Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
They don't go dead from sitting like an acid battery - but don't run it all the way down (like leaving the lights on) or you can ruin it. When I switched my Dewalt 18v batteries to the Lithium Ion I ruined the first set by running them all the way down like I did the regular ones. Doh!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a iode charger to give it a full charge when needed but so far not touched it. Due to bad weather and only 4 miles from work means they stay in the garage for a month or so, but weekends I try to get the bikes out and ride for an hour to get things moving, we'll that's my excuse.

·
Registered
382 Posts
They don't go dead from sitting like an acid battery - but don't run it all the way down (like leaving the lights on) or you can ruin it. When I switched my Dewalt 18v batteries to the Lithium Ion I ruined the first set by running them all the way down like I did the regular ones. Doh!
I believe that any branded quality after market lithium battery should have on-board circuitry that prevents this. Once the battery reaches a certain discharge it switches itself off to prevent damage. Some even have a warning light or will communicate this to your smart phone via an app. The only reason for a modern lithium to run down is if you have something on your bike that causes a constant draw. The usual suspect being a tracker as most quality alarms should go to sleep once the bike is parked up.. With only a tiny draw that shouldn't be problematic for weeks or even months at a time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
. The only reason for a modern lithium to run down is if you have something on your bike that causes a constant draw. The usual suspect being a tracker as most quality alarms should go to sleep once the bike is parked up.. With only a tiny draw that shouldn't be problematic for weeks or even months at a time.
Absolutely true. But I'll add that from what a Honda mechanic told me, the trackers can have a bigger draw than expected, especially if your bike is parked inside a garage or even worse in a underground car park, as it will draw more power to constantly search for signal. This will be a problem for both lithium and lead acid batteries. Plus lithium batteries also don't like the cold as much as lead acid. So if you are going to leave your bike unridden for more than a few days, put it on the trickle charger.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Plus lithium batteries also don't like the cold as much as lead acid. So if you are going to leave your bike unridden for more than a few days, put it on the trickle charger.
I will believe this when I see it happen to my bike that lives outside under a cover.. and is now experiencing its second winter. with no charger.

It also means that the specifications given for the battery are wildly optimistic. we never really see temperatures less than -10c in this country.

I imagine you are repeating anecdotes from people who actually do live in regions where extreme winter cold is normal and their bikes experience temperatures of less that -10c for periods at a time. Thats not really an issue here in the UK aside from a few isolated rural spots during really awful winters.

Don't believe everything you read.. It happens a lot. one persons exerience is not always the same for everyone. My experience of cold is not going to be the same as someone who lives in Canada. For example.

There is also the possibility that something else is going on and the issue is being misdiagnosed. Blamed on the new fangled battery.

Ive been reading stories all over the internet about problems with cold starting.. and I still don't know what on earth they are talking about. when they mention they live in eastern Europe... or parts of North America that experience extreme weather (by our standards), That kinda says it all.

meanwhile.. 2 winters. no charger and no problems even after the bike has stood for a fortnight. Thats been my experience. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I will believe this when I see it happen to my bike that lives outside under a cover.. and is now experiencing its second winter. with no charger.

It also means that the specifications given for the battery are wildly optimistic. we never really see temperatures less than -10c in this country.

I imagine you are repeating anecdotes from people who actually do live in regions where extreme winter cold is normal and their bikes experience temperatures of less that -10c for periods at a time. Thats not really an issue here in the UK aside from a few isolated rural spots during really awful winters.

Don't believe everything you read.. It happens a lot. one persons exerience is not always the same for everyone. My experience of cold is not going to be the same as someone who lives in Canada. For example.

There is also the possibility that something else is going on and the issue is being misdiagnosed. Blamed on the new fangled battery.

Ive been reading stories all over the internet about problems with cold starting.. and I still don't know what on earth they are talking about. when they mention they live in eastern Europe... or parts of North America that experience extreme weather (by our standards), That kinda says it all.

meanwhile.. 2 winters. no charger and no problems even after the bike has stood for a fortnight. Thats been my experience. :D

You said it yourself, your bike lives outside. So obviously, even assuming you do have a tracker, it won't be working overtime to get a signal. Therefore, any increased draw some people experience won't be further compounded by any issues of cold. My comment was mainly aimed at people who experience both cold and covered locations, which is what I experience. I've got ground floor parking under my building but lots of barred window openings, so it is usually as cold as outside in there. I had a few issues with the bike not wanting to start, and after getting it checked, the battery was in great condition but somehow getting discharged. Honda said the likely suspect was the tracker, and ever since I've been keeping her on the trickle charger, with no further issues.
Also as you say, it doesn't usually get that cold in the UK and it is indeed more likely that if anything, it will be in countries that experience significant time below zero that "might" have issues.
I was simply repeating what a qualified Honda mech told me. He said he would be waiting this winter to see how many people encounter issues with their lithium batteries, especially those fitted with trackers. He hoped that most wouldn't be affected, but indicated that now that some of the 18 models are approaching 2 years, it would be interesting to see how the batteries are doing this year and next.

By all means, I hope your battery and those of others continues to stay strong for years to come. But I'm also aware that with all the new electronics and accessories on bikes, plus with the batteries not being the same quality they used to be, there might be further issues. My 2004 Varadero, the batteries lasted each over 7 years. She always slept inside but never had to use a trickle charger. However, I also didn't have any accessories or tracker on her.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Here’s what I read; From the manufacturer who makes the battery. Short term storage - no tender needed, as long as it is at full charge. Long term (year or more) 0% drain (unhooked from any thing) must have 100% charge at start of storage.
Now of corse that goes with saying that if you have it attached to anything that is actively running, then you need to check and or charge it regularly, it is a battery after all and if it’s getting used by some device, but you gotta watch these battery tenders these batteries don’t like constant short discharge and recharge.
As for cold starts, I personally have not had ant issues, rode the other day it was 20*F/-6*C and she fired right up after setting for a few days in even colder weather...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had some issues with my battery not willing to start the bike. I have moved to Colorado and the baby sat in a frozen garage for a few weeks with no tender and no riding. It prompted me to install a pigtail for tender hook up and I am looking for a quality jump starter. I have not seen any reason for the discharge other than the cold environment. Hondas do tend to be cold blooded. I can attest to that with my 450x and a cold morning warmed up by a flurry of kick start attempts. Still have to say ride red.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts