Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Please check filter by the fuel pump
Is the issue with it not being waterproof? I thought the issue was with it arching and causing carbon buildup. At least that is what I believe @AT-Dragon was explaining to me.

Either way, it shouldn't be happening and the result is the same :(

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Valid point, especially about tires. I will look into sourcing my own battery and see if that fixes my issue. I really don't like the dealership experience. The one I picked this up from is too far away from me to want to go back.
I had a not-so-hot experience with my dealership with my new 2019 AT as well. They are 500 miles from me. Luckily, I've had few issues, other than your false neutral issue, that I too experience. Only thing that cures it, is to be very aware and consciously "preload" the shift for each gear, a lesson that has proven to be very, very useful (MCrider/online).

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm wondering if the false neutral could be remedied by rotating the shifter down one notch, seems it's a little high fory normal position.

Haven't experienced the false neutral, just sharing a thought that comes toy when I upshift.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I'm wondering if the false neutral could be remedied by rotating the shifter down one notch, seems it's a little high fory normal position.

Haven't experienced the false neutral, just sharing a thought that comes toy when I upshift.
KTM 690 Enduro had an issue with that. The solution in that case was a 3rd party (Factory Pro) upgraded detent arm shift kit. It should be solvable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did drop my bike early on, on the shifter side. It might have gotten bent/juggled slightly, causing the false gears. I don't remember the issue before that. It looks fine, but I've thought about getting the outside shift mechanisms "adjusted".

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I did drop my bike early on, on the shifter side. It might have gotten bent/juggled slightly, causing the false gears. I don't remember the issue before that. It looks fine, but I've thought about getting the outside shift mechanisms "adjusted".
It's worth a look. It doesn't need to be off by much to cause a little grief.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Is that something my local Honda mechanic Should do, meaning, would you do it yourself, or take it in?
I would have it looked at if it is consistently between the same two gears or persistently happening. Particularly if it isn't just false neutrals, but also jumping back out of gear. If you as are certain it is mechanical and not just user error due go not following through the complete travel of the shift, etc.

If you believe it is something that just started up following a drop, they may want to check the shift linkage, check for damaged gear dogs, bent shift fork, etc.

If I was sure it was not just be making lazy shifts, and believe me I have been guilty of doing that, I would have it looked at.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would have it looked at if it is consistently between the same two gears or persistently happening. Particularly if it isn't just false neutrals, but also jumping back out of gear. If you as are certain it is mechanical and not just user error due go not following through the complete travel of the shift, etc.
Thank you so much for taking the time to expand on your PA. I have been working hard to be mindful of my preloading of gears ,I wear quality ankle high leather books with stiff toes. It's hard to be on top of it all the time, but I try.

I hit neutral between 1/2 most long riding days, and that is the gear change I watch the MOST. Then, it can happen between 3/4, 4/5 as well.

Downshifting too, often it doesn't want to go from 5 to 4, I press my foot solidly, often lifting up off the footpeg, and raising my foot up off the shifter between each down-click, and I HEAR the click (though it might feel funny) from 5 to 4, and I'm counting gears down (but not always watching the LED), then after I count down to 2, I'll look to see, and notice I'm still in 3. I usually reserve down shifting to 1 until I'm almost stopped.

Yesterday I rode specifically to watch the shifts. No issues for 35 miles, then a missed 2nd, followed by the missed downshift 5 to 4, then by a 3/4 up-shift (or 4/5...sr. moment).

If you believe it is something that just started up following a drop, they may want to check the shift linkage, check for damaged gear dogs, bent shift fork, etc.

If I was sure it was not just be making lazy shifts, and believe me I have been guilty of doing that, I would have it looked at.
I DO believe that is the case, could be wrong, bike was only 3 wks old at the time, I recall no issues, but maybe I was always trying harder...then got lazy. But I noticed it alot right after. But it seemed to come and go.

I have no clue how to attack the linkage to see it that's the issue, but I'll look around for videos when I get some time.

Thanks again for your trouble!

Pete

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to expand on your PA. I have been working hard to be mindful of my preloading of gears ,I wear quality ankle high leather books with stiff toes. It's hard to be on top of it all the time, but I try.

I hit neutral between 1/2 most long riding days, and that is the gear change I watch the MOST. Then, it can happen between 3/4, 4/5 as well.

Downshifting too, often it doesn't want to go from 5 to 4, I press my foot solidly, often lifting up off the footpeg, and raising my foot up off the shifter between each down-click, and I HEAR the click (though it might feel funny) from 5 to 4, and I'm counting gears down (but not always watching the LED), then after I count down to 2, I'll look to see, and notice I'm still in 3. I usually reserve down shifting to 1 until I'm almost stopped.

Yesterday I rode specifically to watch the shifts. No issues for 35 miles, then a missed 2nd, followed by the missed downshift 5 to 4, then by a 3/4 up-shift (or 4/5...sr. moment).

I DO believe that is the case, could be wrong, bike was only 3 wks old at the time, I recall no issues, but maybe I was always trying harder...then got lazy. But I noticed it alot right after. But it seemed to come and go.

I have no clue how to attack the linkage to see it that's the issue, but I'll look around for videos when I get some time.

Thanks again for your trouble!

Pete
I think when I get lazy it is usually with the clutch rather than the foot, but maybe sometimes both. But that kind of thing never has any sort of consistency.

I owned a Triumph Tiger Explorer that used to exhibit systems similar to what you describe. It wasn't dropped, it was having troubles right out of the gate. Triumph determined that there was an alignment issue with the shift forks from the factory that was the cause and clutch rebuild under warranty.

How far is the dealer from you? Have you had them test ride it? If so are they able to repeat it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think when I get lazy it is usually with the clutch rather than the foot, but maybe sometimes both. But that kind of thing never has any sort of consistency.

I owned a Triumph Tiger Explorer that used to exhibit systems similar to what you describe. It wasn't dropped, it was having troubles right out of the gate. Triumph determined that there was an alignment issue with the shift forks from the factory that was the cause and clutch rebuild under warranty.

How far is the dealer from you? Have you had them test ride it? If so are they able to repeat it.

My dealer is. 472 miles away! I asked my local Honda dealer if he would provide “warranty service” to my bike, before I bought it, as he couldn’t get me a 2019 black one, for the price I was getting on it. I’ll ask him if he will look at it for me, using your info. Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
My dealer is. 472 miles away! I asked my local Honda dealer if he would provide “warranty service” to my bike, before I bought it, as he couldn’t get me a 2019 black one, for the price I was getting on it. I’ll ask him if he will look at it for me, using your info. Thanks!
Sure, warranty services should be through any Honda dealer should it not?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I haven't heard squat from my dealer about the replacement battery, yet. First they're going to send one, then they say they need to test it to determine if it's bad (but I requested a new one as a part of our agreement prior to signing for it), then they say they need to run it by some manager or whatever, then radio silence. I'll call them tomorrow. I'm generally rather patient but I'm pretty pissed off.

Rode about 130mi today. I think I can almost predict when it will backfire or cough.

It happens most on a blip and downshift under light load. Did it about 4 times today.

No stalling, thankfully.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
I haven't heard squat from my dealer about the replacement battery, yet. First they're going to send one, then they say they need to test it to determine if it's bad (but I requested a new one as a part of our agreement prior to signing for it), then they say they need to run it by some manager or whatever, then radio silence. I'll call them tomorrow. I'm generally rather patient but I'm pretty pissed off.

Rode about 130mi today. I think I can almost predict when it will backfire or cough.

It happens most on a blip and downshift under light load. Did it about 4 times today.

No stalling, thankfully.
Yeah, "radio silence" is worse than saying, " ... you know? I screwed up. I can't keep the commitment. However, this is what I am going to try to do ... ".

Hopefully the situation turns out to be better than expected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This is honestly upsetting me. Sorry. I'm just going to stream on conscious on this post. May or not make sense.

I called them and requested to speak with the store manager. The salesperson I bought the bike from picked up my incoming call and talked at me like we had some sort of understanding that I need to bring the battery into the dealership to be tested in order for them to replace it. I know thats his way of circumstancially dismissing my concerns.

Again, I explained to the sales person that I didn't want a 3 year old battery in my bike BEFORE I even bought the bike. That I wanted a fresh, new battery from the start. He told when I first came in to talk business that they aren't filled until delivery-which I accepted and knew to be true for most conventional filled lead acid types. But this is not such a battery. I didn't KNOW what type of battery this bike should have had. I trusted the salesperson.

I don't know what is so unreasonable about wanting a new bike to have a new battery. Before I've ever sold a bike privately, I made sure the battery was less than a year old. I'm not a jackass and wouldn't pull something over on someone. Cars, too.

Batteries are fricken vital. I've had them fail without warning on me before. I want and deserve the peace of mind.

If I am to take this thing anywhere and it just drops a cell because of age I am f***ed and that's just not fair to me.

I got through to the store manager. I know this sales person briefed him ahead of time about how I'm some whiny customer or something. They keep me on speaker every time I call in, now. IDGAF.

He fed me some crap about how that's why the bike is so cheap, its not really a "new new" bike, that the battery is fine, and that I am the only person in his 25 years to raise a stink like this over an old battery.

He relented and said he would exchange it for a new one, can't ship it, but requires me to give it back in person so he can turn around and put the old battery into a used bike to sell on the floor.

I've never figured a large seemingly reputable dealership would purposefully put a 3 year old battery into a bike to sell to someone. He says its because "The battery is fine." That alone leads me to realize they just don't sympathize or give a **** about my concern.

They probably think I'm just some uptight prick raising a stink just to do it. I'm not. I'm reasonable and take people at their word. I also understand that maintenance items have a shelf life. Tires, batteries, coolant, hoses, etc - some even say oil-all have a shelf life.

I'm not just some crazy person. I only raising a stink about this battery because I value the peace of mind in knowing its current, reliable, and can expect more than a season out of it. I know what sulfation is. I'm not stupid. I feel like I have to DEFEND myself over this and thats just not OK with me-doesn't sit right. The Yuasa rep even TOLD me 3 years is THE LIMIT on this battery's shelf life IF it was topped off, desulfated, and maintained properly and that "They shouldn't deliver new equipment with such an old battery". Yuasa even has their own labels and system to keep track of their inventoried batteries and when they are topped off prior to distribution.

Like I really WANT to drive a hundred miles over this crap to exchange it. It should have been done before I took ownership.

I maintain my machines and agricultural equipment like clockwork. I follow service intervals like gospel. I PM everything. I replace batteries before they go bad. I guess I'm some kind of monster.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I would call American Honda and raise my concerns about both the battery and the dealership to them. I can't imagine that this is the kind of dealer/owner experience they would want their customers to have. Replacing a battery is nothing for Honda and I am sure they can reach out to that dealership (or another in your area) and grant a "good will" warranty replacement. It shouldn't be that hard. The battery retails about $75, but I would bet the dealerships don't pay near that and Honda could easily reimburse them whatever it does cost.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Seems to be some basic goodwill missing with the vendor. Maybe it is a case of they don't expect to see the purchaser come back for repeat business because they live so far from the dealership. Still not good business, but this is often heard.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts