Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 50+ years of riding all sizes and shapes I think this recent purchase should be one of my final motorcycles. Always a fan of dual sports I replaced my Super Tenere (and WR250R) with the Africa Twin. As I approach the big 70 I wanted to continue the dual sport / adventure riding and my hope is this bike will allow me to continue some light to moderate off pavement exploring while still giving me good highway capabilities. It's lighter and should be easier to handle in all conditions. The Tenere was quite capable on the highway and did most of what I needed in the dirt. But the AT will do a bit more in the dirt and should give me more confidence with age. At least that's the thought. Looking forward to the insights of the forum members.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the fact that you've kept up your off-road skills as you aged, instead of letting them atrophy (as I did at your age) should make the DCT AT a very good choice. As you know, off road, "weight is the enemy" and since the AT shaves almost 50 pounds off the SuperT that's a step in the right direction. As you will soon learn, the automatic gear selection offered by DCT will give you more time to respond to other stimuli that need your attention; a benefit you didn't need a few years ago. Something you might not be aware of as a new owner, Honda offers an accessory foot shift kit for the AT (list price is $300 - look around for a better price, part number 08U70-MJP-A80) that allows your foot "muscle memory" to control the shifts without giving up either automatic or paddle shift capability.

The only downside to your recent acquisition is that the mid-size Adventure class is on track to get very competitive with KTM and BMW introducing 800/900 cc ADV models this year and Yamaha might bring in their T7 (mini Tenere). Still, none of those will have DCT and that might make all the difference for you at age 70. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s good to see the manufacturers are recognizing the demand for a more agile adventure bike is strong. I’m sure the manufacturers mentioned will ultimately provide capable machines and improve the competition.

One reason I went with Honda is the availability of service and parts. The smaller Yamaha might be another prospect. With time not on my side I hope the AT will give keep me in the game for a long time to come. As an avid mountain bike rider I definitely hope to keep my cycling skills as long as possible. Both human and machine powered. “Live to ride” as they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just like you, however, I'm 74. I have a Africa twin DTC. I just love it! I have ridden a lot of gravel & dirt. ( forrest roads) I also have a WR 250r. Unlike you I chose to keep it. Guess what? I haven't ridden it since May 2016. I put Shinko 804 & 805 on the Africa Twin. I have been really happy with them on both pavement & dirt. Good luck, I know you will love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the two previous responses I get the sense there's a lot of us (older riders) out there. It's in your DNA. Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts.

I must admit the WR was a fairly easy bike to let go of. Several reasons including the fixed costs of two bikes (actually 3 but I don't consider my CT70 expendable-it's too much fun and a real chick magnet). Also, the WR just didn't get the use it deserves and my wife has been bugging me to downsize my toys so it actually helped me negotiate/justify the AT.

Finally, in retrospect, the WR seemed so light (like my mountain bike), which was nice, but I think I enjoy the power and torque of the 400/450 cc a bit more. I thought the 250 cc would be fine but I admit I missed the larger 400cc+ engines. The Husky 450/500 is very appealing. But wait, I should not be getting distracted thinking about another bike, I promised my wife I will be happy with this one bike so I suspect I may be letting go of the dual sports for good and I think I'm okay with that.

As I transitioned to adventure bikes I realized it opened up a whole new kind of fun exploring far away destinations with just the motorcycle (and some camping equipment). Camping opened up new challenges and options as well. The "Allstays" campground finding app also made camping easier to plan on the run. Fun stuff.

One other thing, I'm pretty good about not crashing but I recognize that the risks are greater with age. A crash is likely to be more damaging to the older body and take longer to recover from. So transitioning to a conservative adventure riding style should have long term benefits (just watch out for wildlife on the highway). Plus, let's face it, crashes really hurt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First real ride report.

The bike is smooth and has plenty of power.
The DCT is great (may never go back!) and I experimented with various modes.
The S3 mode provides a more familiar shifting point.
The D mode seems to shift too soon and would have been considered lugging in the past. However the computer is certainly not going to shift at an inappropriate speed.

I went about 140 miles and only one issue. In S mode after quick breaking for an highway hazard it would not shift out of second gear. Simply changed to D mode and back to S and all was fine. S2 mode is also nice but need more experience with it.

The seat got uncomfortable after an hour or so. Also I need a throttle friction lock and cruise pegs. But all that was to be expected. Each new bike needs some personalizing.

The windshield will eventually need improvement but the Kaoko throttle lock is a priority. Really like the Kaoko from past experience.
My knees hurt towards the end of the 3 hour ride so I'm hopeful the new crash bars I ordered (Altrider) will accommodate some cruiser pegs.

In spite of what might seem like several complaints I am very very happy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts