Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am sure this question has been done to death but here we go again. I have got the loan and all sorted out to buy a new AT and I need some help to make up my mind which bike to buy. I test rode the ATAS DCT model and was very impressed, the dealers don't seem to be keeping an ATAS manual demonstrator so I had a go on the 2018 standard in manual and felt much more at home with the manual gearbox. It's so hard to decide and an expensive mistake to make if I make the wrong choice long term. The problem is it wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples because the standard AT is obviously slightly different to the ATAS too.

So basically here are my thoughts:

I feel that Honda are really pushing the ATAS DCT and have alot of marketing to support this, hence no manual demonstrator

I felt more connected to the riding experience on the manual AT, but that could just be familiarity.

Is the AS sport worth the extra money from the standard bike and does the increases size make it more of a handful to manoeuvre

The wind buffeting on the ATAS was awful at anything over 50mph

Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated, the only other factor I am considering is I know I can pick up the ATAS DCT demonstrator model from a local dealer with 2500 miles on it at a real steal of a price!

****.............. what to do???!!!:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my opinion the DCT transmission is a complete game changer. It totally enhances the riding experience. I bought a 2014 NC700X DCT several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the trouble free bike. I plan on buying another Gold Wing (I have 2 now) in a year or so and won't even consider a manual trans. As far as wind on the AT you're right but it's not a Gold Wing.

Good Luck

Reactions: geirvmax

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the 2017 DCT. I think it depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. If it is mostly street and gravel, a DCT would be perfect. Don't know where you are, but if you plan on doing more challenging trails (jeep trails or single track) you should probably get the manual. The DCT weighs more, and has the potential of getting you stuck more permanently if it breaks. I've taken mine on some serious trails (some I probably shouldn't have been on), and there are some things I don't like. I can't feather the clutch, which makes steep uphills through rocks or over roots tough. The AT has a lot of torque and will tractor up pretty well, but if you get moving too slowly, it can be a bear. First gear is too high in my opinion, but I don't want to switch to a smaller front sprocket, as that will lower top speed, and interstate limits here are 80-85mph. This definitely isn't a dual-sport bike, but it has the chops to get closer than any other ADV bike. I love my DCT in the city and on fire roads, but would prefer the manual on gnarlier trails. I've decided to lower my expectations and keep to the less technical trails. May get a used DS if I can talk my wife into it. :)
Good Luck,
Mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got a DCT. I thought it was better offroad than on road. It took some futzing with the electronic gagetry to find a setting I liked for offroad but when I did it was awesome (Gravel, manual shifters with minimum TC)
I ADORE the DCT. I use a general auto setting when cruising on the street and switch to manual when lane splitting. I never thought I'd ever say this but I dont actually miss the clutch lever!
Oh and theres not a bike like it to get off the mark quickly at the lights....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm coming from another direction. I've put 6,000 miles on a DCT Africa Twin and a DCT NC700X. Just recently I bought a manual CRF250L to take off roading. I would have gotten a DCT version of that too if they had it, but they don't. I find having to shift the manual CRF250L to be a takeaway from my enjoyment of the ride. It's much nicer to get back on DCT bikes and forget about shifting and just enjoy the ride. That's what I bought the bikes for, enjoyment. For those that say manual is better off road, I always share this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3ijMbb82

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Is the AS sport worth the extra money from the standard bike and does the increases size make it more of a handful to manoeuvre"

I believe the ATAS is about $1500.00 more than the standard bike. It's worth that just for the upgrades that you will probably buy for the standard. As far as comparing the two I really can't. I will say that at 6'1'' I have no trouble flat footing the AS model. It is tall!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think u need to be over 6ft for the sport model.i haven’t been on one but the tank is way bigger.Probably an advantage in Australia or America etc but Europe has plenty of petrol stations dotted around so smaller tank give plenty of range.it has to affect maneuverability.Im 5/10.5 and hv a 17 manual.seat on lower level and can flat foot comfortably.850m.higher setting 870m.I think new sport is 895?.I tried the auto.lovely in city but I do long trips and I felt more comfortable and in control on manual.If I was to buy new goldwing I’d definitely go auto.

·
Registered
287 Posts
First off let me say ,I've not ridden a manual AT but I'm sure they're great, I've had 5 DCT bikes in the last 8 years, And every year Honda have made improvements, My 2016 Tri Colour AT was amazing I put on 18,500 miles in the first year and never had a problem with the DCT, I did have problems with the switches and the heated grips, I bought the low seat not because I couldn't reach the ground but because the std seat was really uncomfortable, I intended to have the low seat re done with some BMW seat foam, but tried the low seat and it was perfect for me and very comfortable, I still have the seat and use it every day
In april I bought the ATAS , had to have one and it had to be DCT , What a great bike, Honda sorted out most of the customer complaints on the previous bike, and up graded the DCT , WOW what a bike, and yes it is tall even for my 32 inseam but that's ok because I still have my low seat which fits the ATAS perfectly, As of yesterday I've done 7,530 miles on the new ATAS and loved every minute,
Michael, go for the DCT ATAS you won't regret it, I'm sure one of the new riding modes will suit your riding , and if not you can programme in your own on, Power , Engine braking, and Traction control, you can use it Manually or Automatic or use a bit of both, It's your choice, I'll be getting my 8,000 mile service done next week,
I did have new tyres fitted at around 5,000 miles , I was going to fit the Trail Attack 2s, but wanted to try the TKC 70s , and I've found them to be just as good in wet or dry,
OK enough of my ramblings , enjoy your new bike whichever one you go for, G :grin2:

·
Registered
800 Posts
My latest perspective is that I’d now go for the DCT version. I’ve ridden several DCT equipped models now over hundreds of miles and the new ‘18 version is the best yet. The way it blips on downshifts is excellent and as much as I love my manual AT, if I was changing to the AS, it’d definitely be the DCT I’d buy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am 5'10" and I bought the DCT AS, it is tall, but I put the seat in the lower position. I can flat foot one foot, balls of both feet if they are both down. My son is 5'8" and he rode it, but it was sketchy, he was tippy tippy toes when stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be buying a manual. Perhaps I'm a purist. But a big appeal to motorcycles (for me) is their mechaical essence. Feeling the wind, leaning, sliding, jumping, and shifting gears using a clutch. The involvement necessary from both arms and both legs is what makes it a magical man and machine interaction. Almost like a dance. The bike needs you and you need the bike. You KNOW what's going to happen, you make a split second move and the bike reacts. You make a mistake and you deal with the recourse.

I also never want to lose my abilities of feathering the clutch and shifting with my foot. Skills take practice.

I will really be riding this bike 50/50. I will be stalling it in difficult sections, and I'm certain I will be dropping it. But that's what makes riding a bike off-road such a unique experience.

Everything else in our lives is becoming automatic. We're losing touch with raw motorcycling when we have automatic transmissions, abs (that you cannot turn off), traction control, electronic suspensions, and more electronics than the moon lander.

I know electric motorcycles are coming and shifting will be a thing of the past. But until then, and even after, I want a motorcycle that burns dead dinosaurs, vibrates, needs me to shift, to brake, to lean, and I will hopefully have my skills to keep me out of trouble as much as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the input, a lot to consider and a lot of love for the DCT out there that's for sure! I had another test ride on the ATAS DCT and the manual standard model today again and I feel that it is going to have to be the manual box for me, I just feel more connected to the bike enjoy the feeling of the manual shifting to much to leave it behind. I am sure there are performance advantages in the DCT but for me that's not what its about. I also felt uncomfortable with it when filtering as you a dependent on throttle control and with the ride by wire sensitivity it just felt too unfamiliar. I can see how off road it may have advantages but I don't think I will be doing enough of that to justify that reasoning.

So having made the decision on the manual transmission, I now have to decide on whether to go for the AS or the standard. To be honest although the riding position appeals to me, I am not keen on the only colour option the red white and blue tricolour. I understand the homage to the original AT but its just a bit too much for me. I really like the look of the matt black model. I also felt the standard model was a bit easier to manoeuvre.

So one dilemma fixed only to have another one!

Thoughts????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts