Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I still favor the base manual model with all its upgrades, but where is the the cruise control? With ride-by-wire throttle it should be easy to implement...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Some interesting technology upgrades and a bit of suspension work. I'm pretty happy with mine. The larger tank would be nice to have an extra 75-100 kilometres but to be honest it hasn't been a show-stopper for me so far.
Like the new paint scheme and the bash plate. Great new revisions to an already fantastic bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
LEDS..... I want. Haha
I wonder how much extra this is going to be?
I like the front wind deflectors in the picture, would also love the extra fuel capacity
My Africa drinks premium like my wife drinks wine... under 30mpg avg running 80-85 mph

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
did you notice that both models will have stainless steel spokes? I have had replacement wheels fitted under warranty, supposedly with the dual plated spokes and yet 2500 miles later they are gone again (or rather some are gone and some are ok)
Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wondering about the handling with that bigger tank - more weight higher up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That will only be an issue when the tank is full. At anything 5 gallons or less they will be about the same. I really want the larger tank, but I don't like the 2" higher seat height of the sport model. I already would use the low seat position of the current model. I just want the base model with the large tank - is this too much to ask?:confused:

I also don't understand the lack of a cruise control. Hopefully, at some point this will be available as at least an option. The new throttle by wire feature will make it so that you can't even do an aftermarket cruise control. (the mccruise will not work!)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I wonder if Honda feel that cruise controls on motorcycles are an american lawsuit waiting to happen? (I know there are a couple of bikes they have put them on).
Motosickle20 - what's your inside leg? Mine is 31 inches and I assumed I would have to use the low seat position, but not so. I can just get both heels flat on the ground. It's a major plus 'cos on mine getting the seat on and off in the low position is a nightmare.
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen the vids, and while the improvements are not bad, I am not impressed: I don't need 7 rider modes, or another 25 lbs, mostly up high, on an already heavy bike, or a higher seat, or a centimeter of extra suspension travel. The extra fuel would be useful, but all of that weight up high, including the enhanced upper engine guards, will only harm the offroad handling by raising the center of gravity. Ride by wire, but no cruise control?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quite happy with mine - if I need extra fuel then I carry a jerry can, and it’s cheaper!
I’ve dropped my forks down and I have to say «*what a difference!!*» - braking, handling etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wonder if Honda feel that cruise controls on motorcycles are an american lawsuit waiting to happen? (I know there are a couple of bikes they have put them on).
Motosickle20 - what's your inside leg? Mine is 31 inches and I assumed I would have to use the low seat position, but not so. I can just get both heels flat on the ground. It's a major plus 'cos on mine getting the seat on and off in the low position is a nightmare.
Mike
My inseam is about the same. I normally would not be concerned, but with 2" more seat height and a bike that is over 500lb, it can sometimes be a problem with slow maneuvering. I just want a base version bike with the larger tank.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My inseam is about the same. I normally would not be concerned, but with 2" more seat height and a bike that is over 500lb, it can sometimes be a problem with slow maneuvering. I just want a base version bike with the larger tank.
The Camel Tank specially designed for the AT may suit you then, comprehensive install video on you tube.

Reactions: cehanska

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only items I care about are the improved spokes and Li-Ion Battery.

The sport model has a bigger tank, longer travel suspension and a way taller seat. I wouldn't mind the fuel range but the taller seat would be a deal killer. I also don't need .8" increase in suspension travel. The side windscreen pieces ruin the looks of the front of the bike and I have already fitted a taller windscreen. Multiple ride modes won't get used by me but I am surprised my bike is not ride by wire. But since I never noticed it one way or the other I guess I don't care. The Honda 12 volt outlet doesn't pull enough amps to be really useful and the fuse is so hard to get to I wouldn't chance blowing it in the first place. I have a USB/Volt meter in the Honda location and mounted a battery tender type of power lead under the seat for heated gear. I also think the color combination is Garish to say the least. The bigger bash plate may be nice but it would interfere with the crash bars I have already mounted.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...-africa-twin-sports-first-look-21-fast-facts/

Nice upgrades but if I can add the Li-Ion batter to my bike that will be good enough.

Regarding the corrosion on the spokes, does anyone have an idea why it only affects some bikes? I'll never take the bike through salt water and can coat them with WD-40 or ACF-50 once in a while if that will help but it does seem this issue is hit or miss to some extent. I think a wheel collapsing from corrosion is a huge potential lawsuit.

NC

·
Registered
12 Posts
...anyone hear if this is the only color option available? I really need to find out very soon as I'm preparing for a late Spring trip... I was holding out to buy the first 2018 AT that hit Oregon but I'm not riding a red, white, and blue bike....
I'm a patriot but I want a more "normal" color of bike....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts