Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda is following up on the popularity of the DCT Foot Shifter by offering a Kickstarter Kit for all 2020+ Africa Twin CRF1100 models.

“We recognize that with the motorcycle market becoming increasingly technology-driven, that there is still a desire for nostalgia among our customer base and we felt we could deliver this to them,” said Honda’s Ken Jeong. Jeong acknowledged that historically the Africa Twin models have never had a kick start but went on to say "We felt the timing was right and the technology existed to offer this option to our customers."

The new Honda Kickstarter Kit will add a configurable menu to the available user options in settings. User-selectable levels may be set between L1 and L5. L1 will allow the bike to be started on the first try or two, while L5 will require 5 or more attempts to start the bike using the kick starter.

“We felt that the inclusion of the configuration menu would allow our customers to set their own degree of realism for the kick starter accessory,” said Jeong.

The Honda Kickstarter Kit for the 2020+ Africa Twin will be available for pre-order beginning April 20th.

·
Registered
561 Posts
... I really miss the soul associated with the kick starter.
There have been so many times in the past where a kick starter was appreciated on early spring and late fall starts. Between cold engine oil and cold battery capacity the electrical system did not have the capacity for both starter motor and ignition at the same time. The kick starter would always have the bike running with one or two attempts. Mentioned that to a 22 year old rider not too long ago and was surprised to hear him state it is not possible to kick start anything larger than maybe 400cc. Obviously he never came into contact with a pre '70s Brit bike or Harley.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honda is following up on the popularity of the DCT Foot Shifter by offering a Kickstarter Kit for all 2020+ Africa Twin CRF1100 models.

“We recognize that with the motorcycle market becoming increasingly technology-driven, that there is still a desire for nostalgia among our customer base and we felt we could deliver this to them,” said Honda’s Ken Jeong. Jeong acknowledged that historically the Africa Twin models have never had a kick start but went on to say "We felt the timing was right and the technology existed to offer this option to our customers."

The new Honda Kickstarter Kit will add a configurable menu to the available user options in settings. User-selectable levels may be set between L1 and L5. L1 will allow the bike to be started on the first try or two, while L5 will require 5 or more attempts to start the bike using the kick starter.

“We felt that the inclusion of the configuration menu would allow our customers to set their own degree of realism for the kick starter accessory,” said Jeong.

The Honda Kickstarter Kit for the 2020+ Africa Twin will be available for pre-order beginning April 20th.

View attachment 61711
Will it have an anti theft setting where the splines shear and you smash your shin on the foot peg 😱

·
Registered
2021 African Twin, Adventure Sports ES, DCT
35 Posts
Last time I used a kick starter was on a 1969 Yamaha 360. The compression release was broken, so you had to watch out for a kick back. We had to tow the bike behind a truck to get it started when I bought it. ~1975-76 when I was in High school.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
208 Posts
I know this is late, but I have a 1975 GL1000 out in the garage with a detachable kick start lever under the false cover.
My wife and I just had a good laugh while I was reading the discussion starter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts