Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2018 CRF1000L (or CRF1000AJ - the model-naming scheme Honda uses is confusing) from a gent on this site. At 6'6", I needed a taller bike than the 2008 V-Strom DL650 I was riding and I wanted a bike that has more off-road capability than the V-Strom. After a few mods, I think the AT will be perfect.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2018 CRF1000L (or CRF1000AJ - the model-naming scheme Honda uses is confusing) from a gent on this site. At 6'6", I needed a taller bike than the 2008 V-Strom DL650 I was riding and I wanted a bike that has more off-road capability than the V-Strom. After a few mods, I think the AT will be perfect.
What part of NM?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Welcome Scott,
Another Scott here. Don't know much about NM riding. I figure one of these days I'll get there and do some exploring. Maybe while riding your new toy, you can stop once in a while and take a pic or two to show us some of NM. Good luck with it. I have the same, an '18 AT/AS/DCT and love it.
Scott

Reactions: Scott_NM

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
Welcome Scott,
Another Scott here. Don't know much about NM riding. I figure one of these days I'll get there and do some exploring. Maybe while riding your new toy, you can stop once in a while and take a pic or two to show us some of NM. Good luck with it. I have the same, an '18 AT/AS/DCT and love it.
Scott
My wife and I ride to NM frequently, but mostly around the Taos area. I used to co-organize a local Triumphs in Taos Rally there back in my Triumph days. Great riding in that area and I have tons of pics from there.

But most of our riding has been Northern, NM. We have only ventured south of Santa Fe by bike (several times by car) and that was to visit the VLA (Very Large Array) and Pie Town for the Pie Festival.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
"Pie Festival"!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you're talking!!!!!!!!!! I just might have to look into that and plan a trip around it. A long time ago, we were coming home from a trip and ventured into northern NM from the Pagosa Springs area of CO. We'd set up camp somewhere near there, can't remember the name of the area or campground. But, we were carrying our Goldwing on the coach and towing our Jeep. We'd decided to take a Wing ride from our camp over to Taos. We'd never been there so, road trip.

During that m/c ride, we came up that area where those boys and girls build houses out of coke bottles, old tires and whatever else they can muster up. What a weird place! Then, we went over that rather high bridge over some gorge and into Taos. Goofed around in Taos for about an hour or two, had some Mexican food, then headed back to camp. It was a great ride, about maybe 75 miles or so one way.
Scott

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
"Pie Festival"!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you're talking!!!!!!!!!! I just might have to look into that and plan a trip around it. A long time ago, we were coming home from a trip and ventured into northern NM from the Pagosa Springs area of CO. We'd set up camp somewhere near there, can't remember the name of the area or campground. But, we were carrying our Goldwing on the coach and towing our Jeep. We'd decided to take a Wing ride from our camp over to Taos. We'd never been there so, road trip.

During that m/c ride, we came up that area where those boys and girls build houses out of coke bottles, old tires and whatever else they can muster up. What a weird place! Then, we went over that rather high bridge over some gorge and into Taos. Goofed around in Taos for about an hour or two, had some Mexican food, then headed back to camp. It was a great ride, about maybe 75 miles or so one way.
Scott

If you came from Pagosa Springs, I am guessing you went through South on 84 through Chromo to 64 through Brazos and Tierra Ameriliia continuing on 64 past the Earthship Biotecture and over the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge into Taos :)

Cloud Sky Plant Building Landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Highland

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Land lot
Cloud Sky Plant community Plant Ecoregion

If you had come down on 285 through Antonito, CO, you could have also stopped at Cano's Castle. That's my old 2011 Tiger 800 XC :)

Sky Plant Cloud Tire Wheel
Sky Plant World Finial Facade

From Roadside America: Scrap aluminum gives the castle its dazzle: wire, hubcaps, grills, screen doors, window casements. Bicycle reflectors add notes of color. Countless beer cans, carefully cut apart, predominate. The tops and bottoms are nailed to the walls in repeating patterns; the middles have been turned inside-out and hammered flat to create aluminum siding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Scott,
Scott
Thanks Scott. This is a beautiful state, for sure. Can't wait to do some off road exploring on the AT.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,147 Posts
Hi and welcome

Reactions: Scott_NM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking about organizing a "big bike" ride in Jemez for May or June (see what the snow pack does). If anyone is interested, I'll make a post here when the time comes.
Definitely interested.

Have you ridden from the Ojito Wilderness (near San Ysidro) to Mt Taylor? Exploring that area is on my to-do list.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Definitely interested.

Have you ridden from the Ojito Wilderness (near San Ysidro) to Mt Taylor? Exploring that area is on my to-do list.
All of my riding has been in a range from Cochiti up to Platoro, CO. I got this bike to add some range to my exploration so I'm sure I could be convinced to come check that out. NMBDR is on my shortlist for the next couple of summers too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts