Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!
I picked up a shiny new 2017 DCT in red yesterday evening. I splurged for SW-Motech center stand, bash plate, and crash bars, and the OEM heated grips (They seem to work pretty well, despite all the complaints, but they are not super hot. I think they will be fine down to OC.

I just moved from Newfoundland to Vancouver on a KLR. I've done quite a few decent solo rides on the KLR, including the Newfoundland T'Railway several times, the Trans Labrador Highway twice, and across Canada from Cape Spear to Vancouver this past fall. I'm excited to ride in BC and everywhere else I can! :grin2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I'm still on the fence between the 2017 or the 2018. I'm waiting for some of the reviews to start coming in on the 18. Granted they'll be biased I'm sure. Anyway, where did you pick it up from? And can I asked the sales price? Did you pick up the accessories separate or through the dealer? So many questions...
Enjoy the bike.

V

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vapor,
I bought it from Chris at Carter Honda. He was great to deal with through the whole process and has a strong dirt background. I definitely recommend him. I paid the full retail price for the bike, so like 17k with PDI. I bought the sw-motech parts from the dealer as well. They looked better than the honda parts, and were all cheaper at the dealer than from twisted throttle. I paid $300 for them to install it all. The heated grips were $500 installed (probably should have just got some oxfords..) I also decided to get the 60 month extended warranty. That was another $1200. Out the door with tax, the bike was close to 22k. Pretty crazy when I went in planning on buying a bare bones manual AT for $15k. This is probably my last gas powered bike, and I'm planning in taking it to Alaska and South America before the warranty is out, so I managed to justify all the extras to myseld. I have a set of happy trail cascade panniers from my KLR that I'm going to get the racks for the AT and use those. The Honda panniers look ridiculously delicate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for update. I will likely head to Carter when it comes time to pulling the trigger on the bike. I will look Chris up. I've never been in the habit of buying an extended warranty, but after having one save me 15k on my car it's an expense I can get on board with. Alaska is definitely on the bucket list for me as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
mwmanuel
Welcome to BC! I'm also in Van, with 17AT. Good choice on the SWM parts. Consider adding Barkbuster VPS - every AT I've seen dropped has trashed the stock hand guards. Lots of good gravel roads to ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mwmanuel
Welcome to BC! I'm also in Van, with 17AT. Good choice on the SWM parts. Consider adding Barkbuster VPS - every AT I've seen dropped has trashed the stock hand guards. Lots of good gravel roads to ride.
Thanks. I need to check out some hand guards for sure, although I might just wait until I break mine first. I want the ones with the most wind protection I can find. It seems none are as good as the old KLR stock hand guards for wind protection.

·
Administrator
3,329 Posts
Thanks. I need to check out some hand guards for sure, although I might just wait until I break mine first. I want the ones with the most wind protection I can find. It seems none are as good as the old KLR stock hand guards for wind protection.

I went with the Barkbusters and Storm plastics on mine. They seem to work well. Certainly far better than the OEM. You can fit the BBZ covers over the Storm plastics for even more protection, but they seem a bit of an overkill for most use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sweet Bike, Just out of curiosity what's the engine casings like, are they pitted and splattered with filings from the castings or are they clean?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet Bike, Just out of curiosity what's the engine casings like, are they pitted and splattered with filings from the castings or are they clean?
I made sure to double check when I was picking up the bike because of that thread about that issue. They are impeccable- perfectly smooth finish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's great news as it sounds like the later 2017 models don't have the issue. Enjoy your ride and thank you for letting me know.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for update. I will likely head to Carter when it comes time to pulling the trigger on the bike. I will look Chris up. I've never been in the habit of buying an extended warranty, but after having one save me 15k on my car it's an expense I can get on board with. Alaska is definitely on the bucket list for me as well.
Just a little FYI, they have a great demo manual AT there with a yoshimura exhaust and a pile of farkles. I'm sure you could go test ride it any time.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Are you still riding out on the west coast? I saw that Whistler has powder on the ski hill already. Great new bike. You'll love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts