Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2018 atas with 1 mile on the odometer maybe 2ish months ago. I secured a 3rd party loan, took that check to the dealership and rode off the lot.

In my excitement, I signed all the paperwork to fast and bolted out the door. Once I got to 500 miles, I toyed with the idea of letting the dealership doing the first oil change when I realized I dont remember seeing any paperwork about warranty. Pulled out the paperwork and sure enough... no warrenty, sold as is.

I bought enough cars from stealerships to know better, I've been victim of yo yo financing, told I was required to purchase GAP and service contracts, hidden damages etc. But something about buying a brand spankin new bike and all that experience went right out the window.

Did I get hosed? Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’d call the dealership and Honda. The warranty is through the manufacturer and the dealership should support it. However, ANY dealership can do warranty work, not just the one you bought the motorcycle from. By speaking with Honda, you can ensure they are aware of the situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Disregard, I have a factory warranty. The "no warrenty" on my paperwork referred to a dealer warrenty. I actually already went through this when we bought my wife a used 2016 Cherokee but I guess it just didnt click

·
Super Moderator
2,474 Posts
Yea 1 year is the factory standard, I ended up (by my choice) with 4 extra years, in my book there are waaaaayyy to many sensors, relays, and electronic’s that could crap out on it. So I got it as more of an insurance policy, hopefully it will end up one of those things - if I hadn’t of got it I would of wished I had - now that I have it I won’t (hopefully) need it...

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Do you only get 1 year in the USA?

It's two years warranty in the UK for Hondas.
Yes, just 1 year in the US for all but the Goldwing which has 3.

You can purchase up to 5 additional years extended warranty through Honda at any time during the factory warranty period.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, just 1 year in the US for all but the Goldwing which has 3.

You can purchase up to 5 additional years extended warranty through Honda at any time during the factory warranty period.
Based on all the recalls, I broke down and ponied up for the extended warranty one day before my factory warranty expired. I tried to leverage the issues to get a discount at dealer and Honda Canada levels with no luck. In Canada it seems you can only buy 4 years additional for 5 total. Although they market it as a '5 year warranty'.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Based on all the recalls, I broke down and ponied up for the extended warranty one day before my factory warranty expired. I tried to leverage the issues to get a discount at dealer and Honda Canada levels with no luck. In Canada it seems you can only buy 4 years additional for 5 total. Although they market it as a '5 year warranty'.
That is a bit different. Here the marketing is "1-year limited warranty + 5 years Honda Protection Plan for up to 6 years Genuine Honda Protection." Pretty straightforward and of course you can add fewer additional years than 5 if you wish. I got the roadside with mine, which I have had to use a few times. Once on a ride where I didn't bring my tools/patches and picked up a nail, once when I ran out of gas about 4 miles from town, and last summer where it had a bit of an off-road incident and had to be towed. It has been pretty trouble-free to use. They show up and it's all "Your auto club has taken care of everything."

I am also glad that we did get it on my wife's 2017. Her bike is in the shop at 3.5 years old with a couple of issues the dealer is having a hard time troubleshooting. But at least it will all be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
123 Posts
Bought mine at the time of purchase. It was the only thing that the dealer was unwilling or unable to move on, price-wise.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
393 Posts
That is a bit different. Here the marketing is "1-year limited warranty + 5 years Honda Protection Plan for up to 6 years Genuine Honda Protection." Pretty straightforward and of course you can add fewer additional years than 5 if you wish. I got the roadside with mine, which I have had to use a few times. Once on a ride where I didn't bring my tools/patches and picked up a nail, once when I ran out of gas about 4 miles from town, and last summer where it had a bit of an off-road incident and had to be towed. It has been pretty trouble-free to use. They show up and it's all "Your auto club has taken care of everything."

I am also glad that we did get it on my wife's 2017. Her bike is in the shop at 3.5 years old with a couple of issues the dealer is having a hard time troubleshooting. But at least it will all be covered under warranty.
I've had to use the odd roadside coverage before through one insurance plan or another. Its always been a pretty hassle free experience. I once had a tow dispatched by a team of people in Germany, to me and my bike stranded in the middle of nowhere in Baja. It arrived quickly, he drove me three hours, helped me get all my **** in and out of the truck and into my hostel and brought me a couple hydration drinks because I'd been in the desert midday in June for several hours. He even gave a good attempt to refuse a tip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts