership experience. The one I picked this up from is too far away from me to want to go back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious, it looks like my battery is AGM and rests on it's side in the battery compartment.

Do those type get filled by the end user? Any AGM I've purchased in the past has been factory filled.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
Valid point, especially about tires. I will look into sourcing my own battery and see if that fixes my issue. I really don't like the dealership experience. The one I picked this up from is too far away from me to want to go back.
Gotcha. Though any dealer should be able to test it and it if fails, cover it under warranty since the bike is new? I would hate to see you have to spend the money on a battery and find out it didn't solve the issue.

The battery is just one possibility and they do have a finite shelf life, but I think if never filled, it should last much longer than 3 years.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
I'm curious, it looks like my battery is AGM and rests on it's side in the battery compartment.

Do those type get filled by the end user? Any AGM I've purchased in the past has been factory filled.
That depends. Yuasa for example says that their batteries leave the factory already activated or bottle included depending on the model. Bottle included batteries come with electrolyte included in a stored container that has to be added.

Yuasa says "AGM dry batteries have a shelf life of 5 years from the manufacturer as long as they remain sealed."

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
The Yuasa YTZ14S, the factory battery, is a factory filled and sealed AGM battery. I'm going to pull it tomorrow. It had better be new.
It appears you are correct. The YTZ14s does appear to be a factory activated battery, not a bottle included model. Those have a shelf life of about 3 years +/- used or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called my dealership and spoke with the service dept. They said that its possible the AGM battery was original with the bike and is 3 years old. They said they test it and only use it if it passes. I told them that it really doesn't make sense to send out a 3 year old battery. He agreed with me and said the impetus to replace it must come from the sales department since they would need to purchase it for my bike.

This is all very annoying.

Service said they haven't heard of any issue like mine at all. They said they would take my bike and try and fit my service in as soon as they can but suggested I find a dealership closer to my house since a ride home or a loaner bike isn't provided. So that screws me.

I called a dealership rather close to me and shared my experience. They said they can schedule me in for service but they are booked out to the end of September. I might as well wait for them to schedule me since I don't like the idea of tying up my resources and family to get my bike to the dealership I bought it from 100 miles from me.

I am going to contact my sales person directly about the replacement battery issue. I was told he was not in when I called to speak with him. I would like a new battery-regardless if this is the root issue or not. I specifically ASKED for one before I took ownership... what he told me turned out to not be accurate.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
I would try contacting Honda America directly as well. A battery replacement takes all of 10 minutes. They should be able to get you in and out before you can finish a cup of coffee in the lobby. Heck if it that big an issue to schedule a battery change, tell them you would gladly just pick it up and install it yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got off the phone with my dealership and said that I want a new battery regardless of whether that is my issue. I had asked specifically for a new battery before delivery and was given some bullshit runaround about them being dry yadda yadda.

The sales rep will ask their GM tomorrow when they are in about mailing me one to replace mine with. In the meantime, I will take mine out, bench test it with a load tester and check the leads.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts