Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nomad Fuel Tanks have released a new 8.5L tank for the AT that replaces the rear seat. It enables you to quickly replace the seat with a tank then put the seat back on when you don't want the extra range, there are three bolts to undo to swap out the tank and two quick break fuel line connectors. All seems to work very well.
https://www.nomadtanks.com.au/product/tank-no-12-8-5-litres/
With the RR rear carrier I have installed I could have packed it up in height slightly to clear the new tank or trimmed the edge where they meet, I trimmed the edge. I used to run a 6L Acerbis tank on the rear carrier and a 5L fuel bladder, this new setup should cover me most of the time and will only need to break out the bladder on longer sections.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
For someone like me who never carries a pillion, that's an ingenious item. Also for the rider who goes way out into the great yonder! That's nearly half a tank for the standard Africa Twin! Thanks for sharing SkipD!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nomad Fuel Tanks have released a new 8.5L tank for the AT that replaces the rear seat. It enables you to quickly replace the seat with a tank then put the seat back on when you don't want the extra range, there are three bolts to undo to swap out the tank and two quick break fuel line connectors. All seems to work very well.
https://www.nomadtanks.com.au/product/tank-no-12-8-5-litres/
With the RR rear carrier I have installed I could have packed it up in height slightly to clear the new tank or trimmed the edge where they meet, I trimmed the edge. I used to run a 6L Acerbis tank on the rear carrier and a 5L fuel bladder, this new setup should cover me most of the time and will only need to break out the bladder on longer sections.
How does your wife like that extra gas tank?

·
Registered
119 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Camel products but his tank does not fit with my racks and luggage. The Nomad tank does provide a very good luggage area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great idea and will suit some riders for sure.
As an alternative, you could fit a Camel tank which adds 7ltrs (It says 6.5ltrs in the information but I have physically added 7ltrs when refilling) and keep the rear seat free for your partner or luggage. Or add both and never look back :)

That looks like the chain guard will smash into it the first time you hit a bump. Is it hollowed out in the middle to provide clearance?

·
Registered
119 Posts
That looks like the chain guard will smash into it the first time you hit a bump. Is it hollowed out in the middle to provide clearance?
The installation instructions call for cutting some length off the chain guard anyway. I did that and when I had the mono shock out, to upgrade the suspension to HyperPro springs, I jacked the swinging arm up to the limit of expected travel. It didn't clash, so it seems I cut enough off in the first instance. The tank is shaped to accommodate the rest of the chain guard, so no clashes elsewhere.

I weigh 93kgs. I've toured with the bike fully loaded and no clearance issues with the tank.

There are quite a few of these tanks now installed on AT's. I've not heard reports of people having clearance problems, but if you have any questions get in touch with Corey, at Camel ADV in Calgary, and ask. He's pretty helpful.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts